I need to gain weight!

You know what the silly thing is … eating an excess off 125 calories a day will gain you 12 pounds over a year …

Firstly skinny isn’t a bad thing if you are healthy. If you are young then chances are your metabolic rate is going to slow down a little as you get older and gaining weight shouldn’t be so much of a problem but more trouble than staying thin, all of those moderately sized people you are familiar with may end up envying you in the future when their bellies are sticking out over their belts.
The thyroid is not as often associated with being under weight as often as diet, sleep and bad habits are. I was one skinny weenie guy when I came to Taiwan at 180 cm and about your weight and it didn’t bother me too much until I met Taiwanese people who are always the first to point at you and point out the obvious that you are too_____(fill in blanks) and far too ____…etc. The fact that they are often terribly shallow because they don’t have the time or trust or intelligence to actually understand anything other than packaging doesn’t help self confidence in this unhealthy atmosphere called Taiwan.
If you really want to put weight on and will do anything to achieve it, then I recommend doing as I did, which was go to the gym at least five times a week for three years, eating more to take into account the far greater demand for carbs and protein that your body will have and rest as often as you can in between exercise. I increased in weight by about ten KG over three years with the most weight being gained once I slowed down in gym visits to about three per week and started alternating between super sets one day to slow repetitions another day. Nowadays I have become lazy since I am not modeling much these days. I’m not as ‘cut’ as I used to be and don’t look as big, but still have the same weight and strength. I’m about 74kg these days which is just about spot on for my height. I fond my weight still goes down very quickly as I have a fast metabolic rate, but I control it meticulously by scoffing lots of food and drinking plenty of liquids once my weight even begins to shift downwards as it goes down very swiftly once it starts.
Taiwan is very hot all of the time and even in the winter its very humid demanding more water than a drier climate I find. Water I have found is key in maintaining weight as food isn’t digested efficiently without it and so won’t repair the body after working out, secondly enough energy for your high metabolic rate is required which can be quite a bit believe me. When I work out three times a week I must eat typically about twice as much as what’s in an average set meal in an average restaurant.
Cycling also reduces my weight like dropping rocks with massive energy demand when working hard coupled with maximum hydration demands. I nearly always have a headache after a two hour 5:00am ride in the summer and all because I have lost too much water, even though I constantly sip small amounts of water when on the move and even load up the night before.
I have found that building a little tummy fat helps maintain strength, weight and water retention though and recently I haven’t minded giving up my abs for the extra comfort throughout the day and extra energy that I now enjoy. I get my tummy fat from eating fatty foods and I’m talking belly pork and rice typically, I can’t say that its healthy or not as I can’t say I feel anything bad right now and perhaps some people deal with fats better than others, but it works for me.

It’s really difficult to maintain my weight and I know exactly how you must be feeling. The most frustrating thing I found was that everyone I have ever asked about working out, gaining weight or exercising has always given me different advice and sometimes contradicting information. The one thing I can say for certain though and the most experienced people will concur is that everyone requires differing levels of exercise, different types of exercise, different diets and different times of rests, but there is no one I believe that can give you an accurate advice that will work perfectly for you. You will have to understand yourself through trial and error, but be patient and find the motivation to carry on until you get the results you want.
Who knows, you might simply have a tape worm?

1. If you are eating a proper vegetarian or vegan diet, you don’t have to worry about getting enough protein, or any other nutrient for that matter. If junk food is a major part of your plate, you could have a problem though blaming being vegetarian is barking up the wrong tree.

2. Thin isn’t the same as unhealthy. If the original poster is indeed sedentary and eating poorly, that should be the place to start, rather than worrying about what the scale says. The scale has a way of working itself out if you take care of other things. Running after an “ideal” weight before having your other balls lined up isn’t going to get you where you think you want to go.

3. If you do decide that you want to weight more or less, doing so isn’t exactly a complicated endeavor and it certainly doesn’t involve complicated workout programs or obsessive attention about the micronutrients that go in your mouth. From my experience, overweight people vastly underestimate the amount of calories that they consume while the underweight are the opposite. I suggest that a place to start would be writing down everything that you eat and drink for the next three days and taking a good, hard look at it and see if the list is what you think it should be.

Here’s a searchable nutrient database of thousands of foods
3fatchicks.com/food-calorie-counts/submit

take a 2 week break and come to my resort,i guarantee you will put weight on,guaranteed!!

I agree with the opinion that only put on weight no matter where it comes from can be unhealthy and even dangerous to your body. Since you mentioned the doubt about thyroid, I recommend you going to medical center or regional hospital to see Internal Medicine physician, who will arrange thyroid function tests and other essential physical workup tests for you and refer you to the nutritionist. If your physical condition turns out well, then congratulation, you can move on to adjust your eating habit and exercise yourself. But if, hopefully not, there’s anything should be managed first in you physical condition, doctor will help you and meanwhile you can still start you new life pattern of healthy eating with adequate exercise.

In my opinion, being skinny is nothing bad as long as you’re healthy. The metabolic homeostasis of each body is very different and complicated. Today you only see your weight and the resulted body figure, but there might be many other organ systems related to the metabolic homeostasis, which at the same time will change in functioning while you simply increase you body weight.

[quote=“Truant”]All very well, but many experts stick to the 1-egg-a-day rule, because of the yolk.

hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/fats.html

Recommendations of how many eggs to eat a day don’t make much sense if the rest of the diet is not taken into account - i.e. whether one eats meat dairy products and, if so, how much of each.

It doesn’t sound very appetising.

I eat very few eggs. Ideally I strive to be a vegan. However, I cook very nice scrambled egg (cooked on a very low flame with enough pepper to make it grey). I am good at omelets, too. Try variants with tomatoes, onions, bean sprouts etc. I recently discovered the basil omelet - made in a jiffy with fresh basil - delicious.

More on cholesterol - I have no opinion on this - just for reference:

[quote=“Juba”]

I cook very nice scrambled egg (cooked on a very low flame with enough pepper to make it grey). [/quote]

It doesn’t sound very appetizing. :wink: