I miss Taiwan

I’ve also tried many pizza restaurants. Many of them even have stone ovens. The best pizza here so far is…Pizza Hut.

Idk what’s up with the dough here. The pizza crust just isn’t right. And the ingredients are garbage. It’s all disgusting. A lot of them are aren’t even cooked right with the dough still raw.

1 Like

That restaurant looks like it would be $$$$. How do places that look like that compare price wise to similar looking ones in Taiwan?

Food is overall pretty cheap. But many Malays survive on 350$ a month, so for them it’s expensive. There just isn’t a market to get good ingredients, people don’t have the money for a nice restaurant to survive.

1 Like

In your first photo, there are four items. The one close to the bottom left of that photo, that’s not tex mex. Looks like chicken wings or something like that.

How are grocery store prices? Are things like fruits and veggies much cheaper?

Also what’s the medical system like there?

It’s chicken wings. Can you imagine being served 4 wings on a plate like that? It’s chicken wings!! Not some delicate dish.

Yes, fruits and veggies are pretty cheap. But not many options and imports can be expensive.

Medical places seem a bit unsanitary. The clinic I went to for medical checkup for visa. Their biohazard basket for syringes and needles were overfilled and the pile was about 1 needle away from falling over…the restroom was so gross I almost threw up to take my urine sample.

1 Like

And don’t get me started about Taiwanese food here. There’s a chain called shilin “snacks” with pictures of shilin night market all over. It’s supposed to be Taiwanese street food, not good. Beef noodle soup…made me brush my teeth after to get rid of the taste.

Who told them that chicken wings are tex mex?
And the thing above it looks like it’s supposed to be badly done nachos. Probably doesn’t taste that good.

Taco Bell is more enticing

Most of JB is kind of a slum of Malaysia, and that isn’t easy to obtain. I tried to find the shine, never could. Culture is the same all over.

Those pictures are pretty funny. Looks like some kind of weird Asian fusion food. Why even bother calling it Tex-Mex?

I dated some pretty fine Chinese/Malay women in my early 20s in Singapore. I disliked the politics there but loved the women. I would call it Singalewd.

1 Like

hey @Andrew0409

what about the local cuisine? i don’t know much about malay food but nasi lemak or satay skewers(and i guess, many more) are pretty yummy to me. so can you at least positive that?

1 Like

The woman are amazing I fully concur. :banana:
Although I get the feeling they are looking for a big spender to even get a look.

In my early 20s, I had a killer condo there with roman columns, pool, BBQ facilities, steam room, and a 4 level flat. It was the ultimate bachelor pad. Lot of fond memories there. I was able to use some of the 5Cs to my advantage.

The 5cs of sales?

• Cost
  • Customers
  • Channels of distribution
  • Competition
  • Compatibility

What about today?
Those days are over?
And was that your pad or rented?

The 5Cs of Singapore are Cash, Car, Credit card, Condominium and Country club membership. Foreigners often don`t give two shits about these but the materialistic Singaporeans do to the extreme.

I was a broke post-grad in my first overseas gig. But I scored a killer condo with a few other people, and for a 21 year old, it was the party pad with great facilities. Lots of great times there.

These days — married to a Taiwanese and living very simply. :sunglasses: Taiwanese care what is in the bank, less so on the material comforts (at least some). Lots of rich people eating 60NT lunch boxes.

2 Likes

I think that’s why I get along with them so well.
I’m that way…A cheap bastard. 60nt lunchbox, whatta deal.
I travel to Singapore , HK, and Korea and feel really outta place, happy to return to Taiwan where I can feel comfortable in cargo shorts and flip flops.

5 Likes

I don’t follow. Were you a 21 year old with a job doing a postgraduate degree part-time, or had you already secured a postgraduate degree by the age of 21?