I miss Taiwan

Isn’t the weather hot enough to take cold showers?

We should just retitle this the ‘Malaysian apartments suck thread.’

2 Likes

Are you serious? You take cold showers in Taiwan all the time? Because it’s hotter. Everyday there is some issues!!! Ahhhbh

I do in summer and most of spring and fall. In winter, I do prefer to have hot water.

But I do understand that it must be frustrating if things break all the time. I had to do quite a bit of minor construction work when I first moved into Rooftop Rich Honour Dragon Palace*, including generously applying silicone to all the windows and gaps in the steel sheet walls, waterproofing on the roof, and some wind shields for my plants.

(*) Name inspired by Taiwanese apartment complexes

4 Likes

Wtf? Your place was leaking from the roof?

In my case it’s more like the you get what you pay for. I’m paying a pretty high price for a really nice place. Sea view and all that. If I was in a run down 30 year old place for cheap, yes. I think I will run into these things. But I really wanted to avoid all of these problems so I got a brand new just opened place, and paying for a really nice unit. And so far it’s just awful.

We should have access to our facilities, but for whatever reason yesterday the gym was not opened yesterday. Also I was told by the guards at the gate my grab driver can’t go in to drop me off because their boss said so. I had to tell them I’m their boss, let me in lol. I hate this building. I’m currently withheldibg rent until things are at least fixed and asking for discounted price. Every time something breaks. I must go to the management office, of course it’s only open during working hours so I’m busy. And on days they come repair they give me like a 5 hour window and I have to stay home. It’s wasting so much of my time. That’s what’s pissing me off. I really want to take off for a vacation on the beaches here but shit keeps breaking and things take forever to fix.

Yes, nine months out of the year.

Let me explain to you how Malaysia is like with this simple picture. Don’t have up and down arrows? Oh well.

1 Like

Wait…the elevator only stops on two floors?

The up and down arrow ones are more expensive. Very smart money saving move.

4 Likes

Wait… your building has only two floors?

1 Like

No, it’s not my building.

It’s suppose to be up and down but I guess they didn’t have the up and down buttons.

1 Like

As said, brand new buildings are problematic in Taiwan. I have been told again and again by locals hiw untested buildings will have problems. Which, yes, runs counter to ligic but so do most things here.

Worse as withholding rent won’t do much as the problems belong to the building, not much the landlord can do.

Anyways keep your chin up and keep going.

Nothing like Andrews though. I’ve moved into a new development in Taichung it was a very smooth experience

1 Like

As an owner he is in the best position to apply pressure to the building’s management.

And what else can Andrew do? His only other choice is to sit on his thumbs until somebody else’s agenda plays out and the issues are resolved. Withholding rent is about the only way for a renter to impact that agenda.

Hang in there, Andrew. Good news is they put the “12” button above the “7.” At least they got the ordinality right.

1 Like

I believe the 2 month deposit can be used as leverage. The apartment I’m staying at is probably at the top of the rental price around my area. Most Locals don’t even make half my months rent. So they’d stupid to let me go, there are many new luxury condominiums propping up here selling to Chinese and Singaporeans. Most of them invest and rent. So they got hundreds of not thousands of units empty that are nice for rent. I believe I can just live here 2 more months legally. I asked them to fix these issues before I pay rent again.

1 Like

Oh, god.You don’t know much about Taiwan. As an INVESTOR - a high priority foreigner - it takes 8 to 15 weeks to get a visa (useless) and an ARC. I just went through the meat grinder. And even with a visa I couldn’t open a bank account. had to have an ARC. But once I got my ARC it only took 3 hours to open!

1 Like

Wow… I just saw this after saying hello. Sorry to see you are having a difficult time in Malaysia.

Not that bad compared to Malaysia. For my visa. It can take 4-6 months to approve the process of visa after I submit all the forms and do all the medical checks and have them notorized. After that I get a VAL. Not the visa, a visa approval letter. Which then you must go to Malaysia and do another medical check. A wait another week for the results, after the results are submitted, takes about another week.

The medical check up sucks because in most countries they have a recognized facility that will do all the tests for you. Taiwan does now. So they gave us a list of medical check up requirements. Each must find a doctor to do them for you and collect them all and original copies signed by the doctors to send over the Malaysia.

I’d do a little looking around for something equally nice that has the kinks worked out.
Sounds like they are running at half speed.

That’s this entire country I feel like.

I asked online about these questions. There are literally people like oh it’s not such a big deal. In Malaysia we like to choose between hot and room temp water.

Or there’s a switch we are not turning on…(apparently some “luxury” apartments don’t have water heater units) I don’t want to be mean but there’s that kind of mentality here.