I donno, I still prefer the Mandarin spoken in Taiwan

Well then you’d be wrong, and it isn’t really a laughing matter.

[quote]
Two Chinese mainland stowaways weep after being arrested by the Taiwan Coast Guard at Taichung harbour August 26, 2003. At least six illegal mainland immigrants drowned at sea off Taiwan after human smugglers threw them and 15 others overboard to lighten their load so they could speed away from authorities.[/quote]

HG

All the more reasons why the DPP suck at foreign affairs. If they open the 3 links, I don’t think anyone would need to be tossed overboard to run away from the ROC authorities. They just lie to customs at the international airport like everyone else trying to get onto the island without an ARC.

I understand the skipper and others on that boat case are being tried for murder. They are not getting away with it. Despicable deed they did. Totally despicable. If I was the judge , I would sentence them to drown the same way. PUt in the middle of the Taiwan Strait. IF they make it to shore? They are free. Otherwise? Tuff.

Yes definitely the Chinese are coming one way or another. When are the Chinese tourists supposed to arrive? And the cross strait flights should begin. IN a sense we are already being served by Chinese owned airlines like Dragon Air, Air Macau, Cathay Pacific . All these airlines have Chinese shareholding. And CAL and EVA have shares in Chinese airlines. So, its really stupid not to begin direct flights.

But they may not be soon in coming because I just read FAT is going to start an airline in China as well as an airline in Korea to facilitate cross strait travel . They are already cooperating for a one plane switch over in cheju I understand. FAT to cheju and then switch to a mainland carrier.

by the way AC, the little one has no worry from me. I hear there are PLENTY of cuties in their twenties and thirties over on the mainland !! We dont just want CUTE ( hello kitty) , we want SEXY (like Jolin) :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Don’t forget that Asia is an integral part of China and soon everyone will be speaking Mandarin badly. Let a hundred flowers blossom and a hundred schools of thought contend, as a big fat self-indulgent pervert once said.

If you’ve gone to the mainland recently, especially around the urban centers, you sometimes ask yourself where are the old people. Whole cities filled with 20 -30 years-old looking for a good time.

PRC is a big place, I’m sure you’ll find what you’re looking for.

If regional accents are important to you, I suggest you stick to Southern coastal urban areas, where the Mandarin most resemble the ones spoken in Taiwan.

Depends on the speaker as well. Sometimes 臺妹that speak in the Taipei slangs and use a lot of Tai-yu inflections also grate on my nerves.

But the only ones speaking Mandarin badly are the Chinese :slight_smile: :slight_smile: (just kidding just kidding)

[quote=“ac_dropout”]If you’ve gone to the mainland recently, especially around the urban centers, you sometimes ask yourself where are the old people. Whole cities filled with 20 -30 years-old looking for a good time.

PRC is a big place, I’m sure you’ll find what you’re looking for.

If regional accents are important to you, I suggest you stick to Southern coastal urban areas, where the Mandarin most resemble the ones spoken in Taiwan.

Depends on the speaker as well. Sometimes 臺妹that speak in the Taipei slangs and use a lot of Tai-yu inflections also grate on my nerves.[/quote]

Ya, but is it true that the cuties are up north? That the southern Chinese are short and dark? Northern Chinese are taller and cuter? Any truth to that?

If you want to sound like a Beijinger, take a mouthful of gravel and get someone to punch you in the face. Now talk.

[quote=“tommy525”]
Ya, but is it true that the cuties are up north? That the southern Chinese are short and dark? Northern Chinese are taller and cuter? Any truth to that?[/quote]
Uhm, sure, and all the best looking girls in Taiwan are WSR. Just look at the background of most of the major starlets in Taiwan. WSR all of them.

That’s just a stereotype. There are like a billion of people there.

In general I would say they are taller up North. But it comes with a draw back that if you’re into the waif look, size 0-1 under 100 lb, its kind of hard to find in the north as well. You might have to settle for a size 2 at 115 lbs.

Anecdotally speaking, I also observed bigger breast sizes in the Mainland as compare to the Taiwan.

But seriously don’t take my word for it. Just hop on a plane ride and discover all the fun for yourself.

Anyways everyone knows the best of Chinese beauty are in Hunan. Just look at Xin Zhui (Madame Dai), army of men lay down their lives for this mother of all beauties.

size 2 , 115 pounds?? hahaha . I think I can handle that. Compared to the girls here in California??? Where size 5 is already very very rare. CAlifornia the land of the BBW !!

p.s.

did you say BIGGER BREAST sizes then TAiwan? Well that cant hurt !!

p.p.s. yes yes, we are just DOGS !!!

I was in Qingdao a few years back, at the Tsingtao Brewery. I don’t believe I have even seen that many lovely C cup girls. Must have been the beer the locals drink.

I thought Hollywood made sure most girls in LA would have eating disorders to combat the rise of BBW.

haha@AC. Nothing like 34c .

But that being said, lets try to steer this thread back to an ACADEMIC discussion of the LANGUAGE and not the girls (hehe).

I wonder if the Chinese themselves find each other hard to understand? And since they blabber in their own dialects still, how are they going to improve and have a “national mandarin”.

We have some regional accents in the USA. But they dont revert to another dialect in their own neighborhoods generally. And Americans can understand new yorkers and texans etc.

Maybe when they encounter a regional accent for the first time. Just like Americans that hear a regional accent of English for the first time.

Other than that there shouldn’t be any major problems in communicating among fluent Mandarin speakers the world over. Just like fluent English speakers.

Depends where you live. I’ve observered in area where there are no ethnic majority in the US, that people will revert their mother tongue instead of English.

In those areas I’m commonly referred to as “Chino_Suave,” instead of ac_dropout.

Anyways accents are a great ice-breaker for meeting Chinese girls for ABC. Because that’s the first things Chinese girls will ask you “You don’t sound local, where are you from?”

That’s when you whip out the passport of love and say “I’ve been abroad for so long, please help me get adjusted to life in Taiwan/HK/China. I’m out of underwear too. Can we go shopping?”

There’s nothing more pathetic than a couple of middle aged chuckleheads jabbering on about the best places to perv.

Better to have perved and lost, than to have never perved at all… :laughing: