I scared and embarrassed the utter and complete shite out of

No! I agree. But the poster did imply in many ways, that the woman should have spoken with him and has pondered with himself, and with us, why she didn’t. Most of us know why she didn’t. Do you? If you disagree that she didn’t’ please explan the the adivise you would give a daughter concerning this situation.

Enigma wrote [quote]No! I agree. But the poster did imply in many ways, that the woman should have spoken with him and has pondered with himself, and with us, why she didn’t. Most of us know why she didn’t. Do you? If you disagree that she didn’t’ please explan the the adivise you would give a daughter concerning this situation.[/quote]

OK, I will “explan the the adivise” I would give a daughter. I would tell my daughter that when she is in her late 40s, a light-hearted comment from a man in his late 20s is very unlikely to be part of a cunning seduction. :laughing:

maybe she just doesn’t know what to do.

Not all people know how to respond when a stranger makes a random comment

maybe she was afraid.
In general, I’ve found Taiwanese people more fearful in situations that seem pretty everyday to me.
Then, add the fact that most “news” on this island reinforces how crazy and violent (according to the “news”) the world is.
Consider too, you are a male stranger together with her in a confined place – and a foreignr to boot.
All in all, her reaction seems normal given the circumstances.

OK, I will “explan the the adivise” I would give a daughter. I would tell my daughter that when she is in her late 40s, a light-hearted comment from a man in his late 20s is very unlikely to be part of a cunning seduction. :laughing:[/quote]
That would depend on what the woman looks like.
I know women who have no trouble getting guys 20 years younger.

you know, when I read the story I thought she didn’t know what you were saying. She asks you to repeat it in Chinese and then asks you to say it in English. Sounds to me like she was trying to figure out what you were saying.
And by calling her cold, what were you expecting? She answered you. Twice. Once to ask what you were saying. Once to ask what it was in English. That’s an answer. What were you expecting from her?

Is this a joke?

Or was this one of those, “Dontcha hate it when…” Jay Leno high squeaky voice tirades?

The correct elevator joke is to make a fart noise with your hands and blame it on someone else.

English is not her mother tongue.
What do you want her answer?
If she answered then will you think she is “tai sui bian” again?

My god! 3 pages of discussion why a woman didn’t laugh at a guy’s joke or flirt with a perfect stranger in an elevator?!?!? (not to mention all the cultural and language issues here)

And the OP describes her as ice cold for that?

necroflux, I don’t recommend you to ever go back to the real world where you came from. With your sensitive and judgemental nature, and with the way Western women would treat you, you wouldn’t last long. Better stay here buddy, where this kind of behavior is incidental and where you can actually find enough people who will ’ frown upon it’ together with you on an ex-pat forum.

You know, you could have described this situation to us in many different ways, from different angles, titeled it differently, for one thing. But the way you did is just incredibly arrogant.

I chased a cat off of my patio roof with a super soaker.

Maybe it was looking for an elevator. I could not help it because my Chinese and my Taiwanese is very basic.

It acted…‘distant’…as it ran away.

Good morning.

How about your English? :wink:

Was this your first time in an elevator? Don’t you know that there’s elevator etiquette? Rules that must be adhered to? And one of them is that you don’t talk (or try and talk) to someone you don’t know.

I think you need to find an elevator buxiban and sign up for some lessons in basic elevator etiquette.

Now, pass the popcorn and listen to TC tell us about the pussy he was chasing.

Give the guy a break, he had an uncomfortable encounter and is not sure what he did wrong; he comes here for some answers and gets shit on for 4 pages.

People, get a grip.

[quote=“shifty”]Give the guy a break, he had an uncomfortable encounter and is not sure what he did wrong; he comes here for some answers and gets shit on for 4 pages.

People, get a grip.[/quote]

True.

I am curious though as to what kind of expectations the OP had. Seriously, I don’t even know what he means. Was it a joke? Since when are elevators patient?

Seems she gave him a “Yeah, whatevah,” and he’s all confused by that.

When I’m eating ice cream and a Taiwanese neighbor sees me and says, “You’re eating ice cream,” he gets a “whatevah” from me too.

Snot a big deal, and I wonder the OP thinks it is.

“電梯沒有耐心” - the elevator is impatient

Perhaps this confused the woman: impatience is a human quality, not a mechanical one. Though that would result in humor to an English speaker, it might just confuse a Chinese speaker, who is used to different forms of humor.

Or perhaps your phrasing was incomprehensible - I have no idea what exact Chinese words you used or what your level of Chinese is. But maybe it came out ungrammatical or with a thick accent, and she simply couldn’t understand you.

I think maybe you all think too much.
She just wanted to cover her embarrassment because she didn’t understand what the op means.

The way you explained it, she sounds a bit rude and socially backward, but hey, as foreigners in Taipei, we all know what it’s like to have somebody we don’t know taking shit we don’t understand to us in bad English. You just did that to a local in Chinese.

I am generally dismissive to people I don’t know who speak nonsense English to me in elevators because I can’t be arsed to deal with it. Taiwanese people who don’t know you are usually the same (in Taipei anyway) when you speak to them in bad Chinese. We’ve all had the ‘HAAR?’ said at 4000 decibels from time to time…

[quote=“wisher”]I think maybe you all think too much.
She just wanted to cover her embarrassment because she didn’t understand what the op means.[/quote]

Nobody on forumosa thinks too much, as a general rule. And that’s the way we like it!

I know a comment like that would be completely baffling to my Taiwanese friends for the same reason Chris said “impatience is a human quality, not a mechanical one”. Chinese logic just doesn’t work this way and they will not be able to (or not try to) understand your meaning.

Sorry if I’ve misconstrued this, and I certainly haven’t read the thread, just the title, but I think technically an “encounter” with an ice cold xiaojie could be illegal, that being at the very end of a long list of other concerns, of course.

HG.