I bought a house (+ Taiwan Home Loan Interest Calculator)

LOL at top comment. They only call people who have had car loans. My wife has never had a car loan or a mortgage. The call the owner of the car who had the loan. I removed my name from the screenshot. They follow up with an sms.

Fuzzy filled the mortgage information online using his Taiwan ID card and Chinese name. How were they going to assume he was a foreigner? It’s also a common assumption some Taiwanese have a foreign spouse. :slight_smile:

A lot of the foreigners I know who got credit cards car loans mortgages business loans do not have a Taiwanese spouse. Much was posted on this site back in 2006 on how to do so as a foreigner with no local spouse. Also I know foreigners who signed as guarantors for Taiwanese to get a loan.

I go to replace the battery in my Ranger. Costs around 4k plus. Young sales lad says sir you should buy a new car instead of spending money buying an expensive battery. I told that you man you sure must be good at math. Spend lets say 2 million on a new vehicle and the minute I drive it away the resale value is 1.7 million. So lose 300k instead of buying a new battery for 4K. Sounds very logical. BTW the sales manager that did my loan and her husband become good friends with us. She is just watching and laughing at the young sales lad. A for effort though.

I had researched what vehicle I wanted. Ford Ranger VW Amarok Toyota. I drive up to the Ford Center in Chiayi. Luckily they had a ranger on the showroom floor. Spoke with the sales manager explained my income was paid overseas. No issue with that just gave them 12 months pdf from HSBC HK.

I asked for options, ARB Bull bar, two driving lights, larger screen for dash map etc.
Sorted the price, they said a week to deliver with options, I said no problems going overseas diving for two weeks. What shocked them was that I knew what I wanted. Had all the forms filled out in 45 mins while drinking coffee. Most of the time people just come in a don’t buy.

How much was the down payment?

In the US, first time homebuyers of owner-occupied houses can usually get as little as 3% down, though I imagine there’s much more scrutiny than pre 2008. 30% usually needed for rentals. But I tried multiple US banks’ online mortgage application and they will only allow US current address and employer at all the ones I tried. So I’m pretty sure you’re stuck going in person to apply so that you can get around that tiny detail of needing to prove you’re employed…

1 Like

15%, so just 870,000 NT$

2 Likes

Hi, the dropbox link has expired, would it be possible to resent it, i’m interested in your excel file! thank you in advance

I realized after I posted 591 shows the down payment on houses. Honestly, buying a house seems a helluva lot cheaper than renting here. Just need to save up first.

Like everything, it depends.

1 Like

where? not in Taipei from my experience.

2 Likes

It is almost impossible to buy in Taipei city if you work regular jobs for less than 20 years.

Renting in other cities might not be more expensive, but if you have pets or children, or any reason why it would not be possible to move in a couple of weeks after being given a notice by the landlord, then buying is worth paying 10K more a month. Taiwan’s laws or at least the way they are enforced, simply don’t offer renters much protection.

1 Like

Yeah pets and being blamed over weird things. Plus inability to upgrade areas of the apartment that are nasty/rotting. I would rather save and buy a house. Looking at 3mill range and it’s less than what I pay a month. Yeah it takes 20 or so years but I would rather pay for my own mortgage than a landlords for 20 years lol. For me personally it really depends if I can get a scholarship for my masters. Otherwise I have to wait a bit more.

Sorry for rambling but damn owning a house in most cases seems like an upgrade here.

1 Like

If you know you are going to live there for a long time.
I know someone who thought he was going to live in new Taipei for all his life. He is not living there anymore, mortgage is more than double of the rent plus all the problem when you rent. He will probably sell and lost some money and years of life.

2 Likes

This is less than I pay on rent. Not sure how it can be double unless they only paid 5,000 for a shitty tiny apartment before or if they got one over 3 million with a 10 year loan.

I dont understand ,you want to buy a place for 3 million NTD, where?
This isn’t the 1990s you know.

4 Likes

Here’s a OneDrive link :

https://1drv.ms/x/s!ArExeYxrOo5UlK5Go_He87agJhIn3w?e=2hKMmT

Let me know if you are able to download this, otherwise, I will make a Google Sheet version.

1 Like

it works, thanks a lot!

1 Like

Current young buyers are relying on parents to provide the house. Previous generation could still afford place on two salaries - hence a whole generation raised by buxiban. Elders got rich on the 70/80s boom.

Next up are doomed.

6 Likes

What is interesting to me, how prices keep going up in Taiwan. I mean there is nothing special about owning home in Taiwan. And is not immigration friendly country neither.

In Europe we have massive immigration and would make sense to buy, cause you want to live long term here and have to consider how many people are moving to Europe. You can be pushed out of the market. There is more people than avaliable houses. As well living in Europe comes with life balance, public pensions, free education. No such things in Taiwan. And demographics is poor as well. Next to risk China send your apartment to ground.

I would buy something small in Taiwan, under 10 mio, preferable under 7 mio.
It is so much risk, wouldn’t be comfortable own a place above 10 mio

4 Likes

I agree. That’s why I went with the cheapest one I could find, not the best one I could afford.

2 Likes