I have a vision (Madame Chiang)

Ok, fair enough. And I apologize for my “prick” comment.[/quote]

Kenny, I apologize, too, just in case I have ever met you and called you a prick. If I didn’t, then take this in advance of when I eventually do, he he.

Soong was a highly intelligent woman, by all accounts, closely involved with the politics of the time. As such, she was undoubtedly very familiar with the brutal excesses of her filthy husband and his ragtag bunch of thugs. That she should now be accorded any kind of respect whatsoever, and that there are still benighted people around who feel she deserves respect leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth.
She was scum. More than that, she was evil, unrepentant scum. If I believed in the afterlife, I would take pleasure in knowing she is surely suffering the torments of the lower levels. Now THAT she most richly deserves.
And this has absolutely nothing to do with LB’s teacher. What an odd concept.

[quote=“HakkaSonic”]Kenny,

Thanks for the heads up. Since fixed. As for Mod Lang’s previous posts, I remember them, but even fresher in my memory will be yours, LB. Mod Lang wasn’t the only one to state that no respect should be shown for Madame CKS. Are you going to paint all of those other people who do not agree with your post with the same brush?[/quote]

My point was that ML is in no position to have any “moral authority” on the subject of respect for those who remember his previous “incident.” As far as the others, I clarified my position to Sandman’s comment, and Kenny and I have said our peace, both apologized, and “made up” on the board and in PM. But I’m sure your point is simply to attack anything I say now simply because I hurt your ego yesterday.

Ok, I have nothing else to say on this subject. I apologize if my reasons for showing respect weren’t clear … just my personal feelings. To Kenny, sorry again for the misunderstanding … I’m glad we understand each other now … to ML and HakkaSonic, :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

[quote]to ML and HakkaSonic, :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:
[/quote]
Hey! I said you had an odd concept. Doesn’t that deserve at least one rolly-eye? Damn, I hate being left out.

commentary: it’s amazing how a single word as simple as the name of a person can bring up such a storm after so many years, decades or even milennia.

it’s nice to know that unlike the real world, we don’t come to fisticuffs over our beliefs.

kenny “the cheesy commentator to his own comments” mccormick.

[quote=“LittleBuddhaTW”][quote=“HakkaSonic”]Kenny,

Thanks for the heads up. Since fixed. As for Mod Lang’s previous posts, I remember them, but even fresher in my memory will be yours, LB. Mod Lang wasn’t the only one to state that no respect should be shown for Madame CKS. Are you going to paint all of those other people who do not agree with your post with the same brush?[/quote]

My point was that ML is in no position to have any “moral authority” on the subject of respect for those who remember his previous “incident.” As far as the others, I clarified my position to Sandman’s comment, and Kenny and I have said our peace, both apologized, and “made up” on the board and in PM. But I’m sure your point is simply to attack anything I say now simply because I hurt your ego yesterday.[/quote]

Uh oh, do I sense a trend here, LB? If you can’t respond to someone fairly, just try to attack their personality (“I hurt your ego yesterday”). By the way, Mod Lang, you are forever marked now, I guess.

Unrelated to this: Does anyone know who her heir is? I mean, she has an apartment in New York and other assets. What happens to this stuff?

[quote=“sandman”]Soong was a highly intelligent woman, by all accounts, closely involved with the politics of the time. As such, she was undoubtedly very familiar with the brutal excesses of her filthy husband and his ragtag bunch of thugs. That she should now be accorded any kind of respect whatsoever, and that there are still benighted people around who feel she deserves respect leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth.
She was scum. More than that, she was evil, unrepentant scum. If I believed in the afterlife, I would take pleasure in knowing she is surely suffering the torments of the lower levels. Now THAT she most richly deserves.
And this has absolutely nothing to do with LB’s teacher. What an odd concept.[/quote]

Right on!

[quote=“sandman”][quote]to ML and HakkaSonic, :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:
[/quote]
Hey! I said you had an odd concept. Doesn’t that deserve at least one rolly-eye? Damn, I hate being left out.[/quote]

No, cause I like you and we have a mutual friend. :wink:

My Chinese teacher’s family back in the States was close friends with Madame Chiang.[/quote] and… so what? If my Spanish teacher was buddy-buddy with Pinochet, then I should shed a tear for him?

I’d rather do a Wu Tzu Shu on their graves. When you mourn the death of Hitler, maybe then I will be less of a prick. :smiling_imp:[/quote]

No, but if you were close friends with your teacher you should respect that s/he might be suffering some kind of loss.

And for even suggesting that I would mourn the loss of something like Hitler … nevermind, I’m not even going to respond to something so ignorant as that. Originally I was going to apologize for the “prick” remark, but I’ve suddenly realized that perhaps it was appropriate.[/quote]

dude, chill out. every 4th or 5th post from u involves calling someone else a ‘prick.’ :unamused:

fact remains that the Chiangs were ruthless warlords, killing and stealing from anyone that got in their way.

-chris

I’m not too knowledgable about the degree to which Madame Chiang should be associated with the actions of her husband. I think it’s pretty much agreed that Chiang K’ai Shek was the typical totalitarian dictator, but should Madame Chiang be held responsible for her husband’s actions? Was she actively involved in any way with the way the KMT gov’t ran the country during those times? Or was she a passive bystander? I’m asking this solely out of curiousity and desire to seek information.

Also out of curiousity, do people hold the same degree of antipathy towards Chiang Ching Kuo’s wife who is still alive?

I think she was heavily involved in the way the KMT ruled. Perhaps she wasn’t actually a triggerman or nail extractor, but she sure as hell looked the other way while thousands of the cream of Taiwan were tortured and murdered, the odious bitch.

As for the wife of Peanuthead’s spawn, I don’t believe she was involved in politics at all (of course, I could be totally wrong) and she certainly doesn’t have this “great heroine of the Chinese people” schtick.

Chiang Kai-Shek basically married her for the money and guanxi, as the Soongs were the richest and most powerful family in China at the time. Her family’s money and political connections, both in Shanghai and America, made Chiang’s dream of being the generalissimo of China possible. She was a crucial link as the chief lobbyist for the KMT in America, without whose money General Cash-My-Check’s army could not have survived.

But what I say is irrelevant since I made a handful of posts in the Flame Forum that others seem intent on blackmailing me with forever, I see.

Madame Chiang, 105, Chinese Leader’s Widow, Dies

Blackmailing involves the coercion of someone in exchange for certain information on that person not being made public. Mod, it’s all public in your case! I think the better word is marginalizing.

story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s … swidowdies

story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s … ame_chiang

Soong Mayling was born:

[quote]China Post
March 20, 1897 in Shanghai[/quote]

[quote]Taipei Times
February 12, 1898 on Hainan Island[/quote]

[quote]Wellesley College
March, 1897 in Shanghai[/quote]

[quote]Wikipedia online encylopedia
March 5, 1897 on Hainan Island[/quote]

Looking further it appears that most agree on March as the month (where in the hell the Taipei Times got February from I don’t know), but the year and the place are a little more uncertain. Sources closer to authoritative China knowledge seem to lean toward 1897.

She wasn’t bad looking. And quite a good speaker too. She wowed the Roosevelts, didn’t she?

From the NY Times obit:

[quote]Although Madame Chiang developed a stellar image with the American public, President Franklin D. Roosevelt and other leaders became disillusioned with her and her husband’s despotic and corrupt practices. Eleanor Roosevelt was shocked at her answer when asked at a dinner at the White House how the Chinese government would handle a strike by coal miners. Madame Chiang silently drew a sharp fingernail across her neck.
[/quote]

LB,

ironically, I just remembered one of my professors at Berkeley, F. Wakeman, knew the Chiangs intimately as one of the few foreigners in China back then.

:laughing: so i guess i am in your shoes after all.