I Think I'm Witnessing Abuse At My School

Yes I agree, I would only bring it up in private with him, I just know myself enough that’s there’s no garunteed I won’t go off, especially, especially if it gets worse and I witness it first hand. Plus it’s in my best interest as to not make everyday going to work super uncomfortable.

or do it to people who are paying you to teach the kid English.

The rule is: don’t hit your kid hard enough to leave a mark.
Never hit someone else’s kid…ever.

Seems like you’re already there.

Oh yeah, of course not all older people are like this, I guess it’s just stranger to me because he is young.

At school if the teachers got angry at you they would send you to the Welsh rugby coach. That meant a bloody good hiding. Especially if Ms Smith the English teacher sent you there who he had a crush on :rofl:

Yes and no. If my manager scared me then it would be horrible but he doesn’t. I’m more uncomfortable in figuring out how I’m gonna handle this situation effectively. And not knowing what to expect next…

Sounds like a bully. You’d need strong evidence to report him or you could get imprisoned for public shaming him. Tread very carefully. :+1:

If he’s not actually leaving any marks on the kids and is strictly verbally terrorizing them it’s doubly important that you document the abusive behavior in a detailed manner, otherwise it’s going to be very hard to produce any evidence.

3 Likes

I understand there is a law about slandering and libel, but public shaming? Or are you referring to public insult?

Do you know where that is?

1 Like

Don’t count on it. I’ve had a similar situation where the abuse was clear, though it was at home. The school didn’t want to know. It was run by Westerners. This is my advice from that situation. Don’t confront anyone, don’t talk to the kids, don’t let the manager know you care. Taiwan has a help line for this, 113 (you may need to use a landline or payphone, years ago it didn’t work with a cell phone). Just collect information and report it. Get the boss’s name, at least family name. Get the Chinese names of as many kids as are involved. They’ve probably got backpacks with their school books in them, take pictures. Get their school names. They probably have numbers on their shirts at least some days. You can try to make recordings, but children crying isn’t very incriminating unless you get one in obvious pain. Don’t let any kids see you do anything. They probably won’t tell the boss, but you never know.
The 113 people speak English, no matter when you call. They will collect the information from you. If you have any recordings or pictures, request their email
They won’t say where the tip came from, and they won’t follow up with you.
If the boss accuses you, you know nothing. Maybe a kid told a parent or teacher reported to the police. You can leave your name if you want. It might give you protection in case the boss claims you’re the abuser.

Several years ago, there was another school where the boss was accused of abusing several children. One of the worst cases pressed charged.

https://news.cts.com.tw/cts/society/201411/201411141539179.html
If I remember, some of the staff reported the abuse and other illegalities to a Taipei City councilor.

Then case went on for years, I don’t know if it’s over yet.
https://www.chinatimes.com/newspapers/20170204000442-260106

It’s good to report things like this and let the social workers investigate. I don’t know how much my report helped, but I didn’t see the student come to school with bruises anymore and I didn’t hear about abuse from the others.
Sometimes children just wail like they’re in pain because the adults in charge don’t know how to deal with them and that’s how the kids have learned to respond. It can especially happen in children with mental or developmental issues. And sometimes students get emotional and may cry when they’re spoken to harshly. It doesn’t mean they’ve been emotionally abused. I’ve had students shed a tear when they’ve been sharply criticized.
Social workers will know what questions to ask to find out what’s really happening. It’s the “family member” who I would be the most worried about. It might be more difficult to get his information since he’s not your student, but if you can at least get his school name and uniform number they can locate him.

Don’t do that. It might feel good, but it won’t do any good. It might just make the abuse quieter. You have little power in this situation. You can be fired. The boss can make it hard for you to get another job. Just report and let the people with power do their job. If nothing changes, gather more information and follow up. The most direct I’d be is to record yourself having a conversation with the boss about beating on his family member.

Good luck and thanks for doing the right thing.

8 Likes

Of course you are right.

That is exactly what I told a peer a few moths backs.

2 Likes

It would be easy to accidentally leave your phone in a room with the camera app accidentally left recording. It would also be easy to accidentally forward any actionable videos to a third party.

Accidentally speaking, of course. :slight_smile:

“Oh! Sorry! Was that my drone following you around recording your activity? Gosh I don’t know how that happened!”. :laughing:

But seriously, even if you could record anything, knowing what to do with it is just as important.

3 Likes

Agreed. You’d have be be very careful about accidentally doing that.

Right. Cos you’re going to be dealing with The Police.

2 Likes

I strongly agree.
Stick with Stuart.

Guy

1 Like

Nothing like explaining a joke :roll:

2 Likes

With concrete and undeniable evidence this case should be reported to the relevant authorities of the Taiwan government.