I could fight everyday (and that's not good)/non-rant^^

some of you who don’t live in the south central part of taiwan probably can’t relate to this.( by the way, i’m a in a great mood today and am not ranting).
in these parts, you will be much more aware that you are the odd one out. though most people are nice, you will run into a lot of people who will make you feel unwelcome. they will do these thru many and various shows of total disrespect for you as a human being. they will do various sorts of hick shit to you to make you feel uncomfortable. ALL of the perpetrators of this will of course be male. women don’t engage in this stupid stuff. but it’s the sort of stuff that, if i wanted to, i could go to fists over. and it happens, like fucking 3 times a week at least. i believe there are some shows of disrespect that qualify as “blood disrespect” (disrespects for which blood must be extracted). and MEN down here definitely test that line with me nearly everyday. of course when i show facially that i’m not the guy you oughta fuck with, they back down and snicker.
doesn’t bother me lately. but realizing that i COULD go at it on a daily basis makes me wanna live somewhere else. i don’t recommend the countryside for newcomers.

Oh, I see, I’ve been reading your tag all wrong, it should be “rant he man” . . . no?

HG

I think it’s funny that you had to add “non-rant” to the thread title :slight_smile:

I think it’s even funnier that that trick worked. This is the first thread of yours I clicked on in months :slight_smile:

It’s not always easy, being a minority. :frowning:

But hey, thinking about it, I’d much rather be a white guy living Taiwan than an African-American living in Alabama in the 50’s. :slight_smile:

Any examples? I’m interested.

“De man jess be keepin’ a brother down!..sho’ nuff ran…sho’ nuff”

rantheman, can you elaborate on what you mean by “blood disrespect”?

i have relatives down there and plan on visiting them sometime without the parental units. i’d like to have an idea of what to expect.

Ran The Man is a little strange, but I like him. :slight_smile:

For the record, I lived in Nan Tze for the first year I stayed in Taiwan which is just north of Kaohsiung. There were no other foreigners around but I never came across any silly behaviour that made me feel unwelcome.
What kinds of things are you talking about?

Can’t say that I know the feeling on a daily basis.

Not even a weekly basis.

I could though, if I went looking for it.

how did this even get posted? i canceled it!!!

but anyway since we’re here:

yeah, the guys here push it sometimes. but i can be pretty menancing when i want to, so that’s that. it never escalates because:

a. i don’t want to
b. they don’t want to

but your chance of getting into it is a lot higher down here. i’m not a big caucasian so they step over the line with me whereas they probably wouldn’t with someone say, sandman’s height.
today has been a lovely day. don’t know why i went into this topic. that’s why i canceled it! damn. what happened?

okay mordeth asked for examples:

damn. drawing a blank. lets just say it’s the total amount of hick shit they do. but like i said, most people are nice. i really don’t know why i wrote this. i have like ZERO anger for the past week. it’s weird. am i becoming braindead or something? i mean, i should be pissed but i feel so calm lately. wierd. maybe i’m growing up.

Sh*t happens when ya least expect it.

Peace be upon you & yours. :angel:

[quote=“rantheman”]
but your chance of getting into it is a lot higher down here. I’m not a big caucasian so they step over the line with me whereas they probably wouldn’t with someone say, sandman’s height.[/quote]

I am not a big caucasian either. I don’t find the need to stare people down though, actually, I don’t see the need.

There are morons everywhere, in every country. Taiwan is no different.

Personally, I think calling them out as hicks is a little unfair (although I’ve probably posted it before). There are hicks everywhere, just not here. (I hear upstate NY has some too
:wink: are you there JD?) :laughing: :laughing:

If I am down on myself I will not walk with confidence. Jerks everywhere pick up on that. If I am up… dude, I am untouchable, no matter what my size. I don’t need a dirty look because I don’t become a victim.

Jesus Ran, doesn’t it ever strike you as odd that you seem to be the only one who gets this? Don’t you think there may be something in that? You know, like the fact you’re eternally convinced the entire world is out to fuck with you?

He’s not the only guy who gets it. I get it mostly from the guys who actually go out of their way to knock shoulders with you as they walk past. That is something I have always gotten here. The trick to avoiding it is not looking anybody in the eye and walking in a fairly determined way. Then if they still want to knock shoulders with you tense up that side of your body so it is at least an unpleasant experience for them. Childish shit I know but it’s either that or go around jumping out of the way of fifteen assholes a day.

