I have a brilliant invention! What next?

So I’ve invented something. It’s very useful. Everyone in this field of work will need at least 6 of them!

So now what? How do I go about getting the thing made? What other things do I need to do (patent etc)? :help:

The first thing is to get a patent agent, after you have done your homework, that is.

Then you pay US$100 or so and get it locked down for 1 year, while you try to get something moving and stump all the money up for an actual patent.

also, you could go to the forumosa entrepreneurship club and get more advice there.

Just come to my office and sign a simple document with lots of incomprehensible fine-print legalese. I’ll take care of everything for you. :wink:

First you need to tell us what it is so that we can see if it’s really that brilliant. :wink:

Well it’s this thing, it saves time, energy (yours), and perhaps even money! It has some novelty to it. It’s small, lightweight, in a variety of colors. No, it’s nothing kinky…unless you’re so inclined. :help:

Thanks Mr He. I’ll get some plans done and see if I can track down a patent agent.

One for each finger.

Befor eyou go to a patent agent, you can search online to see whether it has already been patented. I have heard lots of stories of people who think they have a brilliant idea and then find out someone else got there first. I can’t remember the site but Googling “search patents” should help.

Go here:

http://www.uspto.gov/main/profiles/acadres.htm

[quote=“the chief”]Go here:

http://www.uspto.gov/main/profiles/acadres.htm[/quote]

Or go directly to the search page. http://www.uspto.gov/patft/index.html

:wink:

the chief, you North Americans are all alike - ME, ME, ME. The OP didn’t say where he wanted to patent it, did he? :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“elektronisk”]
the chief, you North Americans are all alike - ME, ME, ME. The OP didn’t say where he wanted to patent it, did he? :p[/quote]

I think searching at the USPTO site is very sound advice. Everyone wants to sell in the US so everyone files their patents there. The database is huge (well over 6 million patents- someone correct me if I’m wrong because I’m too lazy to look) and it’s all free. If you were to file a patent application in Taiwan, for example, and there is some wrangling involved, the Examiner would very likely cite a US patent (maybe with a Taiwanese inventor!) during the course of prosecution.

I know you (elektronisk) said what you did partly in jest but it really is a good first step (or at least one of them) for the original poster to take.

By the way, Mr. He mentioned something about filing then having a year to figure out what to do. This is a very complicated issue for many reasons, some of which are:
*The US is on a first to invent system (but this looks to change if proposed amendments go through like big business wants).
*The one year time frame deals with claiming an earlier, original date when filing in other countries and also with after your patent is known, sold, etc.
*If you can show “diligence” after you have made the thing and before you file, you can pull your date of invention (remember, first to invent) back to the date of conception (when you’re dealing with a possible rejection as a result of an invention made prior to yours by someone else).
*There’s other issues but it’s late and you’re probably bored to death.

So yes, find a patent practitioner if you’re serious about this and after you’ve made sure someone else didn’t make it already in 1979!

I’ll take 10,000 units. In mauve. Do they come in mauve?

Best of luck on your new venture. As a solo inventor with little experience or (apparently) money it’s as if you’re about to embark on a twenty mile swim across open ocean at night with a fish carcass tied to your ass and a 30 kilo lead weight tied to your waist.

It will be exciting and educational if nothing else.