I want to Immigrate to Canada, Australia, or Europe

:ohreally:

You came over in 1949 after the civil war? Or was there another war I wasn’t aware of since?
Surely you meant the naff conscription where you get to sit in the shade when it’s too hot outside, right?
And as to fighting other people’s wars, you’d better hope the Jerries don’t get belligerent again or you’ll be press ganged into fighting for Mother England. That’ll be the irony of the century.
:roflmao: :roflmao:

Sounds like Taiwan. The test here is equally ridiculous and most Taiwanese wouldn’t know half the answers either. Then again, at least you didn’t have to renounce your original (Taiwanese?) citizenship to get into Oz…

:ohreally: I’m with Whitetiger on this one…

Good to know. If you’re a 16 year old or Jimi Hendrix.

Same in SA, but it wasn’t incentive enough to stay…

I’ll agree with the general “feeling” of your post, though. Aussie is awesome. But for waaaaaay more (other) reasons than cheapo guitars and left side driving. I’m thinking incredible beaches, proper sports, amazing people etc etc.

Complete bullshit… who says you cant leave the country. Fooking MYTH BUSTED you are.

In the previous 5 years preceeding a citizenship application you must have lived in Australia as a resident for a period of 24 months. It does not need to be continuous.

In the previous 2 years preceeding application you must have a total of 12 months residence in Australia, again not continuous.

God some people write some shite without even bothering to check first.

Complete bullshit… who says you cant leave the country. Fooking MYTH BUSTED you are.

In the previous 5 years preceeding a citizenship application you must have lived in Australia as a resident for a period of 24 months. It does not need to be continuous.

In the previous 2 years preceeding application you must have a total of 12 months residence in Australia, again not continuous.

God some people write some shite without even bothering to check first.[/quote]
You missed something. Apparently Aus has new police, too. :idunno:

btw, Why was my name in the quote?

Edit:

Sounds like Taiwan. The test here is equally ridiculous and most Taiwanese wouldn’t know half the answers either. Then again, at least you didn’t have to renounce your original (Taiwanese?) citizenship to get into Oz…[/quote]
I’m referring to the test, not duration of stay prior to application.

[quote=“the chief”]In fact, as I was just discussing with an Aussie mate last week, there’s probably (as there is in AUS and NZ) a bit of under-the-table preference for Commonwealth Cousins, so you wouldn’t necessarily be top of the A list.

You might also be restricted as to which part you could move to for the first 3 years or so.[/quote]

More horsehit… you get more points if you speak an Asian Language… so that hardly includes commonwealth cousins… unless you you looking at Malaysians, Indians, Singaporeans… Surely not what you friend had in mine eh?

There are no under the table preferences for commonwealth cousins as you call them. I rejected many of them for immigration to Australia when I was in Brunei…

So you’re the one! :bluemad:

So someone told you X country is better than America and now you want to move? If you want to immigrate for the experience or you visited X country and fell in love with a certain city that is cool, but immigrating just because you believe misconceptions of America is stupid in my opinion. I’m American and I’m not religious, in fact the city I grew up in not many people I knew were, and if they were they weren’t hurting anyone, just minding their own business. Life is life no matter where you are. If you are in a first world country you’ll have everything you need to survive and live comfortably. Whether it be Canada, France, Germany, USA, Australia whatever. I’ve never been to Australia so I can’t say much about it. I’ve traveled extensively in western Europe, and personally if I had to live in Europe it’d be Munich or Barcelona. Everywhere else is crap. Small town Europe is just as bad as small town America or Canada. Boring as can be.

USA and Canada, well you can’t compare living in those 2 countries, the way of life and living is so similar. Canadians will try to tell you its different, but seriously, when I was traveling up there they watched all the same TV shows, movies, played the same video games, and spoke English just like us. But if you want to talk about how much America sucks at the local Starbucks then go home to watch Lost and Google your favorite episode of South Park and the Daily Show on Windows 7 Beta (Canadian Culture eh?) all while knowing you have health care, then go ahead. Its not much different, Canadians have troops in Afghanistan just like the USA and its not the place you think it is. Just warning you now, had a friend who did the same only to find out his standard of living was much better in the USA as he was making 60k USD a year with benefits, in Canada he was getting 45k USD with high taxes and a long wait to citizenship, he ended up moving to San Fran and is happier than ever.

What it really comes down to is what kind of lifestyle you want? Each city has its unique characteristics, but its still a city, and life goes on just like everywhere else. If you think you’re gonna find peace by moving to another country that has a murder rate of 2.5 (Canada) rather than 5.5 (America) you are mistaken. You are not coming from a third world country, you’re not coming from South Africa (39 murder rate) or Russia (17 murder rate). By the Way these murder rates are people murdered out of 100,000. In Canada about 2.5 people are murdered out of every 100,000 and in the USA 5.5 out of every 100,000.

With all that said I say if you’re gonna go anywhere go to Canada. Keep US citizenship and travel back and forth between the two places. Life won’t be much different and you’ll have the false sense of being well off since you’re not in the USA :unamused: .

