I need help, i found a baby cat and cannot keep it

Hi guys, well last night i was walking the dog and i found a kitty in the bushes up in a mountain, its very small, but he can walk and eat…
i have a GR and a ferret, i am not really a cat lover and my room-mate is kind of scared of them… he told me that i really need to get ride of the cat or he will just take it back to the place where i found him… so please someone that can take care of him let me know… i will post some pics in the night, he is light gray and some white in the face !!

That’s easy then, just let it play with the ferret for a few minutes. Problem solved!

Solution seems obvious… Kick your room mate to the curb so hard his head spins… Scared of a kitten and threatening to re-dump it?.. What a cad… I’d offer to help, but right now we’re caring for 7 cats, which is maximum capacity… I hope somebody comes along to help you with your kitten problem, and your room mate problem… Good on you for caring enough to rescue the little blighter…

I dont see how that solves my problem…
i am not concerned about the ferret, i am concerned about the cat, i cannot keep it bcz the other person living in my house is very scared of cats and he really doesnt want the cat… he agree to wait for a couple of days so i can find a new home for him, but if it takes longer time he will force me to take it out of the house…

The roommate sounds like he needs a good ass-kicking. Don’t let him dump the kitten. Someone will be along to help soon. Be sure to state your location, btw.

If no one comes along to take the kitten, do some leg work – go to all your local vets and pet shops, ask if any can take it, ask if they know any ai4xin1 ma1ma1 who can help, etc… If that fails, please post online here again for further ideas before letting your roomie do something stupid and cruel.

i live in Jhudong- Hsinchu, i will do my best to hold my friend and find a home for the little one… but plz spread the word !!

Please PM me your contact info, along with all of the following information, and I’ll ask Dragonbabe to post all that on a local Chinese-language forum to see whether some local in Xinzhu can help you.

Breed: (if it’s a mix, then just write mix)

weight:

personality:

health condition:

description:

photo: (if any)

well guys the story ended up very good, i found a home for the little guy, he will be staying with a couple of South Africans that already have a 6 months old cat, so they will be playmates !!! i just gave him up last night !!!
thx to all for the help !!

Uh, I usually stay out of this stuff since my views on pet things seem to be a little outside the norm, but this one kind of has me scratching my head a little here.
What exactly was it that you rescued this creature from, again?
If it’s old enough to walk and eat, and it isn’t suffering from an injury or illness, then, erm, what are you doing?
I mean, this sounds a lot more like “I found a cute animal and picked it up and took it home” than “I removed an endangered animal from a situation where its life/well being were threatened”.
If I’m missing something here, perhaps S Dog or another of our knowledgeable experts can fill me in…

[quote=“the chief”]What exactly was it that you rescued this creature from, again?
If it’s old enough to walk and eat, and it isn’t suffering from an injury or illness, then, erm, what are you doing?
I mean, this sounds a lot more like “I found a cute animal and picked it up and took it home” than “I removed an endangered animal from a situation where its life/well being were threatened”.
If I’m missing something here, perhaps S Dog or another of our knowledgeable experts can fill me in…[/quote]

DUDE! A kitten being old enough to walk and eat doesn’t mean it’s old enough to survive on its own. Eat means it’s not nursing; this could be a 1-month-old. They can’t survive without care, and they need vaccinations and neutering. Plus, animals bred to be domestic pets will have a much better life in a home, rather than in the wild where they would likely die of disease, get run over, or reproduce, creating more miserable strays. It’s not a wild species.

[quote=“the chief”]Uh, I usually stay out of this stuff since my views on pet things seem to be a little outside the norm, but this one kind of has me scratching my head a little here.
If I’m missing something here, perhaps S Dog or another of our knowledgeable experts can fill me in…[/quote]

Cats do not thrive well on the street, never mind young ones. Until a kitten is able to run fast and jump up high over fences, etc, the chances of being killed by a stray dog are about 50/50.

