I just had my first homicidal driver experience

Well, actually the second but this is the first time I actually had any contact with the driver and the first time I wasn’t in my truck - things seem less scary and a fair bit funnier inside a big steel cage.

I was working late tonight and coming home on the RZX after a hearty lu-wei supper. I’m sure anyone who’s ridden with me will vouch that I’m a safe rider and generally go out of my way not to offend other road users. Riding along Dong Shan rd. in Taichung I see a Mitsubishi shitmobile hurtling up behind me doing at least 100 so I move as far right as possible and slow down to get the fuck out of his way. He slows right down so I speed up again… and so does he. This goes on for about 3 or 4 cycles before the headlights start flashing and I know I have a random vendetta on my hands… maybe an RZX owner fucked his wife last week… who knows. I always ride with full gear and full-face helmet so it definitely wasn’t a foreigner thing. Whenever the traffic in front was too dangerous to pass he pulled up to me and tried to swerve me off the road… fortunately I could steer a lot faster than him (probably because he was so fucking drunk… see below) and he didn’t succeed. Then he tried to ram me into the side of a couple riding a scooter(!!) but they swerved and I accelerated out of the way. I couldn’t see how many people were in the car so I didn’t want to stop and instead tried to outrun him up to some tight alleys ahead I knew he wouldn’t be able to follow through. However, he obviously couldn’t handle his car at high speeds and he almost killed a few scooter riders so I pulled into a safe-ish position behind a parked van at the red light ahead. I dialled 110 into my cellphone as soon as we stopped and was planning to leg it to the nearby 7-11 in the hope that if the shit did hit the fan at least I’d have witnesses or maybe a CCTV video. He starts shouting something in Taiwanese, at which point I realise he’s so fucking drunk that he can barely keep his head upright. I also realised there was only one fat, unfit middle-aged guy who was obviously not going to be able to put up a fight.

What I wish I’d have done at this point: got in his car, switched it off and headbutted the little prick before driving his car into a wall. I’m still wishing I did this right now. I’m a wuss.

What I actually did at this point: failed to take in what was going on and couldn’t think of anything else to say except ‘what… the… fuck?!’ Inexplicably, he then shakes his finger, makes a left turn into an intersection accompanied by screeching brakes of oncoming cars and clips the side of another parked car with his mirror as he does so. This guy seriously needs castration and/or a good beating.

I have his reg number (V61316 - will I get banned for posting asshole plate numbers?) but I see zero point in reporting it.

The Good Part Of The Story: the scooter couple turned out to be an agreeable pair in their late 40s who took the situation with good humour and approached me smiling. The offered to help me report the guy(!!!) so I thanked them with much sincerity and gusto but noted that it would just be a waste of our time. So one asshole and two really good people… the balance is still looking pretty good. And with that I’m going to bed for some angry dreaming.

I’m glad you’re OK. Sheesh! One asshole and two good people. I like that. There’s still hope. Really no point to report this fool, eh? That sucks.

[quote=“llary”]I have his reg number (V61316 - will I get banned for posting asshole plate numbers?) but I see zero point in reporting it.

The Good Part Of The Story: the scooter couple turned out to be an agreeable pair in their late 40s who took the situation with good humour and approached me smiling. The offered to help me report the guy(!!!) so I thanked them with much sincerity and gusto but noted that it would just be a waste of our time. So one asshole and two really good people… the balance is still looking pretty good. And with that I’m going to bed for some angry dreaming.[/quote]

You have to wonder how often people are killed here like this. I’ve seen scooters piled up against the back of parked cars and all the blood and helmets embedded in rear car windows.

Slightly different note. Why do you appear to be attempting to have sex with the horses neck in that avatar? Either that or you’r taking a leak which would be much more disgusting.

If you got anny cash maybe you could pay the mafia for taking care off him.

They don’t hand over valiation points like the police tend to do.

[quote=“llary”]I have his reg number (V61316 - will I get banned for posting asshole plate numbers?) but I see zero point in reporting it.

The Good Part Of The Story: the scooter couple turned out to be an agreeable pair in their late 40s who took the situation with good humour and approached me smiling. The offered to help me report the guy(!!!) so I thanked them with much sincerity and gusto but noted that it would just be a waste of our time. So one asshole and two really good people… the balance is still looking pretty good. And with that I’m going to bed for some angry dreaming.[/quote]

I think you should report him, it doesn’t matter what happens really, as each step towards road sanity is a good one.

Good thing you’re okay.

HG

You should have tried to get hold of the owner of the car he clipped and offered to act as a witness in the hit and run. The owner would probably want to recover those expenses and might have wanted to press charges.
I think I would have taken his keys, but I tend to get pretty upset when people try to kill me. I guess I still don’t understand Taiwanese culture. :idunno:

Oh well, maybe next week you’ll be in your 2-ton battletank and see him out on his scooter. :smiling_imp: :wink:

[quote=“redwagon”]You should have tried to get hold of the owner of the car he clipped and offered to act as a witness in the hit and run. The owner would probably want to recover those expenses and might have wanted to press charges.
I think I would have taken his keys, but I tend to get pretty upset when people try to kill me. I guess I still don’t understand Taiwanese culture. :idunno:

Oh well, maybe next week you’ll be in your 2-ton battletank and see him out on his scooter. :smiling_imp: :wink:[/quote]

I wrote in my other thread about the hit and run I witnessed. Guy was blind drunk…hit another car with a diver in it…and drives away. The police come and say that the damages are light and that they won’t bother going to the guys house or anything. And that the guy who was hit can go through his insurance company, but the other guy will just refuse to pay.

In other words…police don’t care about hit and runs.

Oh and Llary…it’s times like those that you wish you had some Ninja Rocks velcro’d to your gas tank.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninja_rock

[quote=“Mordeth”][quote=“redwagon”]You should have tried to get hold of the owner of the car he clipped and offered to act as a witness in the hit and run. The owner would probably want to recover those expenses and might have wanted to press charges.

Oh well, maybe next week you’ll be in your 2-ton battletank and see him out on his scooter. :smiling_imp: :wink:[/quote]

I wrote in my other thread about the hit and run I witnessed. Guy was blind drunk…hit another car with a diver in it…and drives away. The police come and say that the damages are light and that they won’t bother going to the guys house or anything. And that the guy who was hit can go through his insurance company, but the other guy will just refuse to pay.

In other words…police don’t care about hit and runs.[/quote]

I keep saying this, but this is one thing that could improve Taiwan tenfold… and not just traffic accidents, but a general sense that police have a job to do and are employed by the general public. I mean, for fuck’s sake… if that happened in the UK, even with stretched resources they would be there like a shot to haul his ass in. The more I think about this the more I think I should have given him something to think about in the morning. My gf tells me I ‘did the right thing’, but no I didn’t. I did absolutely fuck all. She’s worried that the Awesome Taichung Gangsta Crew would find me but I had to point out that 1) he was barely able to sit up straight let alone read a reg plate, 2) I have his plate number and can get his address just as easily and 3) my vehicles are all registered to forwarding addresses anyway.

I’ve been thinking for a while about getting a camera set up permanently on my bike and/or car… is it worth it? Are the police likely to do anything with video footage if and when something happens?

You’ve given me an idea, what about throwing in a Hard Gay outfit?

“Ooohoo! Bad driver”!

HG

You’ve given me an idea, what about throwing in a Hard Gay outfit?

“Ooohoo! Bad driver”!

HG[/quote]

HG, you’re a genius!!

I had a similar experience once, and I did report it to the police. They showed up, were very nice, and said that without at least one additional witness or video to back up my statement, it would be my word against his, so there was no point in proceeding further. This implies to me that with your additional witnesses, you might have enough. I recommend reporting it, and insisting on police action. In fact, I would threaten to complain to the media if the police don’t act.

I think that would make it much more likely, yes. Anyway, glad you’re ok.

I was in the situation before when I saw a guy fighting a woman in a car. I tapped on the window and she said he wanted to drive. He was waaaaaaasted and got out of the car wanting to fight me. As soon as he was clear, I told her take off… but she wasn’t wanting the beating she’d probably get when he stumbled home.

We stared each other down for a while as she screamed at him. I told him that I don’t want to fight but I’m not letting him drive. I told him that a drunk taiwanese driver killed a friend of mine. He let her drive. I rule.

[quote=“Dragonbones”]I had a similar experience once, and I did report it to the police. They showed up, were very nice, and said that without at least one additional witness or video to back up my statement, it would be my word against his, so there was no point in proceeding further. This implies to me that with your additional witnesses, you might have enough. I recommend reporting it, and insisting on police action. In fact, I would threaten to complain to the media if the police don’t act.

I think that would make it much more likely, yes. Anyway, glad you’re ok.[/quote]

That works both both ways I guess, good to know I can get away with mostly anything on the roads in Taiwan.

[quote=“Bubba 2 Guns”]

That works both both ways I guess, good to know I can get away with mostly anything on the roads in Taiwan.[/quote]

Yeah…anything except speeding…24,000nt fine for f’ing speeding…I’m scared to ride my bike…honestly.

[quote=“Mordeth”][quote=“Bubba 2 Guns”]

That works both both ways I guess, good to know I can get away with mostly anything on the roads in Taiwan.[/quote]

Yeah…anything except speeding…24,000nt fine for f’ing speeding…I’m scared to ride my bike…honestly.[/quote]
Is that for speed camera fines or from manned radar traps? Jesus!

[quote=“sandman”][quote=“Mordeth”][quote=“Bubba 2 Guns”]

Yeah…anything except speeding…24,000nt fine for f’ing speeding…I’m scared to ride my bike…honestly.[/quote]
Is that for speed camera fines or from manned radar traps? Jesus![/quote]

Both…but only if doing 60 above…and I do 60 above on my scooter on my way to work. I’m not even going to say what I do on my Ninja when wearing full gear. Well…I will…but only if someone is dumb enough to ask.

Feck! I do 60 above most days too – that’s only 100-110kph on most roads!

[quote=“llary”]Well, actually the second but this is the first time I actually had any contact with the driver and the first time I wasn’t in my truck - things seem less scary and a fair bit funnier inside a big steel cage.
I know I have a random vendetta on my hands… maybe an RZX owner fucked his wife last week… who knows…

I always ride with full gear and full-face helmet so it definitely wasn’t a foreigner thing.

I could steer a lot faster than him (probably because he was so fucking drunk… see below) and he didn’t succeed

He starts shouting something in Taiwanese, at which point I realise he’s so fucking drunk that he can barely keep his head upright.

What I wish I’d have done at this point: got in his car, switched it off and headbutted the little prick before driving his car into a wall. I’m still wishing I did this right now. I’m a wuss.

What I actually did at this point: failed to take in what was going on and couldn’t think of anything else to say except ‘what… the… fuck?!’ Inexplicably, he then shakes his finger, makes a left turn into an intersection accompanied by screeching brakes of oncoming cars and clips the side of another parked car with his mirror as he does so. This guy seriously needs castration and/or a good beating.

I have his reg number (V61316 - will I get banned for posting asshole plate numbers?) but I see zero point in reporting it.

When I read this story, I was very hesitant to say anything, but now I think I should just add an IMO.

LLary, I think it is judgment and irresponsible to allow this to happen or at least not to not follow thru. Why come one the board to talk about this situation but not do something. You first state that this guy ‘could have a vendetta ’ as if to be sarcastic, but then when you realized that he was drunk then you changed your tune to “it wasn’t a foreigner thing”. Then you question if you could be ‘banded’ for posting a vehicle license number. I don’t even know if that was you trying to appear responsible /smart’ or just warning us of someone in the 3 million people of the Taipei area that drive drunk.

If you truly wanted to be a contribution to society, you IMO could have filed a report. There wouldn’t have been a sense of “I’m a foreigner in a foreign land” situation. But rather “I’m a human being interested in persevering the life of others no matter where I am”. Your post is filled with mixed convections. Yet, you say that he needs to be pushinshed for his actions and yet, you absolve yourself of your own…

Next time I hope that you stand your ground and do what’s best for those around you.

Yes Llary. The punishment for mixing your convections is clothespegs on the nipples. Make sure you comply.