I kicked coffee

…and have never slept so well. I’ve been a heavy coffee drinker since I was about 12 I guess (now 38), and have also had intermittent, sometimes severe, insomnia since then. Two weeks on the wagon and while I desperately miss my wake-up brew first thing in the morning, I can drop-off to sleep after being in bed for about an hour now. It use to take upwards of 3-4 hours, and that was on a good night.

And no, I never made the connection before… :blush:

How do other people deal with caffeine?

4 Likes

Coffee will wake you up in the morning, but studies have shown that it has little stimulating effect when drunk later on in the day, despite repeated cuppage.

I drink mine in the morning and maybe one cup before afternoon classes, and the caffiene and classroom exercise does the job and gets me through it.

2 Likes

I’ve been experimenting recently. I’ve stopped in the morning - about two weeks - and today was the first time I’ve had caffiene in the morning, a green tea. It made me feel full of energy. As for the coffee, I still need a brew mid afternoon otherwise I get a stonking headache and want to kill shao peng yos!

I’d like to kick the dependancy, and just enjoy a coffee now and again. But, then I said that about smoking and found the only way to stop was to truely stop.

L.

Limey, you bring out a flaw in my post. The FIRST cup will make a person more alert, after that…not much.

I guess that study doesn’t apply to me. After a coffee, wind me up and watch me go, no matter what time of day.

I drink coffee quite a bit less now that I am here in Taiwan. I sleep a lot better, too, but I don’t think they’re connected. I think I sleep better because I stay up all night, wake up in the late morning and work in the evening which has always been my natural rhythm.

Ahh, that makes sense JD. Guangtou - if you really want to quit, make sure you don’t start replacing coffee with other caffeinated drinks, Coke, green tea etc. I’ve noticed a marked difference in my ability to sleep just by cutting out one cup a day. Infact… zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Must be bed time. Nighty night! :unamused:

I’m one of those people who has never taken to drinking coffee - probably had about 3 or four cups in my entire life. Just don’t like the taste of it (and yeah, I’ve tried what people told me was “amazing” coffee - didn’t do anything for me). I do drink quite a lot fo coke though, so my system isn’t entirely caffeine-free… I’m trying to cut down on that though. Haven’t been sleeping well recently and I’m pretty sure it has something to do with drinking a lot more coke than usual over the past few weeks…

i need my coffee come two or three o’clock… managed to cut out the 5 o’clock cup recently though…

I’ve cut down on my coffee consumption as well, especially after 5pm. That said, if I don’t have one or three cups in the morning, I cannot function as a human being. I turn into a minotaur or something and am best left in a deep, dark cave. :taz:

What coffee do you guys drink? I buy that big bag of Starbucks beans from Costco as my main supply, and then pick up a few special blends at department stores, etc.

[quote=“TheGingerMan”]
What coffee do you guys drink? I buy that big bag of Starbucks beans from Costco as my main supply, and then pick up a few special blends at department stores, etc.[/quote]

personally i think your best bet is the two shops in ximending just down chengdu road from main square/subway station. i like “feng da” best, what they have already roasted has not been there for too long–much less sitting in a bag for months, lol–of those their cuban coffee rocks and they also have fresh beans from all over that they will roast to order for next day pickup, prices all reasonable. highly recommended

Wow! Thanks for the info. Next time I’m in Taipei (once in a blue moon) I will check it out. It sounds great, especially the roast to order part. Thanks again!

I used to drink very expensive coffee, because, well, because it was fantastic. But I switched over to the Kirkland bigcans you can get at Costco. The savings is enormous. The taste is clearly NOT the same, but I gets me buzz and that’s waht matters.

For example: Take the cost of a Starbux COTDay tall, 70NT, multiply that by 365 and …see what I mean? That’s a month’s rent, two months for some, for COFFEE! It’s amazing.

I’ve got one of those debit cards for Dante, very convienent but it does mean I never think about the money :astonished: especially when I need a slab of something sweet to go with the caffiene hit!

I went the other way jd. I started with the Kirk brew and went to the better ones. I figure it this way. Say 200nt extra, you get at least 100 cups. Its not a lot to spend 2nt on yourself to get a good brew.

I have 5 really strong black cups in the morning then nothing all day long. It works for me. I switched after the mid morning and later coffee’s started to taste all wrong for some reason.

Also, for milk in coffee types, the milk and coffee can make your breath smell really stinky. I used to work with a fellow who I avoided getting anywhere near close to for 10 long years. His breath had a horrible coffee/milky/ smoke type smell.

I gave up drinking coffee a long time ago…

Taking it by drip is much easier. :smiley:

I went the other way jd. I started with the Kirk brew and went to the better ones. I figure it this way. Say 200nt extra, you get at least 100 cups. Its not a lot to spend 2nt on yourself to get a good brew.

I have 5 really strong black cups in the morning then nothing all day long. It works for me. I switched after the mid morning and later coffee’s started to taste all wrong for some reason.

Also, for milk in coffee types, the milk and coffee can make your breath smell really stinky. I used to work with a fellow who I avoided getting anywhere near close to for 10 long years. His breath had a horrible coffee/milky/ smoke type smell.[/quote]

Coffee is a dieretic though. Doesn’t that make you pee all day long? When I drank a lot of coffee, all day long, I worried mucho about getting prostate cancer because of it…silly?

I’m glad I don’t have a coffee habit.

I have habits though.

Just not coffee.

Since some of you are trying to cut back the best decaf is in the Far East Mall grocery store known as City Super. There’s a small coffee counter shop across from the prepared foods deli counter. You can’t miss it.

If you want real coffee, they also have little premade drip bags that fit to the side of a cup. Great for work. Quite decent coffee too, surprisingly.

call em a day before to order if you want anything roasted, 27891931, 27899886. kinda doubt they speak english though. maybe the boss but he’s usually not there.

Mucha Man, thanks for the decaf tip. Think I may be needing it soon…

I went off the wagon on Saturday (just an experiment mind you), and had a brew before doing my weekend buxiban performance. Never been so fired-up. SO complained that I was talking too quickly and failing badly in my attempts to be humorous. Felt good to be grinding my teeth again.

Saturday evening came and I crashed badly, but then couldn’t get to sleep when I finally hit the sack. No coffee this morning, though I feel like shite and could do with the pick-me-up. Getting jittery when I walk past the jug. Seems decaf is the only way to go now.