I donno, I still prefer the Mandarin spoken in Taiwan

youtube.com/watch?v=rfvgvicg … ed&search=

Mandarin spoken in China … pAH… I prefer the Taiwanese Mandarin :smiley:

I agree, and despite four years in HK and a mainstay of colleagues from the mainland, Taiwanese mandarin just slides effortlessly into comprehension. There’s no work there at all. But blokes from north China . . . I’d rather listen to jets readying for take off.

HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]I agree, and despite four years in HK and a mainstay of colleagues from the mainland, Taiwanese Mandarin just slides effortlessly into comprehension. There’s no work there at all. But blokes from north China . . . I’d rather listen to jets readying for take off.

HG[/quote]

Ya !! How come the Chinese in China cant speak proper Mandarin !! :smiley: :smiley:

… but she is sooo cute…!!!

What on earth was that hideous noise? :noway:

It is not like the Mandarin spoken from Taiwan came from the mainland… :noway:

Depends, there are various accents on Taiwan and the mainland that are appealing.

well those guys in the song just sounds like the Chinese equivalent of the Ozarkian version of American english :stuck_out_tongue:

Could it be the girl selected that song for it’s comic effect?

That girl has a whole group of people producing her vids. And its all about comedy. Quite good too. She has several clips out.

For me it depends. My Chinese teacher (Beijing), my wife and most of her mom’s side of the family (Taiwan, but more recently descended from mainland) sound quite clear to me, but my father in-law’s (Taiwan, family has been here for several generations) Mandarin is extraordinarily hard to understand. Granted, I’m not entirely fluent yet.

youtube.com/watch?v=mA88lRsrhc4

Here she is doing a cover a Euro-trance song, (I think it first hit as an Italian song). Never heard the Chinese version. But at least it is not gay as the US version.

youtube.com/watch?v=N-yJojrC … ed&search=

But listening to her talk, her regional accent is not that heavy. She actually tries surpress her natural accent for the first 3 sentences. Then slips up and you hear a northern “v” replacing “w”. And then she does what annoys me the most on the mainland, she doesn’t finishes her words clearly and rushes through them (describing her shirt). But then she composes herself and finishes her speech in a cute and adorable manner that would do any internet cutie proud.

Maybe you need to listen more to MC Hotdog. Even I can’t understand everything he raps without the subtitles

The girl’s and those guys’ mandarin are ok with me.
They are pretty clear to me.
But some of Chinese with heavy local tone that are very hard to understand.

She didnt sing that song. Here is the Singaporean girl that did:

youtube.com/watch?v=mQ1qyL3_tN8

Which was a cover of a Romanian group:

youtube.com/watch?v=BgU_m3SuYPE

p.s. she speaks fine tho. sorta like a Taiwanese girl in some parts, until she slips up :sunglasses: (not saying shes trying to sound Taiwanese tho)

shes becoming a little internet star

youtube.com/watch?v=gVlAOR-o … ed&search=

youtube.com/watch?v=RWcY_DGQ … ed&search=

I have to really pay attention to understand what they are saying !!

To me, the Mandarin spoken by well-educated young people who grew up in Taipei is essentially “accentless”. Beijing Mandarin really grates at my nerves, as does Mandarin with a very strong Taiyu accent.

I speak “Taipei” mandarin but with a slightly stronger (then I would like it to be ) Taiyu accent :stuck_out_tongue:

But the Mainlanders would definitely say that the Taipei-ians speak with an accent thats not native to China.

Ditto.

And don’t get me started on Cantos speaking Mandarin!

I’m currently looking out for a classical phrase I heard recently, something about:

“I’d rather listen to two people from Ningbo fighting than Cantonese talk of love.”

It should make a nice addition to my over used “tian bu pa, di bu pa, zhi pa Guangdong ren shuo putonghua” (nothing I fear on heaven and earth like a Cantonese speaking Mandarin).

With some HK folks jubilantly prattling on about throwing off the colonial yolk and rejoining the mothership and what not I have lots of use for these sorts of phrases, so if you have any others, I’d be happy to hear and use them.

HG

[quote=“tommy525”]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWcY_DGQ8hI&mode=related&search=

I have to really pay attention to understand what they are saying !![/quote]
She sounds like such a Chinese blonde. Not to mention she’s jail bait at the moment. Tommy I suggest you move on with this one, stalk her in 5 years or so when she’s legal… :laughing:

Not to mention she’s a self proclaimed “Chinese girl.” You should support the 3 links so that she’ll be able to come to Taiwan in under 5 hours. :laughing:

Or she can get to Taiwan via the illegal links, you know the one where they turf the birds out to drown at the first sign of the police.

Such an honourable people.

HG

Did they do that to Yao Ming when he came over last week?

I’m pretty sure that kind of treatment is reserved for the Vietnamese and Filipino in Taiwan.
The DPP are such a terrible lot handling foreign affairs… :laughing: