I was arrested and need advice

I thought that might be the consensus here.

7 Likes

Yup. But I’m sure a similar situation might come up for someone else living here. Drink can be really bad for some people, and make them do things they just wouldn’t normally do…If they search and find this post would be best of all the information is real and correct. As small of a crime this is. Its still a crime and a worry for anyone.

Wow, am I, like, the only one who didn’t push the lawyer angle? Maybe @Finley’s theory about me was wrong after all! :smile:

1 Like

My reply was more geared towards ignoring anecdotal advice given by bored strangers that does nothing but heighten anxiety for the recipient

3 Likes

I didn’t either. I was chicken. I was afraid that whatever I told him might turn out to be wrong.

By the way, earlier I wrote:

Oops.

:astonished:

That’ll get you 15 days in Temp! (But we’ll give you a suspended sentence… this time.)

2 Likes

Please don’t ban me from the forum.

Relax, Tand! Non-native English speakers are treated leniently. :slight_smile: :rainbow:

1 Like

It would definitely be great if you could post the result of the whole process. I imagine your post to go like this:

Lawyer told me XYZ
I did that and paid a fine
I married a local lady and a kid is on the way.

Just kidding!

3 Likes

I don’t see how having a lawyer seem to be good, but as you already hired one this discussion is pointless now.

The facts are out and you apologized multiple times and it seems the affected police officer even accepted your apology.
In Taiwan culture, bring remorseful and apologizing is / seems to be (for some reason beyond my understanding) very important.
So is there any written documentation about your apology and even more important, the police officer accepting your apology ?

Anyway, what is happening now is just the follow up paperwork, which of course does make you very worried.

Botton line is your “crime” was not the brightest idea to do, but having proof of your alcohol level at that time might be the key here.

Might be a also a good idea to present your German criminal crime record which hopefully turns out to be clean.
The fact you are a German citizen might be in your side as well.

I personally think you will not get any jail time at all. But you won’t get away with simply nothing either.
I guess you better prepare to pay a fine and that it will be.

You won’t get deported, but whether your work related ARC will be extended I guess nobody, even a lawyer are able to tell you, because that depends on each case individually I guess.

I myself got into trouble last year and received a court letter as well (based on different charge though) ~ I was lucky and got away with a warning only.

Anyway, please keep us updated.

1 Like

I guess this part the lawyer is supposed to be a help, since OP seems to have no idea how to do, though it might be recorded in a police report.

@ OP
There is an active FB group named “German living in Taiwan”.
Some of its members are actually a lawyer. Not sure what their specialty are, but since they have an active license here, they (should) know the basics.
Maybe worth (trying) to reach out for help.

I know a German lawyer. Can pass along a message if needed.

My guess is OP contacted one of lawyers in the lawyer list on German Institute Taipei site.

[mod edit]

Anyways, best of luck. I’ll check the papers to hear the end result of your case. Fortunately, as its your first offense you’ll just get either a) a suspended sentence or b) a fine…P

The reason you can’t see why he should have a lawyer is one reason why he should have one.
A lawyer can speak up for you and secure your rights while you maintain being very, very sorry.
How about, " I am so so sorry but I don’t remember anything and therefor should be acquitted of committing the crime. "
That’s just completely schizophrenic. If the prosecution turns out to be not very lenient, they will rip you apart.
The same for, " I am sorry, but the officers did not get hurt and and and".
You do the first part of the sentence only and the rest does your lawyer, anything else is just foolish.

1 Like

Any further replies in the vein of “responsible adults don’t do X” are just beating a dead horse at this point. We have a separate thread for that kind of thing.

Thank you all for being responsible adults and keeping this a useful and civil discussion space. :rainbow:

I’m locking the thread for now.

3 Likes