I don’t get it. While I live in the city, and not in the country, I do frequent it often enough. I have never had much of a problem with anyone giving me a hard time because I stand out.

I’m not a huge chap, 193 cm & 100 kgs, but not exactly small either. And I always look everyone in the eye as we walk past each other. And I suppose I always walk in a “fairly determined way”. In eight years the only problems I have had have been while driving when I swore and/or made rude gestures to the wrong people (cops and gangsters). And these incidents were entirely my own fault for not showing enough restraint, or doing a little recce on the occupants of the offending vehicle.

In all these incidents I either deflated the tension by giving them the psycho bug eye visage, or by creating a diversion and punching a hole out of the shituation. Being in the military for a few years pays off sometimes. That and my orangutan-style arms. A rebel-yell or Indian war cry works wonders too…

Seriously, I had more problems on the street back home than I have ever had here.

One thing about being a foreigner in Taiwan. If you think people are giving you are hard time, then you will see more of it. It will become a self-fulfilling prophecy. imagined or otherwise. I used to get antsy when people swore at me, or called me a foreign devil, etc, but now I just laugh and give them a look like I am retarded or something, along with a few grunting noises. Or swear at them in Japanese, that gets them wondering…

Also, try listening to the Kinks’ “Apeman”. Good for the humility.
Lastly: “You’ve got to roll with the punches, and get to what’s real” or something like that from some long forgotten Van Halen song. “Jump”, perhaps. Very weak song, but I’ve always liked that line.

Maybe you forget to wipe the toothpaste from your mouth after you brush your teeth in the morning.

I don’t really get what your saying, but I never lived in the south. I lived in Hualian. I remember one time a guy going by in his motorcycle said, “You’re white.” At least I think he did. Too bad hindsight’s 20/20 or I would’ve shouted back “And you’re not!”

last night some probably low-mid level mafioso yelled at us. they crossed the road during a green light suddenly, with children. i don’t know why, but i didn’t feel ANYTHING AT ALL, except “i’m definitely glad i didn’t hit the children”. it’s like lately, i don’t feel ANY anger whatsoever. it’s like, when people do dumb stuff, i realized that i COULD’NT BE ANY WORSE THAN THEM UNLESS I TAKE THE BAIT. that’s what people try to do. bait you so they can “prove” they’re better than you. that’s their whole M.O.,… that and getting what they want at any cost.

lately i tell myself: “do not fear and you will not hate, do not hate and you will never fear”. the problem is not them but our fear of them. don’t fear them and you won’t hate them and wanna eliminate their type. they have a right to exist too. though they intrude into our lives ever so often, we can be big enough to allow their yelling “GAN EE NYA” and other stuff.

Maybe that’s the key: no fear.

[quote=“rantheman”]last night some probably low-mid level mafioso yelled at us. they crossed the road during a green light suddenly, with children. I don’t know why, but I didn’t feel ANYTHING AT ALL, except “I’m definitely glad I didn’t hit the children”. it’s like lately, I don’t feel ANY anger whatsoever. it’s like, when people do dumb stuff, i realized that I could’NT BE ANY WORSE THAN THEM UNLESS I take THE BAIT. that’s what people try to do. bait you so they can “prove” they’re better than you. that’s their whole M.O.,… that and getting what they want at any cost.

lately i tell myself: “do not fear and you will not hate, do not hate and you will never fear”. the problem is not them but our fear of them. don’t fear them and you won’t hate them and wanna eliminate their type. they have a right to exist too. though they intrude into our lives ever so often, we can be big enough to allow their yelling “GAN EE NYA” and other stuff.[/quote]

It’s wise not to take the bait in an instance like this. Are you a magnet for this kind of thing? What county do you live in?

Next time if you can react quick enough try a litle visual sarcasm. It usually goes right over their heads. Give 'em a big thumbs up and grin like an idiot at a sports event during those commercials. It’ll make you feel better. Works for me when I’m driving around and I feel like yelling at someone.

Chinese kultur just doesn’t understand sarcasm much.

And no fear is the key. Or not showing it anyway.