I used to like dogs, but now

after living in my neighbourhood, I can’t stand the fuckers. I guess I should explain; I live on a mountain (dunno which one, but it’s pretty close to Yangmingshan Nat’l Park) that is right smack-dab on the border with Taipei and Xizhi (I live on the Xizhi side). Most of my neighbours have dogs and most of these people are pretty cool (I define pretty cool as not letting their dogs run wild and free). However, there is a significant minority of people who let their dogs run wild and free and thus are complete fucking assholes. These dogs shit in the garage, tear up the garbage, and run around at night barking. My roomies have tried to reason with the offending owners, but the people in question are arrogant morons and go on the defensive immediately. :fume:

Since I’m leaving at the end of October, I guess I’m not asking for advice so much as just an opportunity to bitch.

Thanks

waigui

Catch them and sell them to the market. People enjoy eating dog meat here.

Then you can fly back to wherever with no regrets. You’ve taken care of all your business.

:smiling_imp:

There are no good dogs or bad dogs…Only our thinking makes them one or the other.

You should be pissed at the owners only. They are bad.

It would take a lot to totally sour me on this place; maybe an invasion from the mainland or something. And yes, my boundless rage should be directed against the owners.

Thanks for listening to my spiel

waigui

I’m just leaving the house I’m in now and moving elsewhere in the city. I should remember to keep all the info in one post, I suppose. :blush:

Yellow wrote:

He’s kidding. Used to be the case (one shop used to be right where the MRT portal is on the corner of Keelung and Chunghsiao roads), but people don’t eat dogs here anymore, unless its a very isolated thing.

Sadly, the problem is here in the city too. We’ve got packs that roam around the streets and set off everybody elses dogs barking all night! The locals have trained them all to shit on the footpath, not the gutter, so that my walk to school is more like the hop step and jump. Some of these dogs also seem to be fed large quantities of bean bag stuffing, carrot and buffalo hide given the looks of their shit.

I dunno, I can’t help but admire and envy anyone who’ll sht, pss, fight or screw anywhere they please.

[quote=“pjdrib”]The locals have trained them all to shit on the footpath, not the gutter[/quote]Back when there were many packs of strays and few people kept dogs, the crap was anywhere and everywhere. Now that almost all dogs are in human captivity, the crap is always on the sidewalk. This tells you a lot more about humans than it does about dogs.
One of the reasons I bought the apartment I have is the sidewalk around the school next door. Sidewalks are very rare in Tai\chung. We used to be able to use it for jogging, but now it’s so covered in poop the jog has become more like a fast game of hopscotch… Meanwhile, the surrounding building are occupied by more and more armpit-ornament owners who leave their little darlings alone for 20 hours a day to whine and whimper for the listening pleasure of the neighborhood. I hope they all die of heartworms, scabies or some other horrible disease (the owners that is, not the dogs).

There is a pooper scooper law in Taiwan. Take photos of the offending owners and their dogs and send them to the police station with the name, address, etc. of the owners. With enough evidence, the police might take action. If not, take the photos to the press, like the Apple daily.

I’d rather step in shit then get close to the Apple daily.

We have a ‘dog club’ at Lotus Hill. Go out around 11ish any night and there will be a congregation of dog-owners watching their little darlings scrapping. They’re not all perfectly trained, but mostly they’re clean, well-cared for, healthy, happy, and pretty well-behaved.

You don’t like how the dogs behave where you live? Move to some place where the people are more civilised, and the dogs will be like dogs are supposed to be.

There’s still more shit than I think there should be, but it’s 99% on the grass. My dog never needed to be trained to shit on the grass, and I think most dogs will get off the pavement given the chance. Again, the problem is the owners.

I used to like dogs too, but they’re too much trouble. Hence the reason you see so many stray dogs here. Some ignorant xiaojie with a nasal, whiny voice that makes you want to smack her upside the head thinks a puppy she sees at the nightmarket is sooooo “kawaii,” and she begs her boyfriend to buy it for her. After the charm wears off and she realizes that keeping a dog is a lot of work, they get tossed out into the streets. Talk about gormless …

Anyway, I’ve found that cats are much better, and soooo much easier to care for. But then again, there are a lot of stray cats here too … Just remember, it’s not the dog’s fault … it’s the ignorant owners who should be beaten down with an aluminum baseball bat (or if they have a car, poor sugar in the gas tank). :smiling_imp:

“He cannot be a gentleman which loveth not a dog.”

• John Northbrooke

[quote=“vwu”]There is a pooper scooper law in Taiwan. Take photos of the offending owners and their dogs and send them to the police station with the name, address, etc. of the owners. With enough evidence, the police might take action. If not, take the photos to the press, like the Apple daily.[/quote]You haven’t been here very long have you?

Take someone’s photo when they’re doing something they know they shouldn’t = likely violent reaction.
Ask someone their name and address after taking their photo = ditto
Try to follow them and gain entry to their apartment building = ditto
Try to find out their details from security at their apartment building = ditto from said security person and a 911 to have you detained.

There are also laws about many many other things in Taiwan, and 99% of those are ignored as well. About one in ten dog owners in my neighborhood carries a plastic bag for poop, the rest cannot be bothered. The school in question now sends it’s kids out twice a week to clean the sidewalk around the school. :noway:

Tempo Gain pretty much hits the nail on the head viz Apple Daily, though I do have a friend in the travel & leisure section.

I used to like dogs but now Im more into quality than quantity! :smiley:

Packs of stray dogs are a real problem in some areas of Taiwan.
The local council in Chi-Chi (Nantou county) has had to put up signs in certain places (parks and tourist spots) warning people that vicious dogs roam the area. Kind of scary if you live there and feel you can’t even go out for an evening stroll.

You could take another route. For neighborhood problems, you could talk to your neighborhood 里長 (li zhang - elected official in the li where you live). He/she should have an office in the area. It’s his/her job to mediate and settle neighborhood problems.

[quote=“vwu”]You could take another route. For neighborhood problems, you could talk to your neighborhood 里長 (li zhang - elected official in the li where you live). He/she should have an office in the area. It’s his/her job to mediate and settle neighborhood problems.[/quote]Been there, done that. Guy is as useless as tits on a bull.

[quote=“hsiadogah”]
Tempo Gain pretty much hits the nail on the head viz Apple Daily, though I do have a friend in the travel & leisure section.[/quote]

that seems innocuous enough :slight_smile: