I hate the road conditions in Taiwan

I agree. My helmet is about 4 weeks old and it’s a “Penguin” one - cost me NT$900. The visor is not scratched yet and I wipe inside and outside of the visor every 3-5 days. I think this is why I could keep an “accident free in 2 years” record. (Not anymore. Boohoo :frowning: )[/quote]I would not consider regular riding in a 900NT helmet, and I would feel ashamed about giving one to a passenger to wear. To get a reasonably protective one, you need to spend at least a few thousand dollars. Not everybody can afford a 15,000NT Arai but I’d say 2,500NT is the minimum for a helmet if you value your head.

There’s a very good chance 99% of the Taiwanese don’t value their heads! :slight_smile: …nor the rest of their bodies judging by the way they drive.

Seriously though, the road conditions here are deplorable, but one must do what one must do. And I think it’s strange because, if you drive a car you don’t geel a fraction of the bumps and bulges, depressions and roadkill you feel when you’re on a scooter. It’s nice of the highways authorities to put the elevated water drainage plates right in the scooter lane on the highway. If indeed you hit one of those things at highway speed you’d better be hanging on.

Considering everyone and their dog (literally) drives or owns a scooter, a little more consideration would be in order.

But nooooooooooooo! :notworthy:

Well it’s like anywhere in the world you have to learn to drive to the road conditions and then you will have less accidents.

Forunately I ride an off road bike with 19 inch rear and 21 inch front so those manhole covers, rocks and the odd pedestrian don’t upset my rythm too much. :smiley: :smiley: