I just had my first homicidal driver experience

Shut up sugar tits. :raspberry:

[quote=“Namahottie”]When I read this story, I was very hesitant to say anything, but now I think I should just add an IMO.

LLary, I think it is judgment and irresponsible to allow this to happen or at least not to not follow through. Why come one the board to talk about this situation but not do something. You first state that this guy ‘could have a vendetta ’ as if to be sarcastic, but then when you realized that he was drunk then you changed your tune to “it wasn’t a foreigner thing”. Then you question if you could be ‘banded’ for posting a vehicle license number. I don’t even know if that was you trying to appear responsible /smart’ or just warning us of someone in the 3 million people of the Taipei area that drive drunk.

If you truly wanted to be a contribution to society, you IMO could have filed a report. There wouldn’t have been a sense of “I’m a foreigner in a foreign land” situation. But rather “I’m a human being interested in persevering the life of others no matter where I am”. Your post is filled with mixed convections. Yet, you say that he needs to be pushinshed for his actions and yet, you absolve yourself of your own…

Next time I hope that you stand your ground and do what’s best for those around you.[/quote]

The reason I posted this was to vent that I was annoyed both with this stupid fuckwit for drink-driving and myself for not reacting more quickly and not turning around to the police station. Are we only allowed to post on Forumosa if there’s a happy ending or something? I feel slighted by this reply because I try to do so fucking much to confront dangerous and stupid behaviour on a daily basis, and the people who know me in person will tell you that I practise what I preach when it comes to drunk driving. That said, I’m not a one-man Crusade for Good - I’m a 72kg guy who tries to do the Right Thing while also watching his back. When you’ve got someone trying to run you off the road whlle you’re riding a bike, there are lots of things going through your head - most of them pretty selfish things that involve not getting hurt. I’d like to have seen what YOU do when something like this happens so quickly when you’re tired and just trying to get home. My guess: absolutely piss all, like most people who talk big and tell others how they should do things. And what f’ing ‘actions’ do I need to ‘absolve’ myself of? This is the real world, Nama. With angry people and knives and guns and bullets and guys who just want to get home at 1am.

PS: I think you have misread the context of much of my post… I didn’t understand what you were on about re: vendettas/changing my tune/much of the rest.

[quote=“Dragonbones”]I had a similar experience once, and I did report it to the police. They showed up, were very nice, and said that without at least one additional witness or video to back up my statement, it would be my word against his, so there was no point in proceeding further. This implies to me that with your additional witnesses, you might have enough. I recommend reporting it, and insisting on police action. In fact, I would threaten to complain to the media if the police don’t act.

I think that would make it much more likely, yes. Anyway, glad you’re ok.[/quote]

I don’t want to talk about it here, but I reported something once with two witnesses… same story. Unless the crime is Flavour of the Month, it’s pretty much the same reply no matter how much evidence you have. As for going as far as the media etc, how many people are really that altruistic to put themselves in the public limelight in order to get the police to do their job and get an unkown and seemingly violent entity into a lot of trouble? I’m sorry, but I have to admit that I sure ain’t. My life is coming together right now and I’m not going to risk stirring up shit over something that shouldn’t concern me. I’m chalking this one up to experience and letting it go.

[quote=“llary”.[/quote]

The reason I posted this was to vent that I was annoyed both with this stupid fuckwit for drink-driving and myself for not reacting more quickly and not turning around to the police station. Are we only allowed to post on Forumosa if there’s a happy ending or something? I feel slighted by this reply because I try to do so fucking much to confront dangerous and stupid behaviour on a daily basis, and the people who know me in person will tell you that I practise what I preach when it comes to drunk driving.[/quote]

Yea i got your need to vent and i’m all for it. but i couldn’t understand what i thought was wishy washiness on how to handle the situation. What am I suppose to do with the guy’s licence plate. Why bother to post it? I guess that was a part of the rant :idunno: But it seems to me, i would have just gave it to the police and said to myself, “I did my part” and moved on. And as for the real world part. I’m clear on the realities here. :wink: :slight_smile:

