I miss Taiwan

First world problems indeed regarding the restaurants.
Ding tai fung dumplings are great, service is good too!
TGIF is a treat and expensive for many mortals.

But the Delhi belly is a bitch killed me for a year in Taiwan haven’t been sturck down in decades. Takes a bit of time to adjust to new countries in tropics.

Los of us have to do medical tests in Taiwan too, they can be a pain.
The building sounds like mould from the wall or air-conditioning., Get air purifiers and dehumidifiers. Get the ACs cleaned. Move out if problem persists.

Groceries food costs are WAY cheaper in Malaysia . Cinema tickets too. Western foods are more easily available in the supermarkets in many cases I found.
There’s also tonnes of western style bars as rhe Chinese and Indians like drinking. They also like watching soccer games and premier league. Alcohol costs are a bit on high side due to tax. Some landlord won’t let you rent if they know you will drink alcohol. Malaysia hotel and b and b costs are much lower compared to Taiwan and selection of places to visit in AirAsia is fantastic. I enjoy visiting the different regions of Malaysia very much…

Dude you aren’t even working there are you ? Then you might have something to really cry about .

The other concern I heard about Malaysia is security.

Jeez, sorry to hear what you’ve been put through

Sue.

Many people aren’t aware they have distinguishable accents. I’ve always felt mine was very neutral as well, and never thought I had an accent. Then as soon as I leave the state people almost instantly know I’m from California. It’s weird.

That sucks

I endorse this

And this

Good luck.

Malaysians traditionally are more used to British English. The Chinese speak a version of English similar to Singlish in Singapore , and of course many ethnic Chinese and mainlanders there prefer speaking Chinese.
Indians English can be good, Malaysian English patchy.
KL has a lot of foreign workers so English level seemed decent enough.

Yes, after the “air it out and see if it gets better, if not maybe we send someone from management” I’m looking into getting my own people come.

I’m serious looking into litigation against management, contractors, developer or landlord. This is ridiculous, if it is mold it’s really serious.

The princess is hating it. Also miss the number one country in the world. Taiwan.

They need to stop spelling color wrong. :grin:

1 Like

I only pay attention to the flavour not the colour :smile:

1 Like

It sounds like you are suffering from toxicity due to exposure. Would there be any possibility that whoever used your apartment before you had been cooking and smoking methamphetamine there? You can get test kits from your chemist or drug store. Also ask the doctors to do another blood test to screen for methamphetamine toxicity to rule that out. If your blood tests confirm drug toxicity from exposure then go to the police and request them to test the apartment to determine exposure levels in different ares. Usually the kitchen and bathroom will be the worst places if methamphetamine was being produced there.

I think it’s most likely mould due the apartment flooding at some point (either from above or the same apartment ).We suffered similar symptoms in a place that had flooded and had mould in the walls (red eyes, sneezing, constant congestion, wheezing )…

Best to see if can get out of the lease and move on .
Say doctors orders .
It could be something else of course but seems unlikely.

No. It’s brand new. We are the first and literally the only people living here. Just finished building. My guess is not mold build up but building materials that may be new and giving out chemicals.

Sometimes when they build those buildings the migrant workers will live in them while they are being built. So there is still a strong possibility that it could be toxicity due to exposure. As far as the building materials are concerned are you allergic to cleaning products? Or suffer the same kinds of symptoms when using cleaning products?

Not that I know of. But I’m not doing much cleaning.

I’m going to have my girls father send some kind of letter from his legal firm to get things moving. It may take moving to a different apartment.

I mean regardless of what’s making me sick. They won’t open the elevators, I didn’t have wAter and when I did I didn’t have hot water for many days. Isn’t this some sort of breach of contract? I’m paying a lot. This is one of the nicest buildings in JB. Why am I paying to not get basic things I assumed I was going to get.

And Trip Advisor is the problem. That is tourist fare, overpriced.

I usually trust Taiwan guides, whetehr blogs or books or magazines, when it come sto choosing fare. Followed their lead in US and Canada and was not dissapointed. Try a travel magazine oriented towards Taiwanese visitors.

Indeed paint and glues and dust in general can be problematic.

In Taiwan they tell us new buildings are the most problematic, the ones that are untested and that is why all the problems come up.

But enviromental factors are also to be considered. Do you guys have an air purifier? I have heard that the air quality in Malaysia is really bad. But as seen you cannot close the doors/windows, as te chemicals trapped with you aint good either. make sure you have both air circulation and an air purifier.

That was my first thought. It could even be the paint if it’s new. Fresh paint in an enclosed space can be pretty toxic. Also I think you said it wasn’t cleaned? Brand new but not cleaned could mean fine dust from construction materials sticking to various surfaces.

1 Like

I think the region I’m I’m at actually haspretty good air quality.

I did buy a air purifier. It’s better now but I’ve kept all windows open. Costly on air conditioning but I guess I’m not dying anymore. But I’m scared to close them again.

I did get it cleaned and billed it to the landlord. It’s common practice, it was ridiculous I had to push for this. And especially more ridiculous his family came the day of signing and made a lot of mess. And they left their pots and woks in our drawers! I had to force them to take it or I’ll throw it out because it’s my rented space now. Ridiculous. Everyday I’m having to deal with BS like this.

Yes it takes about 3-4 weeks to get the ARC (10 working days for ARC, plus at least a week to get a health check before that). Before that, you might be able to open a bank account, but it’s not a given and plenty of people have difficulties doing so.

Bad food making you sick? Problems with immigration bureaucracy? Welcome to life as an immigrant :slight_smile: Maybe when you come back to Taiwan, you will be inspired by your first hand difficulties to effect change to make it better for foreigners here. (But probably you’ll just say “thank God I don’t have to deal with that any more” and go back to forgetting all of those problems because for you, they won’t exist anymore.)

1 Like