I looked into Taiwan’s pension so you don’t have to

There is a form you fill out for the change, I needed to do it when I updated my APRC #.

No, you should apply for a new digital certificate.

1 Like

Just a question regarding part time jobs alongside full-time work. Spouse based ARC married to a Taiwanese citizen with household registration.

I have a full time job that pays into my pension fund account, no problems there.

I also have worked several part-time jobs and I’m wondering if they are also required to pay into the fund? Some of these are cash in hand substitute work, obviously these won’t pay into the fund.

The main one is a public elementary school. I earn over $100,000 a year from this school usually over 2-3 months of the year. The contract I signed says ‘lecturer’ but they do make deductions for labor insurance.

Do they need to pay in the pension fund too? Do other part-time employers also need to pay into the fund?

When I use my citizen digitial certificate I can’t see the public school as having signed me up to labor insurance or making payments into the pension fund. The office lady seems genuine when I asked her about the deductions from my salary. I also can’t imagine a public school doing dodgy payroll stuff like buxibans

They are required to pay in

1 Like

Yep

1 Like

So foreigners WITH 35 contributing years get about £100,000 lump some.
About £5000 A year if you live to 85. Not bad for basics i guess

Can someone remind me of or provide a link to find out the mandatory and optional, contribution rates? Non-teaching job btw.

article 14 of Labor Pension Act

or here
https://www.bli.gov.tw/en/0010366.html
Characteristics of the New Labor Pension System

1 Like

Employers must pay an additional 6% of your salary into the pension fund if you have an APRC, household registration or are married to/divorced from someone who has household registration. If you don’t fit into those categories it’s optional for an employer to pay into the fund. Which in Taiwan means there’s almost a 0% chance they pay into it unless you negotiated it before you started

You can volunteer any % amount up to 6% (total 12%) which involves an amount of trust in your employer as they will deduct the funds from your salary and forward it onto the pension fund.

2 Likes

I’m thinking of maxing voluntary contributions. Sounds like a good investment right? Returns are ok but not paying taxes on it are even better I think.

1 Like

I do it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The government also add a % depending on their investments / economy…?
It’s been pretty good since it’s conception.

The government doesn’t really contribute, they just administer the system. I guess the contribute labour but not $$$ into your account

You get dividends based on investment performance. Think of it as a fee-free index fund you can’t withdraw from until you’re 60

I think it’s a good system too. If employers declared earnings legally, it would be an excellent system.

Australia (my home country) has a similar system but it has less government involvement and there are lots of, highly regulated, funds to choose from rather than the government hoarding everyone’s money.

1 Like

Good to know. Thx.

I’ve not read the above so apologies if already mentioned.

There’s a guaranteed pension to anyone here with an ARC / APRC also.

It comes from you paying into the JenBao / insurance card.
Paying into it for approx 25 years you’ll get about $900k payout.

It also covers a host of other things such as approx 60% payment of your salary if your off work for medical reasons up to a year. Something like that.

Suggest anyone to look it up. My info could be a little dated.

laobao

Labor Insurance Act
or
https://www.bli.gov.tw/en/0007454.html

That’s the one. Cheers.

We now have the information for the 2022 “雇提收益” which is actually like a dividend but they can both give or take depending on the performance of the government’s investments during the year. Well, my pension account had 107,807 as of November 2022 (last date it shows me because there is a 2-3 month delay in data), and the 雇提收益/dividend thing deducted 4,712, which equals a reduction of 4.37%. So if any of you are tracking your pension contributions, the government took 4.37% out of your account at the end of the year. Makes sense since basically all types of investments took a decent hit in 2022.

As a note for further reference:

• 雇主提繳 are the contributions your employer makes (6% of salary by default)
  • 雇提收益 are the payments/deductions the government gives you once a year
1 Like

This also means that my pension account overall is now valued less than my employers have actually contributed to it…

2 Likes

That is some bullshit.

2 Likes