I found a baby bat - help?

I found a baby bat clinging to my wall outside in the sun. I put it in a box and brought it in.
What do I do with it? It seems totally helpless.
I don’t know what kind of bat it is. Although it’s probably an insect eater, because we have a few of those flying around at night.

Is there an organization that can take it from me?

[quote=“Marty”]I found a baby bat clinging to my wall outside in the sun. I put it in a box and brought it in.
What do I do with it? It seems totally helpless.
I don’t know what kind of bat it is. Although it’s probably an insect eater, because we have a few of those flying around at night.

Is there an organization that can take it from me?[/quote]
It’ll die. Baby bats cling to their mothers, not walls. And they need to suckle bat-milk, not insects.

But it’s worth giving it a go. Keep it warm and snug, get some bat milk (oh, don’t ask - try Carrefour?), drip feed, look out for its mother at night. As a kid we once found a baby sparrow in our back yard - we took it in and named it Sammy. Every morning for a week, before school, I took a spade to the back garden, then fed him worms, milk and Weetabix. It was the best of times.

Took him 5 days to die.

Are you sure it’s a baby? You can call me: 0920 620 109. Sean

Had your rabies shots recently? Supposedly Taiwan doesn’t have rabies, but bats are notorious for carrying.

I’m guessing it’s a pipistrelle. Tiny. Teeth won’t even break the skin.

I never let it touch my skin. I didn’t get close to it. I knew it could be dirty.
Anyway… GOOD NEWS
I brought it outside tonight in hopes of showing it the night’s stars it would encourage it to fly away. I wasn’t sure if it could or not.
It started making a little chirp, then tapping noise from its mouth. Another bat showed up very shortly.
I put the box on the table outside and watched. The other bat swooped many times, trying to locate the baby bat.
It landed on the table and went into the box. A little scuffle and chirps could be heard. I figure hugs and kisses, because out flies the big bat, with little baby clinging to it. It must have been it’s mother.
:slight_smile:

[quote=“Marty”]I never let it touch my skin. I didn’t get close to it. I knew it could be dirty.
Anyway… GOOD NEWS
I brought it outside tonight in hopes of showing it the night’s stars it would encourage it to fly away. I wasn’t sure if it could or not.
It started making a little chirp, then tapping noise from its mouth. Another bat showed up very shortly.
I put the box on the table outside and watched. The other bat swooped many times, trying to locate the baby bat.
It landed on the table and went into the box. A little scuffle and chirps could be heard. I figure hugs and kisses, because out flies the big bat, with little baby clinging to it. It must have been it’s mother.
:slight_smile:[/quote]
Oh what a sweet story !!! Good job of you to bring him back outside. His mommy was looking for him.

next time bite it’s head off, if you got a dysfunctional family you could be famous in no time :wink:

Wow! Nice!

Shame about the prick post, though.

[quote=“Nuit”]
Took him 5 days to die.[/quote]

Sounds magical.

Youtube link or it never happened.
Seriously, that’s that’s a cool story.

I found another one tonight. It was on the floor outside my door. This time I left it outside on the table in the box with a freshly squished cockroach. I checked back later and saw an empty box. :bow:

That’s really pretty cool but I wonder what’s making the mom’s so slippery? Odd that that would happen twice in the same place.

• I love the bit about the hugs and kisses–sooo sweet! Sweet little bats ( :noway: ).

next time save you the bother and get this cat

:discodance: :discodance:

That cat has some serious hang time.

C’mon Frenchy…give us a recipe… :lick:

photoshop.

Nah. I saw my old cat in the UK do that several times. Looked just like that. He’d just leap up in the air and intercept them. Never seemed to miss.

Nah. I saw my old cat in the UK do that several times. Looked just like that. He’d just leap up in the air and intercept them. Never seemed to miss.[/quote]

lol, there’s always some fool that runs into the room and yells photoshop. First! :slight_smile:

Impressive leaping indeed. We had barn cats and I could imagine one of them doing something like that, first time I’ve seen an indoor cat jump so high though.

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]That cat has some serious hang time.

C’mon Frenchy…give us a recipe… :lick:[/quote]

not sure about bats but that thing in ur avatar could be mighty tasty… :thumbsup: