I have never seen such a long line

liveleak.com/view?i=985_1369798482

Seems to be lining up for breakfast egg rolls or something. Never seen such huge line !

Crazy ! Id rather get something else for breakfast.

Probably a free egg roll

I heard the little girl in the van saying egg roll. So that must be it. Lining up for hours to get a free egg roll. Gee, I can see this in north korea but in Taiwan? I guess its not hunger, its GREED. Line up for anything FREE !! You have to be a smutchz not to right?

Its like you feel CHEATED, if you don’t get yours !

[quote=“tommy525”]I heard the little girl in the van saying egg roll. So that must be it. Lining up for hours to get a free egg roll. Gee, I can see this in north korea but in Taiwan? I guess its not hunger, its GREED. Line up for anything FREE !! You have to be a smutchz not to right?

Its like you feel CHEATED, if you don’t get yours ![/quote]

I don’t think greed is really the right word, although I don’t know the right word for this. I think it is the delight in getting something for free. The feeling itself is worth the wait.

It is not greed, more like ignorant opportunism run rampant.
For me, time is money, but I shall never understand those that feel money is time, or even less so, the bottom feeders on the capitalism chain that feel that free shite is time worth lining up for.

Like the people lining up for an hour for a two for one Starbucks deal…

You don’t understand Taiwan Culture :whistle:

Not just Taiwanese culture, though. Have any of my fellow Americans ever experienced Black Friday (the after Thanksgiving sales)? People line up for hours, starting before sunrise, to fight for an extremely limited number of sale items. Every year there are injuries, and sometimes even deaths, due to the stampeding hordes. Truly ugly.

Yes. This always amazes me. Buy one get one free at Starbucks is great if you don’t have to wait more than 10 minutes, but I see someone insane lines that must take almost an hour.
I’ve also seen this happen at Cold Stone. I’ll never understand it.

Yes. This always amazes me. Buy one get one free at Starbucks is great if you don’t have to wait more than 10 minutes, but I see someone insane lines that must take almost an hour.
I’ve also seen this happen at Cold Stone. I’ll never understand it.[/quote]

I think it might be somehow related to spending 14 hours at work getting almost no pay for overtime, spending 4 of those hours on fb and another 2 hours napping

Maybe its a good way to pick up chick? :slight_smile: Just make sure to line up behind one and its a good way to start up a convo. This is the way some white guy used to pick up on my ex gf in Taiwan.

Got behind her and her lady friend in line going in to a wine tasting event. Then invited himself over a bit later while inside. Got himself a date with the little lady too. And (only the Lord and the two of them) know if he got “lucky”. Probably did.

So there are indeed “opportunities” everywhere.

The one time I waited in a long time here for nothing special was at that Japanese cheesecake place in Taipei main station that’s always busy. I did it to score some points with my gf’s family since I knew her sister liked it. A couple of business-type Japanese guys were in line behind me. After nearly a half hour of waiting one of the workers made an announcement I didn’t fully understand, something about having to wait to make more cakes. Then suddenly most of the huge line behind us moved forward and created a new long line ahead of us. Me and the Japanese guys looked at each other like, WTF!? Lesson learned

When your life consists of either:

1. Work
  2. Parents
  3. Children
  4. In-laws
  5. Temple
  6. Studying English
    (and we are talking recreational options here)

Then standing in line seems like going to Disneyland!

I’ve also seen this happen at Cold Stone. I’ll never understand it.[/quote]

Though not many locals would confirm this (hence some did when asking) , it seams that the simple reason lays in the money saved aside “sharing / group” mentality.
While a 100 NTD Starbucks might be “affordable” for us / you / me, it is more expensive than the average 80 NTD bientang.
Conquering such a treat might be the highlight of the day for some.

I’ve heard people call their friends in the office and then ‘sell’ them the other coffee at half price. I discussed this with my wife, I thought it was being cheap, she thought it was being nice and practical.

Only below wasting one hour life time for a buy 1 get 2 deal at Starbucks are the lines at Costco for freebies. For a tiny piece of steak these crazies line up, obviously later they will also get some “free onions”… To me this is not different from not letting people merge into a lane, disrespecting right of way or running red lights or not paying the NHI premiums. It’s a disgusting trait in many people’s psyche.

I’m sure I’ve seen longer lines of locals (like the alliteration?) waiting to try a free sample at Costco.

it’s 福義軒 Fu-Yi-Xuan in 嘉義 Jia-Yi. It’s pretty normal. Locals get paid just to stand in line for tourists.

Thanks for the info. One of my students orders those seaweed crackers (海苔蘇打餅) from there and gave me a package one time. She said it takes months to get them delivered. I looked at her skeptically when she said this, but after seeing that video I’m no longer skeptical. The crackers were good, but jeez.

Indeed!
In Canada we have this horrible tradition of Boxing Day Sales. Same shite, though.
Very ugly.