I see where you’re coming from Llary, I really do. No, I wouldn’t have made it my mission in life to see the guy nailed to a cross. You don’t know for sure the guy was drunk, even though it looks pretty obvious, but you did see a hit and run on a parked car and that in itself is a pretty serious offense. I would have left a number on that car to give the owner the option of trying for some justice. Up to him if he can find another witness or not to corroborate the story, but at least you would have given him some options. I have offered to be a witness in several incidents/accidents and the vics have gotten satisfaction in every case except one. Most of the perps get suddenly sociable and amenable to paying damages when they realize the odds are against them, a few of them wanted to have their say in court but I only had to give a statement to the cops and that was it, no need to take the stand.
Paying out for some repairs on a parked car is a far cry from losing your license for DUI but it might make him think twice before starting any high speed chases. Or then again, maybe not.

[quote=“redwagon”]I see where you’re coming from Llary, I really do. No, I wouldn’t have made it my mission in life to see the guy nailed to a cross. You don’t know for sure the guy was drunk, even though it looks pretty obvious, but you did see a hit and run on a parked car and that in itself is a pretty serious offense. I would have left a number on that car to give the owner the option of trying for some justice. Up to him if he can find another witness or not to corroborate the story, but at least you would have given him some options. I have offered to be a witness in several incidents/accidents and the vics have gotten satisfaction in every case except one. Most of the perps get suddenly sociable and amenable to paying damages when they realize the odds are against them, a few of them wanted to have their say in court but I only had to give a statement to the cops and that was it, no need to take the stand.
Paying out for some repairs on a parked car is a far cry from losing your license for DUI but it might make him think twice before starting any high speed chases. Or then again, maybe not.[/quote]

He clipped the car with his mirror… wasn’t any visible damage from where I was standing and I didn’t feel like getting any closer to check. If he’d bashed up the other car then I would have given the two plate numbers in to the local police station next morning and left it at that. Earlier that night I got spat in the face for politely telling a guy that his lights were switched off while DRIVING AT NIGHT so I wasn’t feeling particularly amenable to any of Taiwan’s drivers.

[quote=“llary”]

Earlier that night I got spat in the face for politely telling a guy that his lights were switched off while DRIVING AT NIGHT so I wasn’t feeling particularly amenable to any of Taiwan’s drivers.[/quote]

He was saving fuel :loco: and the cost off lightbulbs :unamused:

Taiwanese is polite until they get behind a steering weel. Then it’s like everything outside the car is a 3d computergame.

That is atleast the way I feel some times.

I got a hope some week’s ago where I was a litle uncarefull and aproatched a intersection a litle too fast witch I gues hapends to annyone.
A car is about to turn in from the right and I brake late and he stops and actually make a gesture with he’s hand that I can continue even I’m on a scooter and he’s in a car. :notworthy:

First time since I arived Taiwan I have showen a other driver different gesture then the midle finger. :slight_smile:

[quote=“llary”]
He clipped the car with his mirror… wasn’t any visible damage from where I was standing and I didn’t feel like getting any closer to check.[/quote]Oh. Your original post made it sound like he bashed it pretty good. Fair play then.

[quote=“llary”]I got spat in the face for politely telling a guy that his lights were switched off while DRIVING AT NIGHT so I wasn’t feeling particularly amenable to any of Taiwan’s drivers.[/quote]Oh boy. :noway: Sad as this is, I learned a long time ago that unless I’m ready to get in a fight with someone (and potentially all of their friends) I should keep my mouth shut and my hands on the wheel. Even if I stop to let someone into traffic I don’t wave them in, just in case they misconstrue the gesture.

Remember that story on the news earlier in the week where two (or maybe four) people burned to death in a car after it slid off a busy freeway, hit a light pole and caught fire? Despite it being rush hour and there being hundreds of cars passing by, noone stopped to try and drag them out, or even call the emergency services. Cause and effect?

“Honey, should we stop and try to pull those people out of that car in the ditch? It looks like there’s smoke coming out from under the hood, and they’re banging on the windows trying to get out!”
“No dear, last guy I tried to help swung at me with a baseball bat. Look the other way and pretend not to see them.”

I would not worry too much about retaliation from a few drunks. Once the case gets picked up by the courts, any attempts to do anything funny will backfire badly.