I don't care where, as long as there is Belgian Beer!

Yet another student off to Taiwan! I’ll be at NTU in Taipei this fall, studying Chinese and doing whatever crazy things come to mind. I’m pretty excited, and I’ve got about a month to go before I head out.

Of course, I’d also like to say I enjoy reading the forum, and that you guys seem an interesting bunch :slight_smile:

One question: does anyone know anything about the guy who was importing Belgian beers to Taiwan? It’d be nice to secure a supply of good beer for my time there…

There’s Belgian beer everywhere. Most of the major supermakerkets have it. There’s also a few bars and cafes not far from Shi Da that offer a good range of Belgian beers.

Enjoy your time.

HG

[quote=“wiggin”]
One question: does anyone know anything about the guy who was importing Belgian beers to Taiwan? It’d be nice to secure a supply of good beer for my time there…[/quote]

I thought you were coming to study? I see Animal House in your future. joking :smiley:

7-11 can be found on every cornerr and now has more imported beers, a few of which are Belgian, I think. Don’t like Belgian beer myself. you’l have no probelm, however the imports are pricey, so, I’m sure like the rest of us, you will eventually be gulping down the Taiwan Beer, which is by far the best for your buck.

Good luck.

Bastille Cafe in Shi-Da night market has about 40 different types of beer most of them from Belgium. Prices range from 170NT to 230NT. You can get Belgian beers in most places although I haven’t seen any in 7-11 I’ll have to take another look next time.

The 7-11s are selling this:

Isn’t that formerly Odeon? Whatever happened to Odeon? They used to have friendly staff, great coffee, and lots of Belgian beers, of course.

I don’t care where there is Belgian beer :smiley:

Isn’t that formerly Odeon? Whatever happened to Odeon? They used to have friendly staff, great coffee, and lots of Belgian beers, of course.[/quote]

Odeon is ~25m down the orad from Bastille. Like everything in Taiwan, once 1 successful business starts you can pretty much guarantee that another and then another will open up next door upon which a price war will ensue. Then its whoever can cut the most costs to support a business that needs to be cheaper than everyone else.

Isn’t that formerly Odeon? Whatever happened to Odeon? They used to have friendly staff, great coffee, and lots of Belgian beers, of course.[/quote]

Odeon is ~25m down the orad from Bastille. Like everything in Taiwan, once 1 successful business starts you can pretty much guarantee that another and then another will open up next door upon which a price war will ensue. Then its whoever can cut the most costs to support a business that needs to be cheaper than everyone else.[/quote]

Does bastille has a two beer minimum? Was never too happy with that at Odeon (especially consider the price of beer there and the fact they had the rule midweek -weekends are fine but at 7 o’clock on a Wednesday?) and the pushy or nervous way the staff would keep reminding you. Look, I’m not going to order them both at once. But I will get around to the second when I have finished this.

Odeon is ~25m down the orad from Bastille. Like everything in Taiwan, once 1 successful business starts you can pretty much guarantee that another and then another will open up next door upon which a price war will ensue. Then its whoever can cut the most costs to support a business that needs to be cheaper than everyone else.[/quote]

Right … and reduce the service to zero … :s

Cosi o Cosi has about 15-20 different kinds of Belgian beer.

[quote=“Muzha Man”][

Does bastille has a two beer minimum? Was never too happy with that at Odeon (especially consider the price of beer there and the fact they had the rule midweek -weekends are fine but at 7 o’clock on a Wednesday?) and the pushy or nervous way the staff would keep reminding you. Look, I’m not going to order them both at once. But I will get around to the second when I have finished this.[/quote]

Bastille cafe does not have a 2 beer minimum I have been there a bunch of times and the serves has always been fine, there is an older taiwanese lady (very pretty) who insists on you sitting at a certain table but that’s about it for things I could complain about. The other location Bastille cafe has in Gonguang leave a bit to be desired last time I was there they only had 4 of the beers and the one on tap ran out just as they got to me. Oh and they also have free wireless network.

Haha… well it seems I will be well supplied :stuck_out_tongue: I have in fact tried 台啤 and it is pretty decent… it’ll be interesting to see how I balance cost and novelty during my time in taiwan. When I was there it was for a vacation, so I spent whatever I wanted within the lump sum I had allocated for the two weeks. With a couple months on my hands it’ll be different of course, and more along normal college student lines…

Is there a directory of establishments (both drinking and otherwise) where this information is organized? A yellow pages of sorts? I found taiwanease.com, but that’s very much in construction although I think it’s a great project. I’d love to write for it, actually.

Well, I think I answered my own question, the 'Mosa Maps sticky seems about what I’m lookin for…

I’m not trying to hi-jack the thread but I am trying to bring some awareness to these two fine beers.

Polish beer is awesome. I drank this back in Toronto with Russian friends hahaha. Go figure. It was only available in our liquor stores and I found these two to be my all time favorate besides Canuck beers like Alexander Kieths and Labatt Extra Dry.

edit

I haven’t a clue as to why this post ended up in this thread. Mods could you please move it on over to the Belgium beer thread. Thanks.

[quote=“M0NSTER”]

I’m not trying to hi-Jack the thread but I am trying to bring some awareness to these two fine beers.

Polish beer is awesome. I drank this back in Toronto with Russian friends hahaha. Go figure. It was only available in our liquor stores and I found these two to be my all time favorate besides Canuck beers like Alexander Kieths and Labatt Extra Dry.

edit

I haven’t a clue as to why this post ended up in this thread. Mods could you please move it on over to the Belgium beer thread. Thanks.[/quote]

I always drink Polish beer when eating diseased pork.

Yum!!!

Right … and reduce the service to zero … :s[/quote]

Oh yeh… and don’t forget to order the “cheese plate”. Terrible is a too kind word when mentioning the food. I think all the ingredients have been replaced with local ones… and for me it ruined my experience there.

Would it really be so hard to get a range of quality cheeses in? I’m sure most of the clientele there would pay for it as they don’t appear in anyway to be the same crowd as those at the Taiwan Beer Bar. (Which I’d prefer to go to by the way, because at least they don’t try and be something they’re not!)

I’m drinking a few bottles of Erdinger right now but I find it too damn sweet. I have this film in my mouth that I’m not enjoying.

I prefer my beer with abit more of a dry after taste.

Most of you won’t agree but I find that “Challenger” brew from Germany more enjoyable. Although I know it’s trash by many standards; I find it to have that bitterness and dry after taste.