ICRT (part 2)

Thanks for the advice.

However, I only listen to it while driving in my old yulon. :cry:

Sure radio online is neat if you have adsl or 2 way cable.
I only have one way cable (need to dial-up), therefore it’s bloody expensive to listen online.

And… I don’t have internet connection in the car yet, so, I have to listen to ICRT, a local station or not listen at all. No fancy stereo in my car.

I’m usually in my car about the time of the morning report and sometimes for the evening news and try to catch that. The reception is really bad down here dure to intereference from other (illegal?) stations, so it takes a lot to tempt me to switch from my CDs to FM 100. Stefan and Tim are both capable of making me switch right back again.
I also hate the stupid polls right in the middle of the news report. :unamused:

Listen to music on the radio?? Forget it. And if you think the ICRT playlist is short, check out BCC sometime.

Speaking of being forced to listen to the radio, you know that the convenience stores have deals with the radio stations that pay them to play their station exclusively in stores island-wide? Bad enough to be on minimum wage, let alone have to listen to garbage all day and not be able to change channels or can it!

Well, Stefan is a Belgian reporter and that’s why his pronunciation is a little different. But hey it’s an International Community Radio station (ICRT)

The new news guy Randall or something. His voice is so dull … man. Makes me want to go back to sleep when he is on.

No excuse, neither his English or his Chinese are up to scratch. It’s supposed to be an English-language station, not Flemish with English segments. Honestly, I can hardly understand him sometimes. Let’s not even start on his Mandarin. :unamused:

It’s supposed to be an International radio station, with English presentation.

In fact Chinese shouldn’t be spoken at all at ICRT.

BTW, how do you know he is Flemisch, he can be French or German speaking.

But, if you want to make it a real ICRT they better bring some programs in German, French, Spanish, Italian, Dutch.

I like most have switched off from ICRT a long time ago. As an international community station it is a disgrace.

If memory serves me correctly didnt ICRT pick up from where American Forces Radio or whatever title it had left off, hence the far to strong American influence on this station.

An true IC radio station would offer programming etc in all major languages, although the predominant language should be English.

just my 2NT worth

With an accent like that he sure isn’t a Walloon!

Randall was clearly employed because he can speak Chinese.
It drives me up the wall that he says “a” as “aye” and “the” as “thee.”
Now that I have mentioned it, I have probably ruined him for the rest of you… :sunglasses:

Randall voice sounds “Chinese” although he has an Italian name. Or am I wrong here.

I think it was AFN (American Forces Network). I used to listen to it way back in Belgium . I liked Wolfman Jack. This voice … and the music he played.

I agree, it’s to American centered, not much real International music played at ELRT (English language radio Taiwan) :laughing: . Probably most of the DJ’s don’t know more than the hit charts.

I don’t understand how anyone can listen to ICRT. I get more than enough of it in some 7-11’s and taxis. The DJ voice I can’t seem to get away from is that Dennis Nieh (is that his name?) guy from the McDonald’s commercials and Lotto announcements. His artificially low voice and studied pronounciation drive me up the wall in Chinese or English. If I turn to a station with him on it, I find myself riveted to the TV asking myself why no one is smacking him. I had my chance to smack him when he stood on my foot at Dan Ryan’s while watching this year’s Super Bowl. I was in mid-smack when he said, “excuse me” in a normal voice. Stopped me in my tracks.

Yes, YOU can make a difference.

ICRT operates in the dark - not in the black, unfortunately - but in the dark.
They, the management, haven’t a clue about what music people want to hear.
Like I’m saying anything new here, right?

Here’s the thing: write to ICRT and tell them what you want to hear on the radio. Email them. Go to their web site www.icrt.com.tw and click on ‘send your comments’. No need to be rude - they’ll ignore you if you are. Just tell them the names of songs or groups you’d rather hear on the radio than ‘Air Supply’.

Don’t expect changes over-night. But I know that the DJ’s for the most part, do not get to play the music they’d prefer to play for you. It’s management who makes those lame decisions.

International Community Radio Taipei - make community the operative word again. Make them respond to the international community. Do an email blitz and get your voices heard.

Palandiliar

I thought there were marketing research consultants for such things. AC Nielsen would be happy to conduct an islandwide survey, I’m sure. For a nominal fee.

Who is ICRT’s TARGET AUDIENCE anyway? I very much doubt that asking folks on Forumosa what they’d like to hear would give you a good cross section of what the general Taiwan populace prefers.

AC Nielsen? What a fantastic idea! But AC Nielsen wants money for their services and ICRT won’t pay it. At least, that’s they I hear it. They have no idea who their target audience is except that their listeners must understand English. That leaves out the general Taiwan population as most do not speak or understand English.

But your main audience are Taiwanese who either want to practice their English listening comprehension, or get laid by the deejays. Right?
I would venture to guess that foreigners make up about a 5% market share at best. You’re asking the wrong people what they want to hear, music-wise if you want to improve your ratings.

You’d have shows ranging from Johnny Cash (RIP) to rave music if you glanced through the music topics and musical opinions on this site. It’s very transparent and also diverse. Just like the political views.

I completely agree with Alien. I’m not quite sure what’s the point of this exercise. I wouldn’t want to listen to any radio station that took its cues from online forums like this.

Hello,
Good points, however, I am not an employee of ICRT. I’m not looking to improve ranybody’s ratings. I want a better English radio station in Taipei than ICRT has been.
Nothing’s wrong with diversity in programming, by the way. ICRT management needs a nudge from the community. An email blitz might do it.

Palandiliar –

I’m not accusing you of anything; I’m sure you have good intentions. (Even if you did work for ICRT, I wouldn’t care.)

But I’m not sure that an e-mail blitz would have the desired effect. You’re operating under the assumption that more opinions from the foreign online community is a good thing. How do you know that’s the case? Listen to the opinions first before deciding. If the last time this question was posed to Forumosans is any indication, most opinions will be either hostile or uninformed.

It is possible that, as is the case with English language newspapers here, the management of ICRT considers the opinions of foreigners irrelevant.

Well, I’m pretty sure the management is now all Taiwanese.