I have a vision (Madame Chiang)

I have a vision.

Tomorrow’s papers:

China Post: Big front page articles on what a wonderful person Madame Chiang was.

Taipei Times: Articles on what crooks she and her hubby were.

Good riddance. may all of that family die off soon.

Oh no! What’s Boomer going to do now? :laughing: Or maybe he really did get her address and it was his letter that finally precipitated her off this mortal coil.

My Chinese teacher’s family back in the States was close friends with Madame Chiang. Try showing a little respect when someone dies … you can express your political dislike for them at another time. Be sure to remind me to say “good riddance” when someone close to your friends or family dies too. But then again, I’m not that cruel.

Respect should be earned. I can’t think of anything that gangster’s moll or her family did to earn respect.

I am liking this thread already, I like it a lot!!

Well, they sure got my deepest sympathy but then again, if she loves China so much, why was she even in NY when she passed away…

No, the rules of respect get thrown out the window for murderers. She and her family were responsible for the destruction of millions of ruined lives in China and Taiwan. I don’t care if your Swahili teacher’s family in NYC knew Idi Amin, his corpse still deserves to be spit upon, same as Soong Mei-Ling’s. If your family had been one of the victims of the Soong’s extended family and their reign, your words would be a lot harsher than a mere “good riddance.”

Respect should be earned. I can’t think of anything that gangster’s moll or her family did to earn respect.[/quote]

My respect is for my teacher and her mother, Chen Xiangmei (陳香美), the wife of Claire Chennault, who has done a lot of good for both Taiwan and China. I respect the fact that they were friends of the family and will grieve the loss of Madame Chiang. So, my respect is more for them necessarily than the Soong/Chiang family … hopefully you can understand that.

Wow ML, are you a native Tainanese? I sure now what you are talking about…

well, in addition to that, my dad & many of his friends are victims of 228 event and hearing those story makes me sad to know what my dad and relatives have to go through… :cry:

And this coming from the keyboard of someone who only a few short weeks ago thought it was “funny” to post lyrics about how homosexuals should die of AIDS and the like, or whatever other bigoted, filthy crap it was. You’re hardly someone who should be talking about “respect”.

My Chinese teacher’s family back in the States was close friends with Madame Chiang.[/quote] and… so what? If my Spanish teacher was buddy-buddy with Pinochet, then I should shed a tear for him?

I’d rather do a Wu Tzu Shu on their graves. When you mourn the death of Hitler, maybe then I will be less of a prick. :smiling_imp:

just saw your post… ok respect for your teacher and a different individual is different from what you originally said “respect when someone dies.” that’s fine and i can appreciate that. but your respect for your teacher is still quite disconnected from my lack of respect for the Soong/Chiangs even if one knew the other. so i don’t understand your point. i am basing my estimation of a person on his/her actions, not whom they know.

Oh great. When in doubt, use the attack-the-messenger tactic by digging up old, irrelevant posts.

My Chinese teacher’s family back in the States was close friends with Madame Chiang.[/quote] and… so what? If my Spanish teacher was buddy-buddy with Pinochet, then I should shed a tear for him?

I’d rather do a Wu Tzu Shu on their graves. When you mourn the death of Hitler, maybe then I will be less of a prick. :smiling_imp:[/quote]

No, but if you were close friends with your teacher you should respect that s/he might be suffering some kind of loss.

And for even suggesting that I would mourn the loss of something like Hitler … nevermind, I’m not even going to respond to something so ignorant as that. Originally I was going to apologize for the “prick” remark, but I’ve suddenly realized that perhaps it was appropriate.

[quote=“LittleBuddhaTW”]

but the point is i am not close friends with your teacher. you’re in your shoes. i’m in mine. i don’t understand why you’re demanding that i give respect when our contexts are different. it’s like saying I should love your parents because you love your parents.

please see above post amended after your explanation.

but yes, you are friends with your teacher with that person. go ahead. mail your teacher a card. (and i don’t mean that sarcastically). and no, i wasn’t serious with the hitler remark. it was an exaggeration. in poor taste, i admit. but i find your response equally puzzling.

Ok, fair enough. And I apologize for my “prick” comment.

LB’s original post could easily be interpreted (and obviously was by several posters, including me) as saying respect should be shown for someone who died because that person was friends with LB’s teacher. LB has since revised that statement, via name dropping and name calling, to clarify that this was not the intention. Why can’t things always go so swimmingly on forumosa?

By the way, does Madame CKS’ death hold any significance for the upcoming election? Could she be seen as an icon of the “good old days” (well, at least for those for whom KMT rule was good), or will it be a symbol that the KMT’s time has come and gone (or neither)?

Your bigotry and ignorance are very relevant, and I’m sure I’m not the only person on here who will recall your previous comments whenever reading your future commentaries.

hakkasonic, do you mean Mother Theresa is actually LittleBuddhaTW? Doh!

Didn’t she inadevertantly lend support to the DPP by having some relative advise the people of Taiwan to vote with the KMT in a recent election? Guess she won’t be doing that anymore.

HG

Kenny,

Thanks for the heads up. Since fixed. As for Mod Lang’s previous posts, I remember them, but even fresher in my memory will be yours, LB. Mod Lang wasn’t the only one to state that no respect should be shown for Madame CKS. Are you going to paint all of those other people who do not agree with your post with the same brush?