I miss Taiwan

:rofl::rofl:

I heard there’s a great new place called Dursts just opened up in Taipei. It does German style Italian food with a twist. Head chef used to run a top rated joint in Malaysia .

Andrew didn’t you say you were moving back to Taipei ?

:joy:

Diet Coke Sipper!!! (I miss Seinfeld…)

I posted my interactions with the local group here. Basically the expats PMed me and just said the standards of food is low but locals won’t admit it. And that people here can’t take criticism and will take strong offense to it as the culture here. The locals are crying on the page because I’m trying to “impose” my culture onto them or something. Jeez. Some even defended the guy saying of course you can’t find authentic food in another place. Clearly false, you can. And the context matters, it’s not a cheap eats restaurant you just expect it to be whatever. It’s a fine dinning place that’s expensive and sells itself to be authentic. And it’s BS the chef is German and trying to pass as European coming to bring good Italian and Spanish food here for locals that don’t know.

Be careful coming to Malaysia. Culture is low here and they get offended and angry if you point it out.

Is the Diet Coke at least up to international standards?

I prefer Coke Zero and it’s not common here.

I honestly can’t really taste the difference. Maybe if I drank them side by side.

Diet Coke taste diet. Coke Zero taste rather like a regular soda. I prefer it to coke as coke makes my teeth feel weird from the sugar.

They sent me an email saying they fixed the elevators. I believed them until I realized I’ve never seen 2 of them actually go up or down. They just turn it on, where I can see they are on floor 7 and b1. But they don’t actually even move… the Malaysian way of doing things I guess.

You should rename this thread the saga of the elevators. Never knew it could be this hard to fix some elevators.

[quote=“Icon, post:242, topic:172977, full:true”]
We were talking about this complete lack of marketing. Did you know Taiwan already has a fleet of autonomous cars of the highest reliability? Probably not, because they are in the hands of Yulon and Acer.

Tested in Xindian.[/quote]

By the way do you know at the AI created by Acer for taxi drivers to find passengers is being used extensively?

1 Like

Nope, and I would love to write about it, but does anyone get a a decent press release about it? Not me.

If you’re an investigative reporter (or even a government 上班族) and you’re waiting for a press release, then you are way too much behind the 8-ball.

That is the thing. How do you investigate what you know nothing about? We cannot go out every day to invetsigate and ask everyone what they are up to. As a matter of fact, my job is translator, not reporter, which I am incidentally because as you say, if you wait for the story to come to you, well, it is not a story anymore.

Yet there are companies -Gogoro, for example/ that tout their horn loudly. Acer and ASUS and a lot of the big names barely have a presence here in their turf, let alone abroad. That is a pity because they do great stuff… and there is nothing there.

Let me give you an example> this is IT month right? We were trying to do something about robotics. Unfortunately, the ones hogging the spotlight are Japanese or Chinese robots. The Taiwanese companies -and I am not naming names- do not even bother to answer our requests for pictures. I have to go to the exhibition and beg them to be kind enough to allow me to take a picture of the robot they have there, and hope they do because most of the time they think I am going to steal their design with my camera phone. Sigh.

3 Likes

You have any contacts in Hsinchu Science Park?
Research analysts at securities companies 證券公司 have all kinds of contacts in Taiwan’s tech field. Most research analysts are just glorified reporters anyway with a bit know-how on Excel and reading financial reports.

@Icon, I think you’re in the wrong (low-paying) field.

Well I do not have the advantage of being from an English speaking country, therefore my job possibilities are limited to what the industry here thinks someone from a 3rd world can do, not what I can really do.

But I do agree that in this field proper guanxi is what gets the wheels moving.

I was only there a week but I noticed a trend. If a favor or a question you were asking wasn’t too complicated they would do it , if it required more than a few seconds of thought they would just say no. Laid back to the point little gets done.

you don’t need to be from English speaking country.
the big plus is to be able to read Chinese.
they have english editors at foreign securities firms for the local Taiwanese analysts whose English is their second tongue.
Don’t use that excuse. If you have Chinese language reading ability there are lots of jobs out there. Sometimes people can’t or don’t want to risk changing careers over fears of failure. Can’t think like that.

I’ve always found that amusing when people are so scared of IP theft from a phone picture when real espionage would take place with a video camera hidden on that persons body. They certainly wouldn’t announce themselves with a camera phone lol

Already tried and I got the same response. Will keep on trying until I find someone who takes me as I am. Can´t grow a passport out of my ears.