I miss Taiwan

I’ve heard of health issues after getting your apartment renovated. All the chemicals. I think this has been mentioned before in this thread. I would keep the windows open for a while. Maybe head out for the day with everything opened, and do this every day for a while?

These house plants recommended by NASA to clean air of toxins and chemicals. I used several combinations of them in my home, Snake Plants, English Ivy and Aloe Vera and noticed the difference in the air quality
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oVw9CNRQ8U

4 Likes

I’ve gone through immigration process before. Not as ridiculous as this. Even my girl who came to Taiwan is shocked by how stupid the process is.

Pretty sure You can get ARC before you come to Taiwan from your home country? No need for double medical check and waiting for approval while waiting in Taiwan. During the waiting period I can’t leave the country across to Singapore or anything.

Cool, I’ll check them out.

I don’t get it. Either it’s brand new and nobody has lived there before or its not brand new and somebody has lived there. I’d suggest the migrant workers were living in that apartment while working on the building. And that as much as you might not want to think it’s possible you should get a blood toxicity test and include exposure to methamphetamine. It is actually quite a big problem in Malaysia, Singapore, and Indonesia. The symptoms you are describing, nausea, vomiting, headaches, confusion, chronic diarrhoea, are all associated with toxicity due to exposure. If the apartment was used to cook methamphetamine it needs to be expertly cleaned otherwise you just end up being exposed again and again and again.

The interactions of complex chemical mixtures may produce broad symptom patterns that developed in these officers: reduced respiratory function (Burgess et al., 2002); headache, cough, throat, and eye irritation; variable numbness; heartburn and esophageal reflux, skin rashes; and central nervous system symptoms (chronic headaches, irritability, severe insomnia, fatigue, and even psychosis)

In very few cases (only for the Employment Gold Card AFAIK). In some other cases you can apply for residence visa ahead of time and skip the medical check. In some cases another medical check is required anyway. In most cases everything will be done in Taiwan and people are stuck for the first month without a bank account, lease, home internet, etc.

Sorry @Andrew0409 but Taiwan just isn’t the land of milk and honey for immigration you seem to think it is.

Example: a foreign child of foreign couple, both with APRCs, is required to wait 6 months after birth to get NHI, because they haven’t fulfilled the requirement of living in Taiwan for 6 months.

Taiwanese immigration has some serious issues. Maybe not as serious as other places or Malaysia, but the system definitely has it’s fair share of 進步空間.

Never said and thought it was. I’ve said it has issues in other threads. I’m just saying Malaysia’s is pretty stupid.

I don’t think the immigration laws on NHI are that out of line. My mom is a immigrant on APRC, she has to stay in Taiwan for 6 months out of the year to quality for medical treatment for her cancer covered under NHI.

APRC is the one for spouses right? She also does not want to forfeit her nationality.

Landlord is a mainland Chinese who works in Singapore. My house is 5min away from the bridge to Singapore. He has multiple properties and he put some of his stuff here. He thought he can use it as storage…but I said no. It’s my rented space.

Eh in Taiwan it is like that. Rarely do tenants clean after themselves or have the landlord do it. Repairs already take a lot of persuasion.

Why did they have their pots and pans in if the place was new?
Oh sorry, got the answer.

I get Taiwan isn’t some paradise. That’s not what I’m saying.

I’ve lived and visited many places. Even within south east Asia. Malaysia has been my least favorite. Great time in Vietnam, step into a street side phô place and I’m good. Thailand, awesome food and things to do. Malaysia had been extremely boring with awful food. At least where I am. The plus side is it’s so cheap. My money goes a long way, and I have one of the nicest apartment here that would only buy me a one room apartment in places like Daan.

Nope. Spouses is family visa, JFVC or JFCV or something like that.

1 Like

Ok, she’s on whatever spouses get. I’m aware of many of the struggles of Taiwanese immigrants with a immigrant mother.

Really? My family has land in zhonghe and always does this. It’s a basic practice of renting? I guess maybe it depends on the place.

They allegedly fixed the 6 month wait after several human crisis.

1 Like

Depends on the landlord. It is not written rule anywhere. never seen it in 20 years. they do ask if you can clean after yourself when you leave.

Really? Ive seen many contact have both the the tenant must leave the place clean and not damaged or it may come out deposit and the landlord is responsible for having an clean apartment for the tenant to move into.

Yeah in Taiwan they rent a lot of half dirty apartments, they also try to leave their office desks, spare chairs etc.

Regardless, the immigration process for visa is now finished.

It’s the constant barrage of fuck ups and problems. Most people here seem to strive for mediocre at best. Getting things done is way more difficult than it needs to be. I need to push and even make threats of litigation sometimes to push them to do something that’s so simple but they are to lazy to do right away wasting my time. No one knows anything and ask you to file some paper work.

I know this isn’t exclusive to Malaysia. Every country has this to a certain extent. But Malaysia is the worst I’ve ever experience. Incompetence, laziness and whatever cha bu du attitude is on another level.

Each I heard stories about Malaysia, immigration isn’t so smooth especially work permits. Getting stuff done takes ages in general.

Weird thing is Malaysians are really overweight. Idk why? Seems like there a lot of western fast food chains here and it’s incredibly hard to buy bottles of water. You can buy lots of sugary drinks and soda but hard to find water.

Malaysia has the most national holidays I believe. Like about 5 holidays a month. Sounds great until you’re trying to get things done and people don’t work on weekends.

I took a tour of Sabah once and the Borneo Grand Hotel was the worst hotel I ever stayed in. Claimed to be 5 star but reception concierge didn’t know the Wifi Password and couldn’t be bothered to ask or look it up cause he was chatting with the other staff and joking in the lobby.
The no smoking rooms were full of cigarette butts, there were no towels. When we asked for towels they brought us 1. The next day they did not change the used towels. All the staff just hang around chatting unprofessionally while guests wait forever to check in. I never experienced such bad service in any country.

1 Like