I would very much like an alternative forum that was much more heavily regulated

If it’s any consolation, some of us more sane people in the center and left are pushing back more these days.

2 Likes

I was surfing around and ran out of google news. I still like to read the Beer directory and sometimes see a new thread that’s interesting. My point is just that 10- 15 years ago Forumosa was my go to site for killing time, but now when I log on the active threads are mostly just this.

2 Likes

When you watch american TV, the trump vote becomes painfully clear :frowning:

You can easily make those politics threads disappear.

2 Likes

There is no conflict between the statements.

Why?

In the context of American politics, it’s irrelevant what Canadians think to me. I don’t expect Canadians to all of the sudden demand the same thing Americans do, it’s their country.

I don’t go to Italy and tell Italians I think their ideologies are extreme, and some of them are to me.

5 Likes

Yes but we’re discussing these things in Taiwan, as part of a global village. So a free for all is what it should be. This isn’t Americans in America roasting marshmallows and whittling wood. This is all of us comparing our life experiences.

9 Likes

That required the preface “SATIRE:”?

But if we are talking about American politics, especially domestic policy, what Canadians think is extreme is irrelevant to me. Why would Americans need to think how their views are to Canadians when talking about American politics?

2 Likes

I like getting the perspective of others looking in from the outside. America’s part of the global community and what happens there affects other countries in direct and indirect ways.

I imagine most Canadians, Europeans, etc. would love to ignore America but it’s basically impossible to do so.

1 Like

That’s not the issue in question. It’s that Americans should consider their ideas compared to other countries when talking about American politics. Why?

Is that what non-American posters are demanding in IP? I don’t actually know what goes on in there these days to be honest.

Someone just posted american should open up and consider how their ideas compare to others.

I don’t see any reasons to do so when talking about American politics. Most of us live in other countries and are completely aware of other points of view. You don’t see Americans lecturing Canadians that their ideas are extreme to us and they should become more like America.

1 Like

Can’t you just have it out with the poster in question?

1 Like

I would say because it would be better (in my opinion) for the human race and its progress and survival if people didn’t make nationality (plus religion, political affiliation, etc.) such a large part of their identity, especially to the degree you just implied with the opinions of “outside” groups being irrelevant.

That’s particularly the case in a forum like this, where we’re just a bunch of strangers from various places endlessly discussing stuff on the internet. I tend to read your posts when I see them, and often (but not always) disagree, but it would be stupid for me to just completely disregard them because you’re a (from what I gather) Taiwanese American Christian Republican-leaning capitalist male or whatever (you can rearrange the adjectives as you prefer, just an example).

I’m not saying to disregard anyone.

I am saying that what others consider as extreme to them is irrelevant to me when talking about American politics.

It would be pretty ignorant of me to ask Canadians to consider how their views might come off to me when talking about their politics.

1 Like

you missed my point. I was responding to the poster who said people, he was referring to me and others, think the views in the IP thread are extreme. he thinks they are quite normal. I told him that the views held by the American right are considered extreme by most other country’s and that right leaning Americans should reflect on that. they should stop telling others that their views are moderate because they’re not. they’re really quite extreme and that’s not a reflection on me.

1 Like

Not really, I think. People can do what they want but, again, I find it weird in the current context that you consider “American” or “Canadian” etc. as such an important part of one’s identity.

Do you have an opinion on Chinese politics, or is that similarly an internal Chinese matter where the opinions of outsiders are irrelevant?

1 Like

It’s all relative isn’t it. They can do whatever they want. It’s like them telling you the same thing.

It’s only extreme in comparative to another. Why shouldn’t you consider that you’re coming off as extreme to them? You frequently say you’re a centralists. I can accept that when you speak about Canadian politics, but you often say that when speaking about US politics.

this is an open thread in Taiwan, not for Americans

1 Like