I want to get published!

can anyone advise me on the best way to go about getting published here? i wrote a novella a while back, but i’m finding it hard to get in contact with approachable publishers who are willing to translate/publish my work into chinese. my work is violent and sexual in parts. i would love it to be read by the locals, but would accept it getting published into english.
thanks a lot
nick

Can you give us a few paragraphs to read?
Then we’ll let you know if we think you have
a chance of getting it published or not. :wink:

I think this would be a major plus in the entertainment industry, if anything. Ever seen the comics kids read here? Maybe you should a few scenes of alien tentacle schoolgirl rape to spice things up.

Frankly, dolph I really don’t fancy your chances. Imagine you are a publisher here. You get a manuscript in English. You have no idea if it’s any good or not. Even if you can be bothered to find a native speaking editor (who knows something about fiction) to review it you then have to spend money getting it translated.

The odds are stacked against you. You would have more chance of success submitting to publishers in western countries.

Don’t let me put you off trying though! Send your manuscript to Bookman Books and Crane Publishing but make sure you include an amazing cover letter so the editor doesn’t just look at it for about 30 seconds and then just say ‘naaaaah’!

I suggest that you first take it to a local translation service and get it translated into Chinese.

As a second choice, you can translate it yourself with the assistance of your Chinese friends. (I don’t guess it will be an easy task!! )

A translation will cost a lot for an entire novel. Also, you won’t know if you’re getting a good translation or not.
Even when you’ve got a translation done, there’s no guarantee you’ll be able to find a publisher who’d be willing to take you on.
Like I said, it’s going to be a tough sell. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

If you attempt to translate it with the help of your Chinese friends and associates, at least you will have the satisfaction of knowing that your Chinese is improving!

If you want to get someone to translate it, try some of the MA programs in Translation (Shita, Fujen). The students in the translation group (not the interpreting students) have the option of doing a very long translation for their MA thesis project. Probably someone would jump at the chance to translate something vaguely interesting for a change!! :laughing:

But would you end up with a “student-level” translation?

Um…there’s a considerable difference between some student in the English department of a university and the students finishing up their Master’s degree work in Translation at Fujen or Shita. AND, I’m only talking about having them work INTO their native language (Chinese). Their work would be quite professional – especially since someone would be critiquing it quite closely as it would be part of their thesis work. I wouldn’t recommend their work into English as being of professional calibre, but into Chinese they’re good.

What would they charge for this? I have many short stories that I’d like to get translated and try to publish here (more for fun than anything). Any contact Nos?