"i see white people"

Got myself nearly scolded last night at Costco. I have this, ehem, fetish about big feet, and while searching for my pal who had gotten lost in the crowd, my eyes feasted on a pair of furriner’s white feet in comfy summer flip flops. As I was taking my time going up and up the hairy legs -we are talking about a 2 meter bloke here- … oops! I got caught! Dimmit! :blush:

Meiguanxi, there was another 2 meter similarly attired furriner at the check out… clearly flanked by his local wife. :smiley:

眼睛吃冰淇淋 :howyoudoin:

Went to Home Town buffet ( a cheap buffet at 15 bucks/ person tax included) in Concord tonight. Walked in at the same time as a tour bus load of Taiwanese tourists . Must be a cheap tour though if they were eating there. But they seemed to have enjoyed it. Looks like a pretty close knit group of individual families and/or couples. They were having a good ol’ time. And unlike Chinese tour groups, they were very quiet and didn’t call attention to themselves.

Sat near one table of them. Felt kind of like saying “hi” but then thought “nah”. I wouldn’t necessarily say hi to that group of people if we sat next to each other at a similar place in TAipei so why do so here. It would be an intrusion into their dinner conversation.

But had an opening appeared, I would’ve said hi and chatted with them.

[quote=“tommy525”]Went to Home Town buffet ( a cheap buffet at 15 bucks/ person tax included) in Concord tonight. Walked in at the same time as a tour bus load of Taiwanese tourists . Must be a cheap tour though if they were eating there. But they seemed to have enjoyed it. Looks like a pretty close knit group of individual families and/or couples. They were having a good ol’ time. And unlike Chinese tour groups, they were very quiet and didn’t call attention to themselves.

Sat near one table of them. Felt kind of like saying “hi” but then thought “nah”. I wouldn’t necessarily say hi to that group of people if we sat next to each other at a similar place in TAipei so why do so here. It would be an intrusion into their dinner conversation.

But had an opening appeared, I would’ve said hi and chatted with them.[/quote]

Are you kidding? Taiwanese people are craaaaazy about 吃到飽. I bet even nice tours stop there.

Funny my neighbor , who went with me commented that the tour bus they were using was a deluxe model (he takes a lot of local tours himself) and better then the ones the tour groups from China usually use !

Home Town Buffet is a cheap feed though. NOt bad, and they even give you a freshly done steak for dinner. But it is NOT gourmet by a LONG LONG stretch of the imagination :slight_smile:

I can stand eating there maybe once a year. Tonight the place was crammed full of kids as apparently during July kids eat for 99 cents when they come with their parents.

Normally the place is full of 300 pounder humanoids ( i shouldnt laugh as im bout 230 myself).

People go there to PIG OUT. They really should just name it THE FEED TROUGH.

Or THE FEEDING FRENZY.

I have only been here a week, but… The first 8 days I was here, I literally saw absolutely zero expats. Then today, my ninth day here, I went to the gym (World Gym in Taichung) and BAM! I see a white guy on the bench press, which i was actually going to use. So I walked by and went over to the squat rack, and BAM! White dude was doing shoulder press in the squat rack. Ok… so I went over to the dumbbells to do a light warm up for my rotators and BAM! Another white dude is walking up to the dumbbells…
Ok…
So I decide to go to the locker room and… i don’t know… wait for white guys to not be using the equipment I want.
On my way out of the locker room, BAM! I see a white woman walking in to the gym.
Skip forward to after my workout is done, and I am sitting outside drinking coffee. BAM! White woman walks by giving me the stink eye.
No big deal… I head over to Nova to see about getting my iphone unlocked so i can use it here. On my way in to Nova, BAM! White dude sitting outside a pizza place… On my way back out of Nova, BAM! I see yet another white guy walking up to the same pizza place…
I don’t know what changed, but I went from feeling like to only white dude here, to suddenly feeling like a part of a tour group, lol.

You found the white nexus of Taichung , congratulations.

