I disagree with Feiren's libelous characterization

I can understand how words can move from common usage to being unacceptable. Sometimes people will, out of habit, use words in an ongoing manner that they deem respectable. However, some words are long overdue for the dustbin as being hurtful and spiteful, such is the word in question

If a debate over the use of the word “papist” is deserving of so much time from such a varied and intelligent group as the members here, I will propose another term perhaps equally as discriminatory - the word “HillBilly.”

Its perjorative and demeaning application in common useage agrieves and demeans myself, my preceding ancestors and persons from their ancestral environs.
While many of them may well prefer trodding about unshod and wearing denim cover-alls, we do feel that the slouch hat depicted is an insult. This must be stopped.

The most common images - lazing about on a rickety wooden porch, playing a three stringed banjo, drinking 'shine from a crockery jug while a multi-breed hound sleeps amongst the buzzing of flies - images such as this are cruel and unworthy of the true hardworking nature of this cultural demographic.

HillBillys represent a cornucopia of the immigrant experience to North America and the world. From automotives to cuisine to genetic research and early pioneering in express package delivery, HillBilly have been the benchmark for success.

This discriminatory pattern must halt!

I await the outrage!