I miss Taiwan

Really, have you interacted with me before? I sound like the saving face type lol

I said.

Italy-10.2%
France-9.1%
Spain-15.3%

And as you said, greece is around 20. Where am I wrong, they are all around double digits. There are others double digits, but these are probably what you consider developed countries.

Thats what i’m saying…many different countries. You can’t possibly say european countries and the west is just better. Some are definitely worst off than others. I don’t believe europeans move less than Asians or even americans. I’d like to see some evidence of that, I think the numbers would say they move more.

Dont have jobs. Or make min wage 1.5k-2k Euros and live with parents. Youth unemployment is huge in Europe. Well above double digits up 20-40%.

And who is saying it’s a dream country for emigrants? I made a personal opinion. My is probably skewed becomes i’m a citizen, half Taiwanese, half my family is there, most of my assets are there.

And in my perspective, sounds like you’re trying to save face. I recognize many aspects that would make Many counties in Europe better suited for someone. My fiancée is European herself and sees everyday benefits of Taiwan vs her home country. Not in everything of course.

did the earth just turn upside down?
a @Gain comment (5 ones above) well worth thought out. :clap:

Not only do I have to pay import taxes, which makes it slightly cheaper. I can’t find these headphones anywhere in Malaysia unless on one of the online shops. I basically have to pay an agent to do the permit for me. It’s way to time consuming for me to do all of this. So retarded. Also have to pay for each day it sits at customs. Get me out of here!

maybe take one of these…

I agree with quite a bit of DNice’s comments
Although Taiwan is not good for my career aspirations, other things make up for it. Some of us that live here are not a chase the career or money driven as others. If you are very career driven you definitely need to get out of Taiwan to places like Singapore and HK where foreigners have a decent shot at a career path if you want to remain in Asia.

Otherwise USA, Canada, and much of Europe is a good choice. People that stay in Taiwan do it not because we aren’t smart but because other things draw us here.

A lot of people I knew who stayed back home are stuck in real dead-end jobs. They’re deep in their 30s and still working as supermarket clerks, selling insurance, waitressing, or worst of all, pursuing a “fulfilling” career as telemarketers.

Call me crazy, but I’ll take teaching English in East Asia over all that.

1 Like

There’s definitely more opportunities for upwards movements in white collar jobs in major European cities. But most of them, London, Paris etc have housing up there with HK.

I don’t buy young Europeans all getting jobs after school and being able to buy a house. In Taiwan they might get shit jobs with low stagnant pay. But there’s an air of just a bunch of youths that seem to have just gave up in takibg a role in society in Europe.

1 Like

Wow, this is bringing a lot of unpleasant flashbacks… :astonished:

1 Like

Even worse. I used to manage call centres. I was very pleased that the UK doesn’t allow easy access to firearms, because an easy way out would have been a desirable option at times.

1 Like

Ouch. I just did a part-time stint in college, and that was torture enough. I felt like I was on Team Satan. In Bill’s words, I feel your pain.

What’s the average cycle of a telemarketer before they burn out? 4 months?

I don’t know. There was a regular turnover of staff, for sure. My nadir was when I was working for Caudwell Communications. This was a company that actively encouraged competition between its own staff on a survival of the fittest strategy. Bullshitting was standard. One of the call centres I managed in Prague was called Icon. Every couple of weeks I’d fly over and tell them to make their dialler active. They’d look me straight in the face and tell me it was. I’d say that I knew it couldn’t be because of the call stats. This conversation would continue ad infinitum.

Switzerland is not in EU, and there is no such thing as switz government paying kindergarten or giving cash for maternity leave

@ [Gain] You sound like a taiwanese/chinese nationalist + feminist on top of it? Holding american passport? While not letting foreigners having Taiwanese passport, secretly support this line of politics? Meanwhile you and your family take advantages from both sides.
I had so called friends like you, acted nice to my face and all of that, but when mentally sick (proven by doctors) ex took my son away to taiwan, no one of them helped me or my son. Neither Taiwanese legal “democratic” system.

