I miss Taiwan

My father tells me to this day that I am an idiot for being here in Taiwan when I could work in a call center in the old country and earn in dollars.

I did not go to college 8 years and studied Mandarin for 3 to be stuck answering phones. But for them buying a house, having a car and joining the country club is the most important thing.

I’d rather keep on suffering with my job here and be free.

1 Like

Ayioo…

Inbound customer service isn’t so bad (although mind- numbingly dull). Outbound is hell in varying degrees.

Thanks but no thanks.

If I had my choice, I’d go back to customer service at an airline. Person to person, even if you want to strangle someone occasionally…or someone threatens to strangle you regularly. But a phone scammer? Most of these places in the old country are a step, a tiny step above, from those Taiwanese scam rings all over the world. The ones that pay best are the ones running bets and those would salivate at a Mandarin speaker working there.

Second career choice is selling pupusas.

@Gain
Obv there are people i can count on it. People who have helped, more you can imagine. I can fly tomorrow to taiwan with my son and only thing taiwanese can do, is take few photos with us. And when i will miss it enough or when son is old enough, will do that. And not cause of taiwanese girls, in the end they all around europe, hoping for better future.

Will hit a road with motorbike all up to mountains.

liar!

Got paid for each sign up a lot more lucrative and interesting people you meet. Plus was with my buddies.

PLEASE MAKE THIS HAPPEN. : D

Guy

Hmmm, difficult decision…you find Italian food boring. Bit more to Italy methinks.

I like Italian food. But I’m not big on French or German. Or whatever British food is supposed to be.

Really? Have you tried all regions? The rustic offerings down here in Dordogne are pretty awesome. Canard, truffles, local goat cheeses, etc.

Can’t say I’ve tried all regions. But each time I go to top rated French restaurants I’ve left feeling like I paid too much for food that’s just above average for my pallet. I find the ingredients lacking in any flavors that stand out as amazing and too much going on and trying to hard. Too much rich cream and not enough punch in terms of spices. Maybe this is just fine fresh cuisine.

If you want to recommend a particular region of French cuisine, I’d be happy to give it a shot. I love to eat.

Truffles, goat cheese etc, id rather go Italian lol. If I say otherwise I might get murdered.

Never go top rated or Paris! It is all show. Go where the local haute bourgeois go.

When I recommend French restaurants in Dordogne/Lot, they aren`t usually Michelin starred or even all that expensive, but where the well-heeled locals eat continually.

They are heavy on the duck and the foie gras and washed down with two bottles of local wine (and some Cognac or Armagnac). Can not go wrong in the hinterlands with heavier (than Paris) fare. In both of these restaurants with good liquor you are looking at about 120 euro each (with liquor easily half of that). You would pay double or triple in Paris for a less satisfying meal.

Lot:Restaurant La Garenne - Notre Cuisine - à 5 minutes de Cahors
Dordogne: http://www.leclossaintfront.com/fr/notre-carte-7

Find that Taiwan has a huge amount of western food, restaurants everywhere.

1 Like

Yea I was appalled when I went to Lisbon! It was like a 3rd world country. Graffiti everwhere, piss, trash everywhere, crumbling buildings. It just looked and felt poor, even the stores. Parts of Downtown LA look like this, and San Francisco is going downhill fast with poop on the streets.

It’s authentic man…Authentic.
You want everywhere to be sterile global brand name stores and shopping centers?
You go to Paris now,it’s real nice and everything but it’s just full of tourists. I hope Lisbon doesn’t turn into that.

No I don’t want all those name brand stores, I don’t like all that graffiti and stains covering up the beautiful historic buildings and colorful mosaic tiles. I can imagine how nice it used to look.

@Andrew0409
I’m in your neck of the woods today.
Taking a bus from Singapore to Kuala Lumpur for a few days on free travel.

Found Singapore to be clean and food safe but kinda boring. If you got a sheetload of money you can enjoy Singapore but I would call it Singabore. Too many rules made for everything. People are very direct to tell you when they are pissed off even with customers and clients. Everyone looks pissed, similar to Seoul.
The big pros is they preserved a lot of green space and hawker food is amazing.

Im on the bus now to KUL so I’ll get a good impression of the people once I can wander around.

3 Likes

Can you go into a little detail on this? I’ve heard there’s lots of silly rules.

I’m also curious about the silly rules. I heard fireworks/firecrackers are banned?