I don't know what's safe any more

[quote=“urodacus”]I live in Japan.

come and join the bright side![/quote]

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Bright side…really? You mean you’re glowing in the dark?
Gutter oil vs Radioactive food.
Gutter oil, please.

You’re probably right but I don’t feel like that’s the case. Every Wednesday and Friday, I’m out the door before 9 am and I don’t get home until 10 or 11 pm. Other days are bu yi ding. I like to keep a busy schedule, but busy schedules don’t like to keep me.

[quote=“RockOn”][quote=“urodacus”]I live in Japan.

come and join the bright side![/quote]

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Bright side…really? You mean you’re glowing in the dark?
Gutter oil vs Radioactive food.
Gutter oil, please.[/quote]

no radiation where i live. less than in Taiwan. and less gutter oil too.

food standards here are a lot higher than taiwan. and taste better too.

What Elegua said. The one time I saw government checks were reported, over half the vegetarian food on sale contained meat. I haven’t seen any followup checks or reports, and so have no reason to believe the situation is better now than then. [quote=“ChinaPost”] samples collected from 31 vegetarian food vendors in Taipei City and County for safety checks, food taken from 17 vendors were found to contain meat. [/quote] Source Why? It tastes better, so the customers come back, thinking that they’re eating vegetarian food which is (unlike most local vegetarian food) actually tasty.

I saw a locally packaged, never-heard-of “organic” brand at RTMart, selling things from China. Yeah, organic from China. REAL trustworthy. Even if it is organic, it’s probably got heavy metals in it. But if you get to know local farmers who are passionate about starting organic farming because THEY want to eat organic, you’ve got a good chance of sourcing real organic food. And grow as much as you can on your own balcony or land. Better a little bit of organic herbs than none.

Make up a big batch each day on weekends and freeze portions.

Er, have you read the ingredient labels on Costco bread? :s It probably won’t kill you, but it’s not what I’d call real (or flavorful) bread. Bagels are easy (and fun) to make, btw.

As for the drug residues in milk, note that Fourway (四方) organic milk was not listed as having any problems. The plus is that they are not much more expensive than regular milk, and they deliver to your door. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Tons of organic stuff available here in China. What do you think the rich who actually know what their factories are emitting eat? These things are more of a problem in countries with less of a wealth gap.

Environmental pollutants, sure, but there are two organic farms with shops near my suburb. Veggies aren’t a problem, really, it’s the meat that’s not good here, and even so, if you pay, you can get good stuff. I get a chicken every now and again from the farm.

There’s also a much higher availability of imported Japanese and Korean products in China, because there’s more demand, I guess.

Of course, I’m not saying that China is not completely fucked up, food-wise, but it’s a known, older problem than in Taiwan, so if you can pay, there’s plenty of high-quality stuff available.

China is the worlds largest organic grower and possibly exporter.

Anyway, Taiwan also import lots of food stuffs but its not absolutely necessary to import organic food as there is plenty available in Taiwan. You just have to do your own research I guess.

I, for one, have ZERO trust in such claims of ‘organic’ from sources such as China, and given the amounts of heavy metal said to be everywhere in the soil there, refuse to consume ANY food or drink from China whatsoever, organic or not. :2cents:

I, for one, have ZERO trust in such claims of ‘organic’ from sources such as China, and given the amounts of heavy metal said to be everywhere in the soil there, refuse to consume ANY food or drink from China whatsoever, organic or not. :2cents:[/quote]

It’s fine. There are some really nice places: farm coops and stuff.

It’s all about how you feel, though. If you don’t feel comfortable, you won’t feel good about it.

I, for one, have ZERO trust in such claims of ‘organic’ from sources such as China, and given the amounts of heavy metal said to be everywhere in the soil there, refuse to consume ANY food or drink from China whatsoever, organic or not. :2cents:[/quote]

Ditto. :bow:

draxe.com/organic-foods-china-sh … d-exposed/

You’re probably right but I don’t feel like that’s the case. Every Wednesday and Friday, I’m out the door before 9 am and I don’t get home until 10 or 11 pm. Other days are bu yi ding. I like to keep a busy schedule, but busy schedules don’t like to keep me.[/quote]

Get a slow cooker (or crockpot as they are also called). Throw everything in before you leave the house. Come home for a piping hot stew. Add a basic breadmaker and you’ll be miles ahead healthwise compared to lunchbox, bakery and breakfast stall food.

[quote]
Get a slow cooker (or crockpot as they are also called). Throw everything in before you leave the house. Come home for a piping hot stew. Add a basic breadmaker and you’ll be miles ahead healthwise compared to lunchbox, bakery and breakfast stall food.[/quote]

Now there’s an idea. Are there any good brands available here? Thanks for the tip. I steam everything.

[quote=“HenHaoChi”][quote]
Get a slow cooker (or crockpot as they are also called). Throw everything in before you leave the house. Come home for a piping hot stew. Add a basic breadmaker and you’ll be miles ahead healthwise compared to lunchbox, bakery and breakfast stall food.[/quote]

Now there’s an idea. Are there any good brands available here? Thanks for the tip. I steam everything.[/quote]

Ooh, my basic kit. Slow cooked curries are the BEST. As long as you have enough liquid in there, you can’t fuck it up, and they make veggie stuff such as a taste good. :thumbsup:

Hokngwei, hope you don’t feel I’m being condescending or not taking into account your lifestyle by telling you to cook your own stuff. Just sharing what works for me.

I’d worry I’d come home and my house would be burnt down and there’d be a perfectly cooked curry in the middle of charred ruins.

[quote=“HenHaoChi”][quote]

Now there’s an idea. Are there any good brands available here? Thanks for the tip. I steam everything.[/quote]

DOWAI 多偉 is a popular brand, they come in various sizes, not expensive either.

get a rice cooker, or bread machine, and buy yourself imported canned cat-food…

well, i’m not doing that, but I’m pretty sure it’s healthier than eating out.

Cheers. I’ll check them out. I’ve been looking for something like this for ages. I daydream about cooking in clay. I want a clay slow cooker, but Dowai will do for now.

[quote=“schwarzwald”][quote=“HenHaoChi”][quote]

DOWAI 多偉 is a popular brand, they come in various sizes, not expensive either.[/quote]

why not go all out for one of these from down under…

thermomix.com.au/

Hansioux, thx but too digital. Too Jetsons. I’d get sauce all over the buttons. I just need a dial.

I prefer this:

[quote=“hansioux”][quote=“schwarzwald”][quote=“HenHaoChi”][quote]

DOWAI 多偉 is a popular brand, they come in various sizes, not expensive either.[/quote]

why not go all out for one of these from down under…

thermomix.com.au/[/quote]

I went to their demo and almost bought it, but it is really big and bulky, not suitable for my hole in the wall kitchen.

A Tatung rice cooker can do most stuff a slow cooker can. Throw some chicken, potatoes, carrots, onions and herbs and spices and eat for a week.

And honestly, I wouldn’t trust any local household electrical installation in my absence. That is why I don’t have a slow cooker. Rice cooker can be done when I am there.

that’s what i use as well…