[quote=“biggyweiting”]I have only been here a week, but… The first 8 days I was here, I literally saw absolutely zero expats. Then today, my ninth day here, I went to the gym (World Gym in Taichung) and BAM! I see a white guy on the bench press, which i was actually going to use. So I walked by and went over to the squat rack, and BAM! White dude was doing shoulder press in the squat rack. Ok… so I went over to the dumbbells to do a light warm up for my rotators and BAM! Another white dude is walking up to the dumbbells…
Ok…
So I decide to go to the locker room and… i don’t know… wait for white guys to not be using the equipment I want.
On my way out of the locker room, BAM! I see a white woman walking in to the gym.
Skip forward to after my workout is done, and I am sitting outside drinking coffee. BAM! White woman walks by giving me the stink eye.
No big deal… I head over to Nova to see about getting my iphone unlocked so i can use it here. On my way in to Nova, BAM! White dude sitting outside a pizza place… On my way back out of Nova, BAM! I see yet another white guy walking up to the same pizza place…
I don’t know what changed, but I went from feeling like to only white dude here, to suddenly feeling like a part of a tour group, lol.[/quote]

Sounds like the white squad was out to get you man ! :slight_smile:

[quote=“tommy525”]
Sounds like the white squad was out to get you man ! :slight_smile:[/quote]

They were watching carefully from the shadows before showing up!

are dark italians, greeks and southern/eastern europeans considered “white”? i’ve seen many who are very dark n hairy and look more like middle eastern/hispanic.

and are middle easterns considered “white” as a group? some look european like lebanese but many are dark even black. saddam hussein and osama bin laden definitely did not look white. what about turkish people? i know germans dont consider them white.

exactly, what does the word “white” mean in our increasingly multicultural and interracially mixed world? many asians especially northern asians are white/light/fair skinned themselves. why arent they called “white” if white is a color? and realy, nobody is literally “white” anyway. like the background color of this website.

[quote=“forealz”]are dark italians, greeks and southern/eastern europeans considered “white”? I’ve seen many who are very dark n hairy and look more like middle eastern/hispanic.

and are middle easterns considered “white” as a group? some look european like lebanese but many are dark even black. saddam hussein and osama bin laden definitely did not look white. what about turkish people? I know germans dont consider them white.

exactly, what does the word “white” mean in our increasingly multicultural and interracially mixed world? many asians especially northern asians are white/light/fair skinned themselves. why arent they called “white” if white is a color? and realy, nobody is literally “white” anyway. like the background color of this website.[/quote]
Difficult to determine what different Cultures mean by “white”. I think skin colour is so varied. I hope one day,that the World won’t even notice a difference :ponder:
Nice pic of a “White” person att.

Yup, it is VERY subjective, USUALLY Caucasians call themselves whites, Japanese call non-japanese Gaijin, latin people call all asian’s chinese, so many labels depending on color, nationality, accent, and so on…

Anglo-Scottish is my race. British is my nationality. Anything else makes me bristle. I’m neither white nor Russian nor western.

[quote=“shiadoa”][quote=“forealz”]are dark italians, greeks and southern/eastern europeans considered “white”? I’ve seen many who are very dark n hairy and look more like middle eastern/hispanic.

and are middle easterns considered “white” as a group? some look european like lebanese but many are dark even black. saddam hussein and osama bin laden definitely did not look white. what about turkish people? I know germans dont consider them white.

exactly, what does the word “white” mean in our increasingly multicultural and interracially mixed world? many asians especially northern asians are white/light/fair skinned themselves. why arent they called “white” if white is a color? and realy, nobody is literally “white” anyway. like the background color of this website.[/quote]
Difficult to determine what different Cultures mean by “white”. I think skin colour is so varied. I hope one day,that the World won’t even notice a difference :ponder:
[/quote]

Don’t laugh, this is the geeky kid that grows up making 500,000 dollars a year, is probably YOUR BOSS or is the next Internet Godzillionaire.

well the thing with “caucasians” is that they can also include dark skinned people like indians, pakistanis, middle easterners, since racially they are caucasian. i think calling people of european descent “anglo” might be a more accurate term?

[quote=“shiadoa”][quote=“forealz”]
[/quote][/quote]

no, that’s a ginger!!

many americans have called the kardashians white. like they call them “white trash”. but they DEFINITELY do not look white to me. they look very ethnic, like latin or middle eastern. if they are white, then asians should be called white since they have the same complexion and hair color as most asians.

You mean ‘aryan’, not ‘Caucasian’.

No, it wouldn’t. Calling people of English descent ‘Anglo’ would be more accurate.

but i thought aryan meant blonde/blue eyed/fair skinned northern europeans??

Well… nobody knows what color the kardashians are anymore… they come from a culture of fake tan’s and a whole bunch of nonsensical stuff IGAF about… but yeah, they definitely have a latin/exotic look to them… I wouldn’t call them white either.
IMO white is white, i have indeed called asian’s white too (some korean’s are too obsessed with their skin color) and I also have white/blonde mexican friends… so you brought up an interesting topic here.

well there are many europeans who settled in mexico over its history as well as throughout latin/south america. so makes sense there are blonde mexicans there.