At a young age, kittens have very specific nutritional needs that simply can not be met on the street. They soon become weak and sick. Once they get bigger, faster, and capable of catching mice birds and bugs, they have a better chance at living for a while but we’ve never rescued a feral cat that wasn’t sick. NEVER. I’d say a kitten on the street has a 20% chance of reaching adulthood, if that, and it’s usually because someone takes on feeding them.

80% of the time, they either get run over by a vehicle, get killed by a dog, or they end up looking like this before they succumb:

Like DB said, there is a difference between an animal in its natural environment, and a domesticated animal on the street. Of all the domesticated animals on the streets of Taiwan, kittens are BY FAR the ones that need to be rescued first, up there with animals in a state of emergency.

marboulette

Moreover, I would imagine a heavy rain might kill most young kittens, either by drowning or getting sick afterwards (not that that’s likely to be a problem this week :slight_smile: ). I remember walking past my neighborhood park the day after one typhoon and seeing a drowned kitten. :frowning:

Heck, my neighborhood breakfast place apparently rescued a tiny kitten a few weeks ago, placing it in a cage on the front sidewalk under a roof, with a litter box and food and water. They also wrapped plastic sheeting around the sides and top to shelter it from cold winds, but a while ago when it was really cold, wet and blustery I was certain the little guy would get sick and die. I’ve been relieved to see he survived and is now getting bigger and stronger. Relieved, in part, because my daughter and I say hello to him on the way to school every morning and I was dreading discussing with her how he had likely died due to the weather.

[quote=“the chief”]Uh, I usually stay out of this stuff since my views on pet things seem to be a little outside the norm, but this one kind of has me scratching my head a little here.

well as already mentioned by everyone else, the kitten could walk (by walk i meant that he is not that small and now can hold his weight and move more) and by eat means that he doesnt need someone to put the food on his mouth and make him eat it, but i had to use some of the ferret’s food with some milk to make it easy for him to eat it (ferret’s food has higher protein level than kitten food) he was dumb walking and maybe trying to jump on things, but he had trouble getting on the stairs…

besides that the kitten was making lots of noise and he was in some sort of a cliff after an all day rain and very cold night… so he was easy target for any other animal that could live in that mountain…

finally, as long as its not a real wild animal, there is always a better life when being rescued even if its old enough to hunt (as for a cat) or to dump trash cans to eat on the streets (for a dog)…

Edit:

OWWWW

And for Pete’s sake, when you see a helpless bundle looking at you with those round, sad eyes, what else can you do? :cry:

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]Moreover, I would imagine a heavy rain might kill most young kittens, either by drowning or getting sick afterwards (not that that’s likely to be a problem this week :slight_smile: ). I remember walking past my neighborhood park the day after one typhoon and seeing a drowned kitten. :frowning:
.[/quote]

I found my cat when it was a kitten in the middle of a typhoon. It was about a week old barely able to crawl in a street.

I don’t know if the typhoon had a effect, but whenever I take a shower it sits on the side of the bathtub and doesn’t mind the water.

OP.

Regarding your room mate. I have to say if a grown man is afraid of a cat or a kitten for that matter then he is a tw@t in my opinion.
If I was a gambling man I would say he must be a local who believes the hocus pocus some monks spout about cats being unlucky.

Because you think the kitten will kill the ferret? You must not know much about ferrets.

The OP’s trying to get rid of the kitten, not the ferret.

Oops, misunderstood.

We rescued a kitten once. She was really sweet, but one of our ferrets got it into her mind that the kitten was a threat. We had the kitten for a week, and by the last day our ferret was hunting her incessantly. The poor kitten kept trying to find places to hide. Fortunately, that afternoon we found a great home for her with a young couple.

Domestic animals belong in homes, not on the street, and the expected life span in both situations reflects that clearly. If everyone picked up a stray and found him or her a home, the world would be a much better place for all animals, both human and non.

The Chief, try to imagine if that was a few swigs of beer that someone had left in the bottom of their glass; where does that belong? What would you do if you saw that? Now transpose those feelings of wanting to do the right thing and you’ll understand why people rescue domestic animals off the street, be they helpless or not.