I miss Taiwan

Might be unlikely as profit margins get smaller and smaller for the dinosaurs that own the businesses. They’re too old now to invest back into the company in things like innovation and marketing campaigns. They’ll just work the workers more and keep stagnant salaries before they cash out. It’s terrible, I don’t know if there’s anything to do to change this.

I actually think that both statements are not general enough. My own personal philosophy: “avoid interacting with people”

3 Likes

From 2015 but I read of similar cases ongoing.

Same ole same ole.

This is my general policy these days.

1 Like

We were talking about this complete lack of marketing. Did you know Taiwan already has a fleet of autonomous cars of the highest reliability? Probably not, because they are in the hands of Yulon and Acer.

Tested in Xindian.

https://youtu.be/BoArjHBxRhM

1 Like

There was also a huge pollution case, dunno what was the end of it if any.

Taiwanese businesses make perfect case studies of prime examples of poor marketing. They spend so much time making good products but fail to make anyone want it.

“avoid interacting with people”

Preaching to the converted! Overseas phone calls aside, it’s been several months now since I’ve had so much as a conversation with another human being. But that kind of life will destroy you pretty soon. Also, while again we need to emphasis the possibility of many exceptions, people in my country can generally assume that their employer/business partner will have a minimal respect for the law and ethics (and so no need to pre-emptively avoid/distrust people). However, if the employer/business partner is taiwanese/mainland Chinese, then in my experience it would be unwise to make this assumption

We can weigh up whether the gold medal for dodgy and unscrupulous behaviour should be awarded to the taiwanese people or the mainland Chinese people. I’m happy to give the gold medal to the Chinese. Thing is, if the Taiwanese people, with their democracy and de jure openness and freedoms are hardly or no better than the mainland chinese, who come from a society that’s in many ways pathological, then Taiwan really has no hope. It may be that business people, people with money and guan xi from taiwan are an anomaly , repugnant and even evil in ways ordinary taiwanese people are not: I used to try and think that way, but it’s probably not true. It seems more likely (again, with exceptions) that most taiwanese (in spite of apparent friendliness) and mainlanders - if given the chance - will abuse and hurt others for personal gain. The culture seems to be fundamentally sick.

I think this is pretty much true of people in general. But like you said before, laws are more easily bent and ignored without punishment and results in people getting ahead with that method. That’s why I said it’s not a race thing before. It’s that certain places rewards the breaking of laws without punishment more often and builds these cultural norms and allow the people that would do these things to get ahead. It’s not like certain people are genetically predisposed to doing scummy business practices.

1 Like

The difference between two countries so closely related, culturally (at least historically), is interesting.

Is that just good manners applied within a geographic limit though?

“you have to go back to the roots if you wanna see the facts and if you’re seeking for the truth mate now smell the shit on your boots mate”

Like what power is really positive when taken from a global perspective?

P.S. Still in love with Thag, muah muah

1 Like

I might be naive, but I think that at an individual level these very elementary “good manners” are internalized to a certain degree in the majority of the population in most Western countries and in Japan in a way they’re not (generally) in taiwan and mainland china. Take your typical long-nosed westerner small businessman (i mean his business is small, not his stature necessarily) and change his geographical location and the local laws and he generally (many exceptions of course) won’t start doing the things described by BrianJones above. But before you raise legitimate objections, let’s have a chat about crabs.

Put some underage crabs (wtf? I meant undersized crabs, although undersized crabs are usually underage, so underage makes sense too) in a crabpot. Stroll your unsuspecting mainlander, taiwanese, westerner, japanese and Nazi SS test subjects past the (liscensed, belonging to someone else) crabpot. Id bet on more mainlanders and tawianese pulling it out if no one was around and going home with pocketfuls of crabs than the other three groups. Which Brings us to your point

So relatively good personal ethical “manners” is only part of the story. Our SS test subjects (or American imperialists, or whatever) might not be crab rustlers at an individual level

Still, I guess healthy misanthropy is a good antidote to prejudices against specific groups. Im still overgeneralizing, no doubt, but cant help it.
Booing Taiwan is my current “ lubie”. I sometimes make impulsive statements and try and rationalize them afterwards

Oh yeah, after Thag died he came back to life but left me to go and live in a cave near Beijing with a Homo erectus (snigger) named Tom (AKA Peeking Man) . Im heartbroken

1 Like

Not 100% certain it’s the reason. But it seems many Muslim grab (Malaysian Uber) drivers seem to cancel when she is alone.

Yep. They have separate cars on metro and trains, so cars are obviously nope nope.

BTW I noticed most probiotics sold here in Taiwan are packets, meaning powder, not capsules or pills or any compressed thing. Maybe your Mom can send you a box or two.

Also, Yakult is your friend.

I would say if you’re a women, don’t come live here. The place gives me a rapey creepy vibe all around. I see a bunch of ugly fat losers creep.

Well Latin America does not earn prizes in respect for both genders, so… let us just say that Taiwan is refreshing in that sense. Yes, there are perverts, but they are not applauded, but rather pummeled by a group of amas.

I have heard though that in Italy they have reformed and are now very courteous towards women. The macho bravado seems to have gone in history.

Italian boys are more frail than Taiwanese boys. And just as short lol. I think the ones in the very north are taller. But overall they are just as skinny and short. I feel like the women could beat their asses if they tried anything.

But it’s almost funny that the guys creeping are usually pretty unattractive thinking they are the man.

Northern Italians are much taller than southern, but they are pretty skinny till they reach their 30s and then no one knows what happens and the become so fat.
Generally they are much nicer than they used to but still pretty creepy tbh…
Mostly they just treat you well when they want something

Tomba the Bomba was like that. A big fat guy, but such a fantastic skier. I loved watching him do slalom.

1 Like

Hot water is not working again for whatever reason.