I might break his neck, but he'll be more comfortable!

I’ve seen this more than once now. Someone on a scooter has a bad accident they are on the ground unconcious with a pool of blood around their head…and what do the locals do?

They lift the person’s head up and put towels underneath. I most recently saw this at an intersection by my house. The guy had no helmet on and hit the side of a car doing 50km/hr he’s lying there motionless with blood coming out of his head. And they lift his head to put a face cloth under it. Then some by-stander offer another towel and they lift his head again to stuff it under.

What do they think the guy’s needs are? Do they think that the guy in his unconcious state is subconciously thinking something like:
" Wow, what an accident! I might not live. I might be paralyzed for life, but to be honest that’s not what’s really bothering me right now. What’s bothering me right now is the fact that this road is really hard. It sucks so much lying on this road without a pillow. Oh look! Somone is lifting my head and breaking my neck further…yep, paralyzed for life…But hey! The road suddenly feels much softer and comfier under my head. Thank you, kind bystander!"

:loco:

I’ve thought about this a few times…and reading about neck injuries in the Health forum reminded me to post this. Next time I see someone trying to put a cloth under someone’s head…I think I’ll just break their neck :wink: .

That’s Taiwan. They’ll kill you either by kindness or ignorance, but rarely malice.

HG

This is quite true. The neck should be immobilized in a neck brace. Do the ambulance guys even HAVE those things. The ambulances I’ve seen here are like empty meat trucks.

Necks are not meant to be jostled after an injury.

I thought you got to lie in relative peace until the meat truck arrived and butchered you with their handling.

Seems that you can’t even lie there at first without being damaged.

It just comes down to knowledge and education. These have not quite caught up yet with the the 19th or 20th century. If they arrived with a donkey and wooden cart at least you would know what to expect.

The bit about all of this I can never understand is that I presumed most men here would have at least a smidgeon of first aid knowledge learnt during military service. You’d think too that that compulsory military classes - rifle firing, plane recognition, etc, meted out in universities would also arm most women with at least the rudimentary “do no harm” basics of first aid. Sadly no.

I would have thought that a nation under the gun for so long and professsing to constantly train for a nasty eventuality would at the very least ensure universal understanding of the fundamentals of first aid.

HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]The bit about all of this I can never understand is that I presumed most men here would have at least a smidgeon of first aid knowledge learnt during military service. You’d think too that that compulsory military classes - rifle firing, plane recognition, etc, meted out in universities would also arm most women with at least the rudimentary “do no harm” basics of first aid. Sadly no.

I would have thought that a nation under the gun for so long and professsing to constantly train for a nasty eventuality would at the very least ensure universal understanding of the fundamentals of first aid.

HG[/quote]

I’d never thought of this. You are right.

Maybe if you got your arm blown off or were gutshot they would know exactly what to do.

I was told recently that ambulances are driven by hired “drivers”, not paramedics. Now all the pieces fit on why I used to always ask myself why the guys driving the ambulances never wore uniforms…instead they wear golf shirts of their choice…

…so, i’m safely assuming that the emergency first-aid training I received in the Air force puts me a few steps more qualified ahead of the wannabes at the wheel of the meat wagons around here…actually come to think of it, I’m sure most of us on this board have more knowledge in this first-aid than these guys…

…On another note, why are the police such retards?..as I drove down the mountain and into town this morning, I rounded a long right-hand sweeper only to see that 2 scooters had crashed…and there it was, the police car parked as close to the accident as possible with his lights on…I heard the cars behind me start screeching as they hit the brakes to avoid the police car that no one could see coming into the corner…Why is it so difficult to think and use common sense…at least they could have parked the car at the corner entry so that all cars coming could have slowed down and just went around the accident safely and efficiently…or at least use flares!..Idiots!!

At least they could shake him trying to wake him up … :smiley: but you’re right, they should do it right or not ding anything at all … hey but in the stataes you could be sued for doing nothing … but than you could be sued for trying to help also … :s

Anyways, if he didn’t wear a helmet he probably deserved it …

You mean they should have parked some meters away and WALK? That’s possible? Really? I thought it is a basic law here on this island that you let your vehicle drop of your ass as close as you just can get to where you want. No matter if you risk something or not as long as you safe one or two footsteps. :unamused: :loco:

You mean they should have parked some meters away and WALK? That’s possible? Really? I thought it is a basic law here on this island that you let your vehicle drop of your ass as close as you just can get to where you want. No matter if you risk something or not as long as you safe one or two footsteps. :unamused: :loco:[/quote]

Very true…it would be so terrible if anyone had to walk a few steps more than needed! :loco:

:bravo: :laughing:

Very unfortunately, this is so true.

[quote=“skylarkpuma”]I was told recently that ambulances are driven by hired “drivers”, not paramedics.[/quote]That is true. Ambulances here are basically just a taxi rides to the hospital. I once stopped at an accident scene where a young rider was laying on the ground unconscious. Although I am certified to help, I was too intimidated to do so and besides I don’t speak the language in order to get legal consent. I did the first-aid class a couple years ago but I never had to put it to use before. The ambulance showed up and they sat him down, tapped on his face to wake him up and talk to him…I could not believe it. :loco:

bobepine

How about the run someone down, and then pick them back up before asking if they are unbroken?

I see China’s invasion plan: Treacle bombs on all major intersections.

Saw a guy with a suspected neck injury (sking accident in Scotland) that I’d been telling everyone to leave the f**ck alone for half an hour or so pretty roughly handled by a UK ambulance crew (no neck collar or brace), so it isn’t JUST Taiwan. Maybe they could tell at a glance that he was faking his neck pain, but I doubt it.