I need your help

[color=darkblue]DEAR All:I am a researcher in Shin-Hsin University,I am now helping our government to do a research about “Foreigner’s Satisfaction with Taiwan English Environment”.I need your opinion to help our government to improve Taiwan’s English Environment.If you would like to help, please mail me, I will send you a questionnaire, please finish it, and mail it back to me.After this investigation, I might invite you to join our “focus group-meeting” to discuss “how to help foreigners live in Taiwan”.Please mail to: cathytan@contract.shu.edu.tw Thank you for your cooperation,and may I join your party?[/color] :smiley:

By the way…
You may call me if you have any problem.
Thank you ^^!
cathytan@contract.shu.edu.tw
(02)82193456*301

If you search these forums, you’ll find a great deal of information that’s germaine to your study. A good number of the regular posters here have already and are continuing to work closely with various focus groups in this area, both at the central government and Taipei City Hall levels. What exactly will be different about your focus group?

I tried to reply to your e-mail address, but the transmission failed.

One suggestion: Stop using the term “foreigner” and start using the term “foriegn national”.

sorry~
I need to correct my E-mail address:
cathytan@contract.shu.edu.tw
Thank you!

I am researching for central government.
The “Focus Group meeting” means a kind of research way.
Just like a panel discussion.
This meeting focus on several part but in one purpose: how to let foreign national residents and visitors like to stay, work, visit and invest in Taiwan"~
:slight_smile:

We’re going to need a little bit more information. Who specifically commissioned the research ?

We know what a Focus Group is; as Sandman said, many of us have already participated in focus groups doing research like yours. What he was asking, quite clearly, is what makes your research different?

Why?[/quote]

It just seems to me to be a word with somewhat negative connotations… or perhaps, it simply seems to create too much of an “us vs. them” divide.

I know that not everyone feels the same as I re this word.

[quote=“Cathy”]I am researching for central government.
The “Focus Group meeting” means a kind of research way.
Just like a panel discussion.
This meeting focus on several part but in one purpose: how to let foreign national residents and visitors like to stay, work, visit and invest in Taiwan"~
:slight_smile:[/quote]

One simple answer to how to get foreigners to stay, work, visit and invest in Taiwan: The government should cut back on the bureaucracy!!

[quote=“Chris”][quote=“Cathy”]
:slight_smile:[/quote][/quote]

I’m afraid that unless there are large-scale attitude changes in the way Chinese view foreigners, collecting the opinions and suggestions of foreigners will be pointless.

Vorkosigan

Or at least make the bureaucracy consistent and actually teach them the goddamned laws they’re supposed to be following.

Then we wouldn’t be in Taiwan anymore Tetsuo :smiling_imp:

Look out Isieh, I’m about to invalidate your assumptions. :wink:

personally the less english spoken in taiwan the better as far as i’m concerned! gives us bi-linguals a much bigger edge in the job market and everyone else a much bigger incentive to learn chinese… :wink:

Look out Isieh, I’m about to invalidate your assumptions. :wink:[/quote]

:homer: A case of Taiwan beer for your efforts MM, you’re gonna need a whole lot more :smiley:

Dear all:
I do not like to debate for my government,
I just want all of your opinions,
and tell central government how to help you to live in Taiwan.
And what is the most important Bi-lingual facility they should improve.
I could not control the political things, but I can suggest what you need!
Last year I suggest to have a special emergency phone line to foreignrs, and central government is now construct it.
Please help me to fill out the questionnaire to measure it, and give me your suggestion,
I can really help, and I really want help!

By the way, I can not type the central government department for research ethics.
But if you want to know it, I may mail you the questionnaire,
you may see it directly! :slight_smile:

I think we should all assist Cathy. Doesn’t cost us a thing, and maybe we can finally get someone’s attention regarding an internationally recognized standard of romanization!

Assistant Researcher
Shih-Hsin University

Top of her list of priorities!

But I requested the questionnaire all the same. It’ll be interesting to see what questions they ask. Did they try to get some opinions before deciding what to include in the questionnaire?

Will there be a section on beer? Relationships? Buxiban management? And will they make a point of seeing how Taiwan stacks up against other countries we may have lived in as foreigners?

Personally, I find the paperwork for residency a lot easier here than the USA, Australia, and even Germany. As a European national, supposedly guaranteed the right to live and work anywhere in Europe, that’s saying a lot.

Can you tell I’ve been to see the FAP today?