I want to be an English teacher, I'm an ABC

I’m sure this topic has been beaten to death on this forum, but I just couldnt help myself in posting.

I’m 20 years old by the time I get to Taiwan
I will be graduating with my associate’s degree in Business by February of next year.
I’m in the process of getting my TEFL cert.
born, raised, and living in the United States.
I have 2 years experience tutoring Taiwanese/Chinese FOBs (what’s a better way of putting this on the resume?)
I’m ABC, none of this fake abc/cbc shi4
oh and i playa mean saxophone (professionally)

I really want to get a job b4 i head out there; some advice on getting a job on the telephone and internet.

2 burning questions

1. how common are the psycho xiaojie I’ve been hearing about? had a run in with a few here
  2. Will a 20 year old from LA be happy with the nightlife in Taipei? (take into account i cud only visit 5 in LA, 12 if you count the ones where i’m likely to get mugged and rapped)
  3. What’s up with all the fake abc/cbc’s?

thank you guys, i’ve had a real pleasure reading your forums.

You’ll probably have fun in Taipei, Ima. Everyone knows Taipei has more than 5 nightlives.

By the way, you should have said “yo quiero ser ‘engrish teacha.’”

damnit. I guess 2 years of high school Spanish doesn’t help much.

How hard do you guys I will have to look for a job in cyberspace (with my qualifications)? and when should I start applying? Is my AA degree really going to hurt me in the job hunt, as compared to a BA?

oh, I dont speak no chinese

Your AA won’t be a problem, unless of course you want to get a LEGAL job…which is not possible without a BA or BS or status as a Taiwanese national.

AA with an ESL cert qualifies one to teach as well. OP states he has TEFL.

Good luck in your job search.

But I don’t think the experience requirement is waived, is it? And he won’t have any at 20 fresh out of school.

An AA plus TEFL/TESOL is perfectly acceptable to get a legal job.

:ponder: I thought he wanted a teaching job. If so, no experience is required.

LOL, I’m a fake ABC trying to find a teaching job in Taiwan. Are there a lot of us out there trying to do the same thing?

It’s been tough for me to get feedback from the recruiters/schools. I’ve been applying to almost every decent looking ad I see since May, and so far I’ve only heard back from two places. And it sucks that I don’t have the funds to fly there and job-hunt in person.

Based on the standard of English in his posts the OP should have no trouble getting a job teaching impressionable Children.

I hope that the curriculum doesn’t cover rape, the word think, or correct usage of the word any. :roflmao:

Why was the title of the thread changed? It was funny. Are the mods trying to drain all life, wit and humor from the site?

ABCs can get teaching jobs in Taiwan, but it is harder than it would be for a white person. The big chain schools (Kojen, for example) are less likely to care. At the Kojen branch I worked at there were many ABCs and CBCs, including some fake ones.

There are lots of fake ABCs and CBCs because they are looking for an edge in the job market. The Taiwanese tend to not know the difference. Even when you explain the difference, they tend to not understand why it is an issue.

[quote=“Edgar Allen”]Based on the standard of English in his posts the OP should have no trouble getting a job teaching impressionable Children.

I hope that the curriculum doesn’t cover rape, the word think, or correct usage of the word any. :roflmao:[/quote]

wha chu talkin buot mista poe. i knoes my egnlish. a waznt talkin bout rape i was talkin bou rapp.

Well, I guess I should expect my English to be put on blast on a ‘teach english’ forum.
Well, I guess I should expect my English to be scrutinized on a “teach English” forum.