I like you too Brianjones, i would love to drink guinness with you. I understand many of you having great life in taiwan. I also enjoyed my time on ghost island. But when shit hit the fan, you will be one alone waiguoren , specially when just having normal job and being without connections. Hope no one need to experience this. What i really think. I believed you/your family are soft cause not buying apartment when everything was booming. Are you talking about Berlin or Dublin? It was your decision to be in Taiwan, while you have been pushed out from home market. It happens. You like Taiwan, you see this is all am saying, being in taiwan was not best financial decision. I understand Taiwan is cool, you like it and took decision to settle down there. I totally get this and respect it as well. But at the same keep it real and understand you have it as much as taiwanese let you have it. And this can be taken away. Easily, This is Asia. What i think about trade and world geo strategical position of west? _

jesus christ, look, lets get them all now, lets hit them all now, while we got a muscle

_

When compare things, lets compare apple to apples and oranges to oranges. London with Taipei. I saw thousands of young taiwanese driving scooters in all kind of weather to save peanuts on MRT tickets. Many of em make 30k twd (800 euros) and living with parents too. Many of them will never buy apartment in Taipei. This is just how a lot of capitals are. They spent many hours studying in high school god knows what, their parents money burnt money on cram schools. Their rate of return is tiny as peanuts, working long hours for 30k to 40k twd. Great investment.

You want to compare south of Italy, Greece with what? Let put Pingtung on the map here.

They say Taiwan is best in Asia, asian tiger. Lets compare best of Asia to best of Europe. Taiwan with Finland, Sweden, Denmark, Netherlands, Belgium, Austria from EU, and add Switz & Norway from EFTA.

Agree Taiwan is decent in many way, and excellent in some parts, comparable or even better than first world countries. At the same time Taiwan is third world too, when it comes down to immigration policies, racism, labor - human rights, food standards etc. I do not really believe Chinese are able to understand this concept, the world is not black/white but can be mix of grey and orange colors too

I did it for about two weeks , answering ads about a mobile phone deal, Indian taxi drivers everyday…
Ironically I preferred door to door telesales…Immensely !

I lived in Florida for a while. Telemarketing companies would regularly recruit people fresh out of rehab because they are desperate for a job and need the cash coming out. Most of them with records so getting a job was hard. There was a big thing about it because people felt it was unethical to target addicts struggling stright out of rehab to a job that is clearly not great for their recovery.

1 Like

I feel like you’re making it way to personal. All I said was clearly not all of Europe is on equal footing in terms of measures of quality of life. A major reason for current tensions in the EU. That’s why I asked you where you are. I said over and over again yes there are plenty of European countries that are great to live in. Clearly hsinchu is not like Taipei. But you can say that about any place outside of major developed European cities.

Food is pretty subjective, I find many European cuisines pretty blend and boring, especially in Central Europe.

2 Likes

Bollocks, you see it even on here and elsewhere where people support each other in need in the foreign community and from locals. I’ve messaged people for help and I’ve helped people who messaged me. My close friend had the exact opposite experience as an foreigner who got sole custody from a Taiwanese ex. I feel like you had a bad go with it with some shitty friends. I’ve known plenty of them all around the world.

I can say the same from leaving the US. So many people that benefited from me for years won’t even take my call.

Why?
To meet some lonely housewives?

whyyyy, the school I’m trying to transfer to don’t understand the difference between the PRC and ROC…they think I’m from China China

1 Like

I was merely pointing out how things actually are in Europe (which btw is completely true. Just ask around) and I’m a nationalist? Give me a fucking break. Do you even know what that word means?
And now feminist is supposed to be an insult? It’s laughable how you actually have the face to quote human rights and racism on people while being a raging islamophobe and misogynist. Hypocrite much?

Seeing your attitude, no wonder no one bothered to help you. Btw I don’t have an American passport you dimwit.

And this is the dumbest analogy I have ever read in my life.

1 Like