I really wanted a Doberman, but I adopted a stray instead

Original thread title:Looking for a Duberman puppy

I want to get a second dog so my dog has a friend to play with.

I saw the ad in Formosafieds for the doberman puppy but he has been adopted.

I did quite a bit of reading about dobermans and they sound like amazing dogs. They are very intelligent, easy to train, very devoted and gorgeous to look at.

I did read that there could be a problem with male dobermans living with other male dogs as they are very territorial. Does anyone know anything about this?

I live close to a park and I take my dog there 3 times a day and let him run so he would get enough exercise.

If anyone knows where I can adopt one PM me (I don’t want a dog from a pet store/puppy mill. I want one that needs a home)

Also if anyone has any experience with these dogs your words of wisdom would be appreciated.

Getting a friend for your pet is really thoughtful. I think it increases the quality of life of a pet to have a friend around when you’re not home.

I know little about Dobermans other than I find them to often be aggressive at first. That probably goes along with their being territorial, I assume, from what you read about them.

Personally, I’m not a fan of pure breeds, except maybe for Collies which I have a “penchant” for. Still I would prefer a Collie-looking mixed over a pure Collie for simple reasons. Pure breeds tend to live shorter lives and they get sick more often to my knowledge.

Also, I find that each breeds have different qualities and different faults. If you get a mixed breed, you also get that mix of qualities and faults that comes with each breed the dog holds in his genes. And since I believe that even the most annoying dog can be trained and become a happy friend, the faults do not matter much in the big picture. Only the qualities shine through.

Mixed breeds have broader abilities and they have stronger metabolisms. A fair trade for being cheap and often butt ugly. :wink:

I recommend getting a grown dog. Best way to know what you’re getting into, besides it’s more rewarding than you’d think when a full grown dog becomes attached to you. Much more rewarding and heart warming than raising a puppy IMO.

bobepine

Animals Taiwan has an adorable black and white female pup that was abandoned at one of their events. She is super cute. You could pretend she is a doberman. Or you could name her Dobey. She may still need a good home.

jm

I saved my dog from certain death half a year or so ago. He is a Mutt (Tu Go).

He is amazing and I love him to death.

He’s quiet, smart, cute, fun… the list goes on and on.

I want a doberman cause it’s kind of been a life long dream and now I have the stability and resources in my life to do so.

The only way that I will get a doberman puppy is if I find one that needs a home.

Patience grasshoppah

IMO there is NEVER a reason to get a dog from a pet store. There is already a huge overpopulation problem and I don’t want to contribute to it.

Come and visit my dogs. Two of them are tugous that are fairly dobermanesque. I now have 5 dogs and 2 hamsters. It is a bit of a strain and I could consider giving some of them away if I have confidence in the person taking them.

Actually I have never seen a doberman in Taiwan. Rottweilers, yes.

p.s. As I have probably mentioned before, my grandfather’s doberman “Rigo” saved his life by dragging him out onto the street when he was overcome by leaking gas.

I visit the Nehui dog pound twice a week; when I see one there I will call you.

Thanks for waiting to adopt - your patience will be rewarded. :wink:

[quote=“Stray Dog”]I visit the Nehui dog pound twice a week; when I see one there I will call you.

Thanks for waiting to adopt - your patience will be rewarded. :wink:[/quote]

Thanks for your help Stray Dog.

Do you often see Doberman puppies in the pound?

I found a really good dog who needs a home re: Acid thrown on him and he has a broken leg.

So I am not looking for a doberman anymore.

Mod’s feel free to do whatever you want with this thread.

Thanks

Good for you for taking the dog in Lo Bo To. :slight_smile: I’m keeping the thread here because I think you are a good example to follow for anyone looking at adopting a pooch. I will think of a new and more appropriate thread title though. Hope that’s ok.

Best,

Chris

Thanks bobpine.

I’ll be picking the dog up next Monday. I’ll write about how things go

I went to the park today to let my dog do his business and play.

While I was there a cute little black Lab puppy walked up to me. He is a bit dirty and has a little bit of a skin problem but he looked great otherwise.

I couldn’t leave him there so he is now sitting beside me chewing on a rawhide bone and periodically tormenting my dog.

So now I have two dogs.

Problem is now I promised to take the other sick dog but I’m not sure if I can have three dogs in this apartment. Not enough space.

If anyone wants to adopt a 2 year old cute black dog that has been through hell but is still sweet as candy then PM me.

Good for you (and the dogs)! :bravo:

yet another saint in our presence.

some peoples’ hearts are like a warm vacuum.

so wonderful to know you are out there…

yet we must know when to say “when”.

that “when” point can be blurry when we look at it with objective eyes.

oh, it’s just one more dog, this one needs a home, a pack, a family…but, will it work? can i do it? do i have room? do i have the time?

lo bo to is doing his/her (?) part, and then some. if everyone did this, think of the difference it would make. nobody can adopt every dog, but if everyone adopted one or two, what a difference it would make.

a great example.

spread your word and your ideals and things can only get better.

I’ve been thinking about that.

What if tomorrow I am at the park and another little sick, homeless puppy comes my way?

What then?

I can’t have another dog in my apartment.

Well. I’ve been paying attention to the homeless dogs in my area. I know where a lot of them stay and I bring them food when I can.

My gf and I have been thinking about what more we can do. Being a part of animalsintaiwan.org is something we have talked about possibly doing.

But i’m not sure if I can deal with it emotionally. I see skeletal dogs on the street and it breaks my heart.

Bobpine and Straydog. How do you deal with it?

[quote=“Lo Bo To”]

Bobpine and Straydog. How do you deal with it?[/quote]One day at the time mate. One day at the time with a broken heart.

[quote=“A stray”]Dear God, please send me somebody who’ll care!
I’m tired of running, I’m sick with despair.
My body is aching, it’s so racked with pain,
and dear God I pray, as I run in the rain.
That someone will love me and give me a home,
a warm cozy bed and a big juicy bone.

My last owner tied me all day in the yard
Sometimes with no water, and god that was hard.
So I chewed my leash, and God I ran away.
To rummage in garbage and live as a stray.
But now God, I’m tired and hungry and cold,
and I’m so afraid that I’ll never grow old.

They’ve chased me with sticks and hit me with stones,
while I run the streets just looking for bones!
I’m not really bad, God, please help if you can,
or I have become just a “Victim of Man!”
I’m wormy dear God and I’m ridden with fleas,
and all that I want is an Owner to please!

If you find one for me God, I’ll try to be good,
and I won’t chew their shoes, and I’ll do as I should.
I’ll love them, protect them and try to obey…
when they tell me to sit, to lie down or to stay!
I don’t think I’ll make it too long on my own,
cause I’m getting so weak and I’m so all alone.

Each night as I sleep in the bushes I cry,
cause I’m so afraid God, that I’m gonna die.
And I’ve got so much love and devotion to give,
that I should be given a new chance to Live!
So dear God, please answer my prayer,
and send me someone who will REALLY care…

That is, Dear God, if YOU’RE REALLY there![/quote]