I made bags while incarcerated in Taiwan

:pensive: :pensive: :pensive:

Does he?

Oops forgot the command! :doh:

Does Dawud need to quote Jesus? @discobot fortune

:crystal_ball: Without a doubt

Okay @mad_masala, help Dawud tell us about prisoners’ rights! :slight_smile:

The little toerag doesn’t seem to get that (a) people don’t get sent to prison for no good reason and (b) it costs a lot of money to keep them there. The work you do pays for the work that other people have to do while you’re behind bars. Have to pay for your own soap and whatnot? Oh, the horror! Who do you think would be paying for it if you weren’t in prison? While I agree that prisons are fundamentally stupid, the guy completely loses his potential audience with entitled whinging.

Azn Han Solo my ass.

4 Likes

The guy was smuggling marijuana snacks…that hardly requires the death penalty.

This thread is seeing some pretty shocking and completely unnecessary vitriol. Anyone who smokes MJ is East Asia is an idiot? Where the fuck does that come from?

1 Like

(Sigh.) Matt. 25:36, “I was in prison and you visited me.” There’s your Magic 8-Ball.

I don’t have too much sympathy for people in prison but it sure makes me think about the expensive bag that I bought from the bookstore. They should be doing things for society and not for big companies.

2 Likes

I am amazed at the confidence you people have in Taiwan’s legal system.

2 Likes

I’ve always thought how we treat the lowest people of our society like prisoners really define us.

Yes maybe the guys full of himself. I don’t presume to know him. But I do know prison has a mentality that encourages prisoners to boast about their crime. Some crimes are respected more than others. And being in for some crimes give you privileges while others you’ll be someone’s bitch. So I’m guessing he had to keep up a facade for many years. Prison is just a pretty hostile environment. You don’t last very long being “normal” That and people who are locked in a cell 24hr for years with nothing to do and probably hasn’t accomplished much in life. You can see how in their minds they might hold on to or build up something like smuggling in their minds to keep a level of sanity. These defense mechanisms might keep them alive and sane in prison, but unfortunately they don’t do well in life with them outside and it seems like the blogger is a example of that. It doesn’t help with the general attitude of people you can already see here. One bad action doesn’t make you a bad person.

Death penalty for drugs? Really guys?

Although like others said, they aren’t there for no reason but if you’ve talked to some of them. It’s almost not a surprise they ended up there. People usually don’t land in prison from one bad choice. It usually resulted in a series of choices and some of them aren’t even in their control. They are ultimately responsible for their actions but sometimes I’ve wonder how life could have been different for some of them with the shit that happened to them. T

Unless you’re Nelson Mandela, prison will fuck up your head bad for most people. Most people will never spend time in one. But I’ve never seen one here or the US that actually tries to rehabilitate people. And it’s not normal labor. They are forced to and I’m not ok with that. In the US they are forced to or thrown into isolation. Isolation is torture. Human beings are not meant to be isolated in a cell with no window and no one else for days. Take a look at this video about solitary confinement.

https://youtu.be/o4wDpOFqqBQ

I think the phrase let who has not sinned cast the first stone is what someone is looking for.

5 Likes

When I read the article, I was thinking about the bad influence on the writer. No one gets better by being in prison.

Andrew is onto something. Whether one takes the position that cannabis smugglers or any other types of criminals do or do not deserve solitary confinement, it’s a practice that’s in the process of being found unconstitutional in Canada and probably other countries (not absolutely unconstitutional, but e.g. it can only be done for five consecutive days).

Remember Zain Dean? Didn’t Scotland say Taiwan’s prisons are not fit for Scotsmen? It’s something to keep in mind. :2cents:

Him holding on to this criminal past isn’t something new for people who gone into the prison system. When you get in, you’re literally stripped of your identity. You become inmate 1111 or whatever number. So holding on to something for people that probably hasn’t done to much in their life is a way to keep sane when you have nothing and are locked up with no identity. And like I said, your crimes also hold value sadly in prison. You might be respected for one vs another. Whether a person changes and tries to do better is up to them. But I’m just saying prison doesn’t really do a good job of rehabilitation with the said example.

But a lot of good literature does get written, so swings and roundabouts. :sunglasses:

Taiwan was fit for a fake Pakistani Scotsman to come to Taiwan and do business here, yet it isn’t fit for serving prison time. The tragedy in this case however is not the warped logic of Scottish courts, the tragedy lies in the inability of the NIA to conduct proper passport controls.

8 Likes

Not sure if Azn Han Solo’s writing counts as “good literature,” but maybe a professional editor can whip it into shape.

1 Like

But does it still count as solitary if you share your cell with a bunch of deities? :ponder:

1 Like

If the self is an illusion, it’s like you’re not even there.

1 Like