ICL (Implantable Contact Lens)

Have anyone had ICL? LASIK is poplular in Taiwan, but I never knew ICL until very recently. Done some google search and come to know there are some clinics doing it, seems a lot more expensive than LASIK. Appreciate any info, especially from someone who actually has experience. Cost, aftercare, etc.

1 Like

I’ve never heard of ICL. I have heard of IOLs, or intra ocular lenses. After a quick Google I see they are the same. They are of a similar geometry to contact lenses

IOLs became approved for elective surgery back in 2007 or so. They can increase pressure in the eye, which can increase the risk of glaucoma, but then I haven’t actively researched the topic in almost ten years

Two positives:
•the procedure was developed out of cataract surgery, the most common perfumed surgery in adults over some age, so it’s a mature process.
• It can be used to recover sight after botched or failed laser surgery.

If you are a candidate for lasik, or the premium femtosecond laser procedure, consider that first. I think it will likely be cheaper, too

1 Like

I see. This is where I came to know ICL so I thought ICL is the name, but I guess you are right.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHkkAlynpkr/

She says her sight improved to 2.0 and I thought that is remarkable…

Due to my high astigmatism, I’m not a candidate for LASIK. Perhaps IOL is suitable for me?

That’s what they say. @Andrew0409 had a thread on the topic:

I am very near sighted, with astigmatism, and so wrote off lasik many years ago, but techniques have apparently evolved to meet these two challenges.

Whether those techniques are both avaliable and mature in Taiwan is up to the patient’s due diligence.

2 Likes