I miss Taiwan

Too much kopi tiam food, and it’s always too hot to exercise.

At one hotel…room service came in without knocking while I was naked.

1 Like

Oh yeah, air conditioning at gyms is a luxury. Don’t have any gyms near me with AC. But they got a fan though! Don’t mind working out in one of those old school gyms. But at least would like the option to go to one that’s newer with AC. And it’s hot all year with high humidity. The gyms smell especially pungent.

Nonsense. Asians don’t have BO.

Does your apartment have plasterboard (drywall)?

You may be too young to remember the great Chinese drywall scandal that helped precipitate the 2008 recession/depression in the US.

Basically the issue was that new drywall was off-gassing toxic gasses, especially sulfide gasses. The problem was the worst in the Gulf states (high heat and humidity). I think most of the health issues were chronic asthma and headaches, not gut issues, but it’s something to think about.

If you have no neighbors yet, then you can’t ask around for their experiences unfortunately. Easy test for this particular issue is copper items and silver jewelry. Have you two noticed any surface reactions by your copper or silver jewelry? Copper turning black very quickly, or silver tarnishing very quickly?

Anyway, just thought I’d throw it out there. Hope things get squared away soon.

2 Likes

In theory maybe, but rarely in practice.

So, not sure where to start. Have you ever rented an apartment in Asia before ? All of the stuff you describe with issues with the elevator, or the apartment being dirty, or the drains not working. Why the did you not check this stuff before prior to moving in ?!

I suggest you man up, and learn from your mistakes. Next time you rent a place check everything is in order prior to moving in, instead of having buyers remorse afterwards.

Sending legal letters is not conducive to a productive relationship with your landlord, I suggest you just move out if it doesn’t work with him.

1 Like

No. But interesting to know how it reacts to copper and silver for future reference.

How about wood? Formaldehyde anyone?

And you mentioned your landlord was Chinese…definetively would look to the materials as problematic.

3 Likes

No. Even the ones my family rents out in zonghe are all checked and cleaned prior to them moving in.

I would assume when you rent probably one of the nicest apartments in the city these things come naturally.

How do I “man up”?

I’ve been fixing these day by day. I can’t help my water suddenly not working. Elevator suddenly stop working. No hot water all of the sudden. Being sick from being in the apartment. All of these the agent told me was working. I’m sorry I didn’t stay and check if every single elevator was operational sitting there. And them suddenly not working at all and one side turned off on my block was after I moved in.

2 Likes

Does “man up” mean accepting plumbing that doesn’t drain properly? Hazardous fungus? Faulty electrical? Did you even read his post, or were you in a hurry just to show off how much more masculine you are? Keyboard warrior, eh? Like to see how you’d do in that situation.

4 Likes

I would be very concerned about building materials, too.

Lots of Chinese construction going on in Malaysia, residential and commercial, as China may (or may not) be setting a debt trap for Malaysia. Guess I’d be worried that some cheap, subpar building materials are being used in order to keep the velocity of construction there constant.

And you know your Chinese landlord is naturally interested in minimizing his construction costs, question would be how far was he willing to go.

I would move out if I cannot live there, sending legal letters will not solve the situation.

But, based on the description I read this sounds like any other building in Asia. I had similar experiences in both HK and Taiwan, no biggie.

Fungus is very common in these parts of the world, its just something you need to get used with and/or buy a air purifier.

Unrelated, I got screwed over on a apartment in SZ a few years ago.

I had to rent a apartment there as I was travelling weekly from HK to SZ. Anyway, when I went to look at the apartment one the current occupants was taking a dump, so I could not see the toilet. I asked the agent, does this place have for sure a western toilet and I was promised it does. Well, it didn’t, which I found out when moving in.

There is not really much you can do in the above situation, just as the current OP can’t really do much either other than move out if it is unbearable.

1 Like

Funny thing, i’m Complaining less than he is for sure. :woman_facepalming: At least I try to adapt

4 Likes

Health issues can really dampen anyone´s enthusiasm. I feel sorry for his stomach woes more than the food complaints. But the apartment making you guys sick, e un grosso problema.

1 Like

yes I see. But it was your idea in the first place .:sunglasses:

3 Likes

I doubt the Chinese landlord has any clue whatsoever about the building construction,that would be the developer’s domain. They usually buy these apts off plans.

So actually u don’t find me writing on Formosa do you?
Plus I like my university, and that’s what I came here for in the first place, and all professors have great English
Of course missing Italy and Taiwan!

i know I am joking with you. Did you mean to write “We” instead of 'I"? :wink:

@_Lilith says Taiwan number 1