I dont believe in the abolition of the death penalty either

taiwannews.com.tw/etn/news_c … id=2200581

Taiwan is sort of like Texas. Some hardened criminals deserve execution. The only problem is to make sure to have the right man or woman.

Seems like some really hard core , vicious people got executed.

Nobody ever comments on Texas or the US’s use of death penalty, but would pick on Taiwan the first chance they get because they can? (for example the EU keeps getting on Taiwan’s case about capital punishments). So what do they expect us to do with mass murderers, put them in jail for 10 years and let them out in 5 on good behavior like they do in most EU countries?

The boston bomber , although only 19 should serve 30 years behind bars and then face execution. He should never see time outside of jail.

The EU regularly comments on death penalty cases in Texas.
news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6957390.stm
dw.de/justice-is-debatable-i … a-16365696
guardian.co.uk/world/2011/de … commission

Hard to imagine “Carlos the Jackal” or Armin “the canibal of Rotenberg” Meiwes getting time off their sentences for good behavior.

guardian.co.uk/world/2011/de … e-sentence
smh.com.au/news/world/german … 96076.html

He should be executed right after having the death sentence handed down… why waste so much money keeping him in jail for 30 years? Maybe like strap a bomb to him and blow him up, after all that’s how some Islamist extremist wants to go…

He should be executed right after having the death sentence handed down… why waste so much money keeping him in jail for 30 years? Maybe like strap a bomb to him and blow him up, after all that’s how some Islamist extremist wants to go…[/quote]

30 years behind bars is no picnic. Instant death is being way too kind to him.

In the US, it actually costs the govt more to carry out the death penalty than it does to keep someone locked up for life.

The US should farm its executions out to the Chinese.

Jails are good business.

What a load of drivel.

That’s mostly legal cost, with adjustments to the system it doesn’t have to cost the government much other than the equipment/bullets used to execute the criminal. Honestly I think it’s less humane to lock someone up for 25 years then execute him, costs the government a lot of money/space to house them too. I’d say do it Chinese style… like back in the old day where they take them out back after sentencing and hang them. Costs nothing except for the rope used.

I read that they did executions in the evening time because when they used to do it early morning, neighbors complained about gunshot noise… a simple solution would be lethal injection or just hanging. Or get in touch with those frogmen… they know how to kill someone without making any noise.

Only because Amnesty International, the ACLU, and a hundred other groups file garbage appeals to clog up the courts. Look at the Troy Davis case a few years ago – constant streams of lies about how he must be innocent, always failing to mention the gun and bloody clothing found in Davis’ house; appeals based on “new evidence” and witnesses “retracting” their statements, when neither of these were ever really what happened.

In one of the last of the appeals cases, the judge went so far as to threaten sanctions against the attorneys appealing for Davis because of all the frauds they were trying to commit upon the court.

Streamline the system, get rid of the garbage appeals, and stop paying for public defenders after one appeal at each level, and the costs would disappear.

Of the 1200 or so death penalty convictions in the US since 1976, 140 were later exonerated during the appeals process and 40 were shown to be innocent after execution. When the courts are getting it completely wrong 1 in every 7 cases, the appeals process is very necessary. Streamlining it or reducing it will just result in more wrongful executions.

1 in 7 death penalty convictions have been of innocent people, and 1 in 5 of those were only discovered after it was too late.

I remember Ghandi saying something about eyes…

Imagine Taiwan Justice System and Death penalty and You as Innocent Suspect murder case? How would you feel about that? Do you have confidence they would get the right man?

Imagine Taiwan Justice System and Death penalty and You as Innocent Suspect murder case? How would you feel about that? Do you have confidence they would get the right man?

Are you sure about that? If so, that’s f-ing mental. They seem to be less trigger-happy here, but I wonder what the figure is for Taiwan’s chabuduo system.

Well either way your life is screwed whether you get death or life or 15 years. Even if they exonerate you years and years later what’s that going to do? Your life is effectively ruined in any case. We’re not talking about people wrongly convicted, and while I don’t believe that anyone has the right to kill anyone because of his crimes, what do we do with people who there is absolutely no question of his guilt, he is unlikely to ever reform, and is a danger to society? Should the government spend millions of dollars to keep this person locked away forever? It’s more humane to simply kill him instead of locking him in a cell the rest of his life, where he might actually escape and cause more harm to the society. Already in the EU people only get 15 years at the most for horrible crimes like mass murder. In fact that guy who killed 70 people in Norway is only getting something like 22 years in prison because there is no death penalty in nearly all EU countries (and they have a maximum prison term, there is no such thing as life without parole). How would the family of the victim feel that this person could one day be free to terrorize the population again?

Also since there is already a rather high profile case of wrongful execution in Taiwan (it was a military tribunal), it isn’t something any prosecutor wants on his conscience. Unlike some less developed countries where they might just be looking for someone to punish and will convict someone even if his innocence is clear based on available evidence.

Obviously I dont support execution unless the crimes are grave and the persons is guilty beyond virtually all doubt. Not just reasonable doubt.

There was one high profile case where someone executed did not do the crime. IIRC it was an Air Force person convicted of killing a girl. HE was later proven to be innocent. The ones that found him guilty escaped all punishment.

So yes, there must be certainty.

[quote=“cfimages”]Of the 1200 or so death penalty convictions in the US since 1976, 140 were later exonerated during the appeals process and 40 were shown to be innocent after execution. When the courts are getting it completely wrong 1 in every 7 cases, the appeals process is very necessary. Streamlining it or reducing it will just result in more wrongful executions.

1 in 7 death penalty convictions have been of innocent people, and 1 in 5 of those were only discovered after it was too late.[/quote]

Do you have a source for that?

If that’s true then it’s appalling. Has the rate of wrongful convictions reduced as forensic methods have become better?