So you’re the one! :bluemad:[/quote]

Not my fault many are not qualified to immigrate to Australia.

So you’re the one! :bluemad:[/quote]

Not my fault many are not qualified to immigrate to Australia.[/quote]
This is true for most people everywhere, i.e. they’re simply not qualified to immigrate to “better” countries. Except of course for people who just border hop and do so illegally along with others who fall into a certain “sympathetic” category, even though they have absolutely blue f*** all to offer the country they are moving to and will be a much greater drain on resources than most cases that fail to make the “grade” by a very thin margin (and who despite appearances will probably have something to offer)…

If you emigrate to Australia, they’ll ask you if you have a criminal record.
The correct response is: “Is that still a requirement?”

Canada: they could have had French culture, American know-how, and British government, but ended up with
American Culture, British know-how, and French government!

On a more serious note, all I hear about Sith Africa is that they have unbelievably high numbers for AIDS and for rape.

USA leads the world in guns and imprisoning its own citizens.

OP, I think I know a little of how you feel.

America IS a fantastic country. It’s got so much beautiful scenery, vast wilderness, great cities, great food, culture and entertainment, has been the birthplace of so much music, technology, ideas and innovation, etc.

But, it’s definitely come down a notch or two in recent years, with the increased conservatism, global interventionism, financial crisis, unemployment, foreclosures, layoffs, worsening educational system, etc. At least we’re finally rid of Bush, but still, it seems things aren’t what they once were.

Like you, I wondered a few years ago what it might be like to move to Canada. And like you and most other Americans I had/have very little idea what Canada is like, so I started this thread.

But, it would be way too much trouble researching the matter further, including on site investigation of potential relocation spots, given that I live on the opposite side of the world and only get a tiny vacation each year that I don’t want to squander traipsing around the vast nation of Canada.

Besides, the longer one stays in Taiwan, the more one gets sucked in here. So now I no longer wonder about living in Canada, as it appears I may become a lifer on this rock instead.

Have you considered Taiwan?

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]OP, I think I know a little of how you feel.

America IS a fantastic country. It’s got so much beautiful scenery, vast wilderness, great cities, great food, culture and entertainment, has been the birthplace of so much music, technology, ideas and innovation, etc.

But, it’s definitely come down a notch or two in recent years, with the increased conservatism, global interventionism, financial crisis, unemployment, foreclosures, layoffs, worsening educational system, etc. At least we’re finally rid of Bush, but still, it seems things aren’t what they once were.

Like you, I wondered a few years ago what it might be like to move to Canada. And like you and most other Americans I had/have very little idea what Canada is like, so I started this thread.
[forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … da#p600497](Can someone please explain Canada for me?

But, it would be way too much trouble researching the matter further, including on site investigation of potential relocation spots, given that I live on the opposite side of the world and only get a tiny vacation each year that I don’t want to squander traipsing around the vast nation of Canada.

Besides, the longer one stays in Taiwan, the more one gets sucked in here. So now I no longer wonder about living in Canada, as it appears I may become a lifer on this rock instead.

[color=#FF0000]Have you considered Taiwan?[/color][/quote]
:roflmao: Good one! It was only a matter of time! I was wondering when someone would come up with that one! :bravo:
And it’s not such a bad idea either. You can stay a while, stay permanently, or use the opportunity to work, travel and perhaps move onto somewhere else later on.

Many thanks to all the people who have replied.

Remember, try to keep it intellectual (those who litter their sentences with cuss words and personal attacks have lost control of their emotions and are very obnoxious like little kids, insecure in their own lack of intelligence and therefore resorting to shouting matches).

Attack what people say, not the person. Also, attack constructively.

Ad Hominem is the phrase for attacking the person, which is a fallacy of logic.

I’m super lazy, and also kinda busy so it will take some time for me to look into these suggestions.

Again, a big thanks to those who were CONSTRUCTIVE in some positive or even questioning or criticizing way.

ps

Some people seemed to hint that I was some whiny baby, or the grass is always greener, or European towns are “BORING” or the murder rates are this and that, or some reaction mechanism. Amerrrika is number 1!!! And that don’t change just because it does. I mean, just because it do!!

But I embrace long paid vacations, health care, human rights, retirement, personal freedoms, privacy, organic foods, nude beaches and so on.

Nobody could say that america stands for any of these things. Taiwan is somewhat better (except the workaholism).

I know, I know. They have high taxes, there are fat women at the beaches, and stupid skinny hairy dudes, they talk with accents, they don’t have big pick up trucks, they’re boring, they’re tree hugging environmentally aware freaks, they don’t bend over to the corporations, blah blah blah.

America is arguably the worst country in the world, given that it has the most power, resources, money, yet the worst healthcare, the highest percent in prison and jail, no guaranteed vacations, no retirement and so on and so on. One could expect this from some god awful, dirt poor, backwards, nightmare place, but not the most powerful country on earth.

Sorry, I went off on a tangent. Looks like I’ve got some issues myself.

Thanks again!

