I LOVE China Airlines!

They’re a laugh a minute!

cnn.com/2003/US/West/01/05/p … index.html

HONOLULU, Hawaii (AP) – Residents of a high-rise told federal authorities a China Airlines jumbo jet flew dangerously close to the side of their 41-story building.

Ana Marie Vaisanen said she could see passengers inside the Boeing 747 as it swept past her 12th-floor condominium at Century Center Saturday morning.

“This roar became louder and louder and louder … and I look out and there is a 747,” Vaisanen said.

Some residents told television station KITV the plane came within 30 feet of the building and that one of its wings passed over the fourth-floor recreation deck.

Building resident Sylvia Thomas was walking her dog when she looked up and saw the jet.

“It went behind the building and came out the other side,” she said.

Tweet Coleman, the Federal Aviation Administration’s Pacific representative, would only confirm witnesses reported a China Airlines 747 was involved.

“We’re doing an investigation on it, so I really don’t have any specifics at this time,” Coleman said Saturday night.

A call placed to the airline’s office at Honolulu International Airport seeking comment went unanswered.

At 350 feet, Century Center, a mixed retail-office-residential condominium building, is one of the tallest structures in Hawaii.

hey, they didn’t actually hit the building. things are improving.

Thinking of buying a ticket on China Airlines? Click on the link below. :shock:
dnausers.d-n-a.net/dnetGOJP/260494.htm

[quote=“chung”]Thinking of buying a ticket on China Airlines? Click on the link below. :shock:
dnausers.d-n-a.net/dnetGOJP/260494.htm[/quote]

Is this the correct link ?

dnausers.d-n-a.net/dnetGOjg/260494.htm

They’re good aren’t they ? It’s a wonder China Airlines is allowed to fly anywhere.

There used to be a site called Am I Going Down - A Guide to Airline Accidents, it calculated risk of flying certain routes on certain airlines. But the site is now gone, here is the old URL, if anyone knows if they have a new website post it here.
amigoingdown.com/

I’ll have to agree with daltongang at least they didn’t hit the building.

If they had, they would have blamed the building for being on the wrong runway.

Here’s a follow up:

asia.cnn.com/2003/US/West/01/05/ … index.html

FAA: Plane wasn’t threat to building

HONOLULU, Hawaii (AP) – Federal aviation officials said a jumbo jet was slightly off-course when it approached Honolulu’s airport but not enough to substantiate claims by high-rise residents that it flew dangerously close to their building.

The China Airlines Boeing 747 was less than a mile off course Saturday morning, said Allen Kenitzer, a spokesman for the Federal Aviation Administration.

He said the plane flew over land when its normal course to Honolulu International Airport would have kept it over the ocean, but would not speculate why.

There was no immediate response to calls seeking comment from the airline’s office at the airport. A recording said Flight 18 from Taiwan and Tokyo lands at the airport at 7:05 a.m. Saturdays.

Kenitzer said the FAA’s preliminary findings didn’t match up with claims by residents of a 41-story building near Waikiki that the airplane was dangerously close.

Ana Marie Vaisanen said she could see passengers inside the 747 as it swept past her 12th-floor condominium at Century Center at about 7 a.m.

“This roar became louder and louder and louder … and I look out and there is a 747,” Vaisanen said.

Some residents told KITV-TV the plane came within 30 feet of the building.

Kenitzer said a full investigation, including an examination of air traffic data, would likely take several weeks.

At 350 feet, Century Center, a mixed retail-office-residential condominium building, is one of Hawaii’s tallest.

eGads! And here I am set to fly China Airlines to Taipei in less than two weeks. :shock: Funny how those budget travel folks never tell you why the ticket’s so damn cheap. Will have to remember to ask any cute girls seated next to me if there’s much of a chance of deep-friend chicken’s being one of my choices for the inflight meal.

"The China Airlines Boeing 747 was less than a mile off course Saturday morning, said Allen Kenitzer, a spokesman for the Federal Aviation Administration. "

So are runways miles wide then???

I’ve been reading through the Cockpit Voice Recorder transcripts here. Very interesting. One shouldn’t draw conclusions from these, but I have anyway…!

But if you REALLY want to be scared:

airsafetyonline.com/multimedia/

[quote=“blueface666”]
FAA: Plane wasn’t threat to building

HONOLULU, Hawaii (AP) – Federal aviation officials said a jumbo jet was slightly off-course when it approached Honolulu’s airport but not enough to substantiate claims by high-rise residents that it flew dangerously close to their building.[/quote]

Yes, and the residents had _________ as a reason to get together and lie about the incident.

What is it going to take to get this airline grounded?

That they manage to crash a plane with the prez of ROC in it. Nothing less. A poorly managed state-owned company,which honestly doesn’t give a rats ass about the safety of the poor passengers having the great misfortune of having to fly it. Remember that CAL is protected by its cums in the government. International prectice dictates that an airline, which crashes an airplane is baared from getting additional routes and frequencies for a year after the crash. Well, they circumvented by giving the additional Taiwan - HK routes released last year under the Taiwan-HK bilateral agreement to Mandarin Airlines… Which is a subsidiary of guess who??? CAL!
Fly EVA Air or anything foreign. CAL is “Buy [the stock], don’t fly [the planes]”.

I have flown in and out of Honolulu a number of times, most recently a few weeks ago, and although you do see a nice view of the city, you do not come close to anything that the residents of the building described. China Airlines is scary indeed. At least their flight attendants are easy lays.

Fresh from the Honolulu Advertiser:

the.honoluluadvertiser.com/artic … ln01a.html

Posted on: Monday, January 6, 2003

FAA investigating flight of 747 jet over Waikiki

By Walter Wright
Advertiser Staff Writer

China Airlines said yesterday the 747 jet that Waikiki residents complained about Saturday morning was on a normal approach to Honolulu International Airport dictated by the weather and the Federal Aviation Administration controllers at the airport.

And, spokesman Joseph Woo said in Taipei, preliminary investigation by the FAA does not match the description from residents who said the plane came within 30 feet of the 41-story Century Center condominium.

However, State Transportation Department spokeswoman Marilyn Kali said aircraft normally come in over the ocean, “and even in Kona weather they should never be over Waikiki.”

A spokesman for Gov. Linda Lingle said yesterday she has expressed concern about the incident and is awaiting more information from the FAA investigation.

FAA regional representative Tweet Coleman said yesterday the pilot of the CAL jet was on a visual approach, and was therefore allowed to set his own course rather than follow the dictates of an instrument approach. Visual approaches are quite common in Hawai’i because of its usually clear weather, she said.

Coleman said “we will have a couple of inspectors tomorrow reviewing the radar charts and so on, and listening to (communication) tapes. It is still under investigation.”

FAA spokesman Allen Kenitzer said the Boeing 747 was less than a mile off course, “on a different approach than would have been normal,” but apparently not as close as some residents reported.

Kenitzer said the plane normally would have remained on course above the ocean, but he would not speculate why it flew farther inland. He said the FAA’s preliminary findings are “not in concert with some of the things we’re hearing from the general public.”

Residents continued to insist the approach was an extremely unusual one.

“I, too, was jolted from a sound sleep to the monster roar of the 747 aircraft approaching the Ala Wai Skyrise Condominium,” Waikiki resident Alan Ball said. "The FAA does need to investigate this mishap and make sure that it never happens again.

“The plane did indeed pass between 100 and 200 feet above this 40-story condo and continued to descend over downtown Honolulu. It was remarkable that the plane did not hit any buildings in the downtown area.”

A resident of a low-rise three-story apartment near Kapi’olani Park said the roar “scared the dickens out of me.”

“My louvers were vibrating, and my second thought was it was terrorists, and I just lay there, too afraid to get out of bed,” said Betty Rodriguez, a former state park guide at Diamond Head. “The only other time I have heard that amount of noise in Waikiki was when they have the missing man formation” in which jet fighters streak low over the city during Memorial Day and Veterans Day observances, she said.

John Carroll, a former Hawaiian Airlines pilot and head of a company that supplies pilots to foreign airlines, said reports of the 747 coming near buildings in Waikiki indicate “just how vulnerable this city would be to a terrorist attack” like that of Sept. 11, 2001.

After the Sept. 11 attacks, authorities here said they would use Hawai’i Air National Guard fighters, if necessary, to shoot down any incoming flight that appeared to be being used as a terrorist weapon. The guard had not responded late yesterday as to whether the China Airlines jet’s flight path triggered any alarms.

Everybody has to jump on the band wagon when it is China Airlines

or maybe it just was China Airlines at it again…
That report about the crash in Japan was reflective of the type of flying people associated with China Ailrlines…I also heard before that if the captain is doign something wrong… the co pilot and sub ordinates are usually too afraid to tell him else cause him to loose face

I wonder was it a Taiwanese ex Airforce pilot flying??

TNT,

Fatal or near fatal incidents involving China Airlines in the last 5 years:

Alaska, Hawaii, HK (1), Taiwan Straits (200+), and CKS Airport (268). There may be others too.

Far too many to ignore. Where there’s smoke there’s fire. And no, there is no crass pun intended.

China Airlines is a shoddy piece of work. This latest incident is too coincidental to blame it on the control tower. I know this is not a logical argument, but my gutfeeling says I’m right.

Oh and I almost forgot. Remember their “gambling” commercial a while back? What a joke!

I would not fly with them, even if I was given a free First Class ticket to the Bahamas. And I advise anyone to not even consider the risk, a very real one, of flying with them to save a few thousand NT.

Another thing, have they paid out compensation yet for their last “mishap?”

Maybe Alleycat… but it is better to wait and see what really happened and who is to blame before jumping to conclusions

Like you I avoid flying China Airlines

Has there ever been a conclusion on what happened to that China Airline plane that went down last year coming back from Hong Kong? I can’t remember reading anything about it.

TIA
Iris