Ice cream! (Common Brands)

So hot, walking around Taipei today and the outdoor pools aren’t open yet. So, my friend and I decided on ice cream as a good second choice to cool down with. The trouble is, the only places we could think of were Swenson’s and Friday’s, both are ok but not great.
I recall there used to be a cool place in Ximenting run by an American guy but I don’t know if that’s still around. Maybe it was called Gelato?
Any other recommendations or favourite spots?

Global Mall in Chung Ho (the biggest mall in Asia, I believe) has a Hagendacz (sp.) restaurant in the top floor.

Expensive but well worth it!

teggs

There’s another Hagendaaz (spelling?) on Dunhwa N. Rd. close to Chunghsiao E. Rd.

Alleycat’s has the best ice cream I’ve ever tasted, as I’m sure has the Italian Job, which also has nice outdoor seating.

Someone needs to import Ben and Jerry’s.

It is the best ice cream in the world IMO.

The American guy you are refering to has moved to a new location at the entrace of Escape pub. 2 min walk from Da’an station on the corner of Xinyi and Fux-ing.

Excellent stuff.

I’m fairly sure the biggest mall in Asia isn’t in Taiwan.
It’s in Manilla or China.

雪王

Taipei, Wuchang Street, Section 1, #65

This place has been there for over 50 years, and it serves approximately 70 different flavors of traditional taiwanese style ice cream… In addition to the regular popular flavors such as taro, passion fruit, and banana, the store carries a lot of odd (for ice cream) flavors, such as sesame chicken, pork, corn, beer, hot pepper, ginger, and many others.

Their fruit and various nut flavored ice creams are fantastic.

Can you folks see the Chinese characters at the top of this post? I cannot… :s

[quote=“Tigerman”]

This place has been there for over 50 years,[/quote]

That place is great but the fat content of the ice cream is relatively low, so some might not find it to their liking. for what it is, i love it though.

the place in ximending was called primo gelato, was wondering where he went! found his fruit flavors a touch bitter the time i went. will try his new location next time in neighborhood.

the italian place in basement of sogo is a longtime fave for me. soft and light. forget name.

tutti frutti in tienmu next to kingstone bookstore in alley next to mc’ds is my fave now though. fresh from the steel tray it’s great, and he has fridges with packaged cups in jason’s now as well.

[quote=“Tigerman”]
??

This place has been there for over 50 years, and it serves approximately 70 different flavors of traditional Taiwanese style ice cream… In addition to the regular popular flavors such as taro, passion fruit, and banana, the store carries a lot of odd (for ice cream) flavors, such as sesame chicken, pork, corn, beer, hot pepper, ginger, and many others.

Their fruit and various nut flavored ice creams are fantastic.

Can you folks see the Chinese characters at the top of this post? I cannot… :s[/quote]

I can’t see them either. MEAT flavored ice cream? DIRECTIONS required ASAP. :notworthy: I have a feeling where it is but it would be better with directions.

[quote=“elektronisk”]

I can’t see them either. MEAT flavored ice cream? DIRECTIONS required ASAP. :notworthy: I have a feeling where it is but it would be better with directions.[/quote]

go to back of foreign affairs police station on chung hua road, continue into park across cobblestone street, then turn left and cross wuchang. it is on wuchang one shop down from yenping s rd.

I think a foreign-run ice cream stand recently opened up in the Shida nightmarket. I heard it’s the owner’s second location. I’ll try it and report back.

That’s not Ice-Cream, that’s Gelato, made right here in Taiwan by Yens Fink of Tutti Frutti fame. He’s got a shop in Tienmu but you can get the scoop right here on Lishui Jie.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gelato

Gelato is made using milk instead of cream. That’s the difference. Sounds strange but seems to make a better tasting “ice-cream.” We’ll also have sorbet in the summer, made without any dairy products, so suitable for vegans and the lactose intollerant.

Best,
Alan

雪王

Its near the back door of the Foreign Affairs Police Station on Zhonghua Rd across from Ximending. If you go out the back door of the FAP and turn left you will cross Wuchang Street. Turn right after crossing Wuchang Street and cross the first lane… a few doors up on the sidewalk of Wuchang Street is a big “73”… that’s the place.

This place really is neat. Thier watermelon ice cream has real watermelon seeds in it… the lychee ice cream is fantastic, as is the blueberry, and the cherry, and the almond, and the coconut, and the bananna… Mmmmm!

Let us know what you think… :slight_smile:

Thanks for the directions Tigerman and Tempo Gain. Sounds great. :scooby:

(I can see the Chinese now too.)

Primo Gelato

Anthony (Tony) Neilly operates his shop out of the entrance of Escape nightclub/lounge on Fushing S.Rd No.13 Sec.2 next to Da’an MRT Station.

Mobile: 0938 277943

anthony.neilly(at)gmail.com

This is the same guy that used to have a stand set up in Shiemending. He’s been around for years. The icecream (Gelato) is quite nice.

[quote=“Tigerman”]
雪王

Can you folks see the Chinese characters at the top of this post? I cannot… :s[/quote]

I can see them. You wrote Xue Wang - Snow King.

[quote=“M0NSTER”]Primo Gelato

Anthony (Tony) Neilly operates his shop out of the entrance of Escape nightclub/lounge on Fuxing S.Rd No.13 Sec.2 next to Da’an MRT Station.

This is the same guy that used to have a stand set up in Shiemending. He’s been around for years. The icecream (Gelato) is quite nice.[/quote]
Yes. ESCAPE is the best place to have delicious ice cream. Call Vivi for dinner reservations of any size at 0968-637-116 or just stop in. Located 15 min walk to Taipei 101 and a 30 second walk from Da’an MRT startion on Fusing S. Rd Sec.2 between the 7-11 and the MRT station.

[quote=“Richardm”][quote=“M0NSTER”]Primo Gelato

Anthony (Tony) Neilly operates his shop out of the entrance of Escape nightclub/lounge on Fuxing S.Rd No.13 Sec.2 next to Da’an MRT Station.

This is the same guy that used to have a stand set up in Shiemending. He’s been around for years. The icecream (Gelato) is quite nice.[/quote]
Yes. ESCAPE is the best place to have delicious ice cream. Call Vivi for dinner reservations of any size at 0968-637-116 or just stop in. Located 15 min walk to Taipei 101 and a 30 second walk from Da’an MRT startion on Fusing S. Rd Sec.2 between the 7-11 and the MRT station.[/quote]

Flicks snot in your direction :smiling_imp:

Not an ice-cream place but McD have really good ice-cream in Taiwan. It’s from I-Mei, a small chain w/ products like Milk, cookies, candies which you can find at their own store or supermarket…

It’s really good…