I’m right and you’re wrong.
I’m good and you’re bad.
Stick your head in doo doo!

Seriously, I think you’d like Cape Town, South Africa. Perhaps one of the outlying communities along the Cape coast. My sister, her husband and three kids live in Paarl and she says it’s very safe where they are.
Personally, despite what statistics may have you believe, I lived in South Africa for 28 years. The last six in Pretoria and the three before that in Gordon’s Bay and Simon’s Town (both on False Bay in the Cape) and I never experienced any crime.
Some places are great and rival (or even better) the quality of life in any country anywhere. Then again, some places rival (or exceed) the poorest places in some real crap countries.

That depends on what you do. I’ve never had so much free time in my life. Other than college.

[quote=“Toe Tag”]Canada: they could have had French culture, American know-how, and British government, but ended up with
American Culture, British know-how, and French government![/quote]
An aside unrelated to the main topic: Parliamentary democracy and constitutional monarchy are French? The land of Bacon, Newton, Darwin and Hawking doesn’t have know-how? The birthplace of the spinning jenny and the steam engine and the modern police and disk brakes and the internal combustion engine and the freakin’ pencil doesn’t know from know-how?

One question, Mr. Tag of Toe: do you ever not talk completely out of your arse? Have you ever, on these boards, said anything that wasn’t risible even once?

Just curious.

Didn’t you say keep it intellectual and don’t lose control of your temper? Sounds like you lost control of your temper with your rant about America? Where did you grow up in America I’m curious as to why you are so bitter?

Every country has its problems. It just depends which problems you’re willing to live with…

Valor wrote

I did say to keep it intellectual and to not lose control of your temper.

I wrote things like:

[quote]But I embrace long paid vacations, health care, human rights, retirement, personal freedoms, privacy, organic foods, nude beaches and so on.

Nobody could say that America stands for any of these things. Taiwan is somewhat better (except the workaholism).

I know, I know. They have high taxes, there are fat women at the beaches, and stupid skinny hairy dudes, they talk with accents, they don’t have big pick up trucks, they’re boring, they’re tree hugging environmentally aware freaks, they don’t bend over to the corporations, blah blah blah.

America is arguably the worst country in the world, given that it has the most power, resources, money, yet the worst healthcare, the highest percent in prison and jail, no guaranteed vacations, no retirement and so on and so on. One could expect this from some god awful, dirt poor, backwards, nightmare place, but not the most powerful country on earth.[/quote]

That does sound like a rant, and it was pretty passionate. Was it enough? Was what I wrote strong enough? Or could I have gone on and on for hours about the corporate greed, the ‘every man for himself’ mentality that america is setting as a demonic precedent?

It may have sounded like I lost control, maybe I did. Maybe I’m wrong. Maybe if people don’t lost control their personal freedoms will slowly erode away as they have for the past 40 years in america.

I’m not trying to find people to fight with, I’m trying to unify people. If you think things are fine, good, with no areas that need improvement, then let me ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________.

One doesn’t even need to grow up in america to have an intense disgust for the evils brewing over there. One only needs to have an understanding of what is happening over there. Yes, evil is brewing everywhere, but it’s a question of how much, and in what areas.

I am bitter, I grew up in a dozen states in america. Count yourself lucky if you’re not bitter, you don’t have the scars that are becoming ever more common in a country that is discarding its civil liberties and imprisoning more people than any other nation on earth.

And you honestly believe this is limited to America. Let me guess. You’re 17-and-three-quarters. :roflmao:

Sorry, I didn’t write clearly in the last post.

I was generally thinking that we should try to write with some restraint towards other people. When I insulted america, I was sort of thinking that I wasn’t insulting a person directly in the thread so that was ok. I was trying to galvanize people into action in a positive direction, not a negative one, though my words were negative.

I was and am trying to unify people.

I didn’t do it effectively at all, and wrote in a very drunken non focused way.

I realize that some people don’t want to do positive things.

Sandman wrote

[quote]Quote:
the corporate greed, the ‘every man for himself’ mentality that America is setting as a demonic precedent?

And you honestly believe this is limited to America. Let me guess. You’re 17-and-three-quarters.[/quote]

Oh my god, sandman.

I wrote :

I get the feeling that you’re one of those who likes to fuck with people, to try and push 'em off-guard, to try and push 'em down and in some sick way elevate yourself. I might be wrong, but that’s the feeling I get.

I’m not trying to unify you into positive action. That’d be a lost cause.

Either way, I’ll help you out.

America is the only bad place!!! (Now you can feel that you’re much smarter than me.)
or,
Oh! He’s right! Damn I’m so stupid! I feel horrible! (Now you can feel better, because you made me feel worse.)

I don’t know what 17 and 3/4s means.

That sounds really bad, but if it seems that someone is not playing by the rules, then why should I?

Let’s not get distracted by BS, let’s try to be positive and constructive in many ways, not just pushing for health care, boycotting countries altogether and so on.

sandman,

After you learn how to read, and then how to think, you can come back to the posts. Then you can read, but not post.