Icy Hot Stunting

I went to school on my CPI the other day. I’ve worked out that when you see one of those crests in the countryside when a little lane comes down and joins a bigger road, creating a little ramp, the best thing to do is not to try to get air off it (which usually results in a very small jump) but simply to pull back on the bars and hold it open. I did it a few times to make sure, you can do a decent wheelie which I’m sure looks awesome. All I need to do now is go for a ride with someone with a camcorder so they can film me doing it. I bet it looks ace!

Also, I’ve almost perfected the art of the u-turn skid followed by wheelie out at the other side. Equally cool to watch for the bystander I’m sure.

Any other CPI owners care to share their riding techniques? What else can you do that looks cool?

Cheers

PS. My CPI still works despite very little use!

Where do you live? If nearby, I’m game to be the cameraman.

Where do you live? I just want to confirm that I live somewhere else.

[quote=“jaame”]I went to school on my CPI the other day. I’ve worked out that when you see one of those crests in the countryside when a little lane comes down and joins a bigger road, creating a little ramp, the best thing to do is not to try to get air off it (which usually results in a very small jump) but simply to pull back on the bars and hold it open. I did it a few times to make sure, you can do a decent wheelie which I’m sure looks awesome. All I need to do now is go for a ride with someone with a camcorder so they can film me doing it. I bet it looks ace!

Also, I’ve almost perfected the art of the u-turn skid followed by wheelie out at the other side. Equally cool to watch for the bystander I’m sure.

Any other CPI owners care to share their riding techniques? What else can you do that looks cool?

Cheers

PS. My CPI still works despite very little use![/quote]

There is a Taiwanese guy that races out at the track and rides a SM250. I have never seen a Taiwanese person stunting, but the last race during the lunch break he and 2 other guys riding SM250’s went out on the track and where showing off with all sorts of stunts. Wheelies, etc. They were actually pretty good. He has two sets of rear wheels, a race wheel, and a stunt wheel. When he stunts he uses a huge rear sprocket and airs down the rear tire a bit. If you go out to the track I can introduce ya. He will be out there racing this Sunday.

And use a full face helmet and long sleeves so they don’t see it’s a foreigner. We get enough bad publicity.

Where I come from you loose your license for doing wheelies and I think such behaviour belong off public roads. If you have full control or not don’t matter, but your encouraging this kind of behaviour among others that might not have full control

On my CBR150 ive been trying to use the clutch a bit for wheelies. In first at a light ill get rolling fairly slowly, then pull in the clutch rev it to about 10k then drop it. You can start practice releasing the clutch at different rev points to see which is most comfortable. Im no master yet, but its kind of fun playing around with it. Rev it quite quickly, but you dont need to rev it at wide open throttle. I usually use about 80% throttle then drop the clutch. But make sure your rolling first, and not from a dead stand still. I usually start to pull in the clutch when im at about 10-20 KPH. If you mess up…just slow down again to that speed to reset and try all over.

not much of a stunting scene here AFAIK. Saw some supermotos take over a session once at he track and do a bunch of wheelies and stoppies, but nothing else. If you can manage to find an empty parking lot somewhere you might be able to practice some cool stuff :thumbsup:

Just make sure you’re icy hot while you’re doing it.

Good to put a name to a face, though. Which one are you?

[quote=“sandman”]Just make sure you’re icy hot while you’re doing it.

Good to put a name to a face, though. Which one are you?[/quote]

Which guy is redwagon?? :slight_smile:

I think motorcycle stunting is awesome! I don’t agree with illegal stunting on local streets, but if you’re in a controlled environment or on private property, I think there is nothing wrong with it. I have thought about buying an illegal big bike for years and turning it into a stunt bike. You can find illegal bikes here for so cheap. In the states there are businesses and motorcycle clubs that only cater to the stunting scene. Why isn’t there one here. There could even be money to be made. There are custom stunting parts that go for hundreds of dollars back home on EBay, like custom crash cages, sprockets, foot pegs, etc. Two weeks ago a friend gave me a stock Yamaha FZ that runs fine. Needs new tires and a little TLC to be road worthy, but I have already thought of making that into a stunt bike. All I need is a huge rear sprocket, aftermarket front brakes, some big balls, and a cage welded to the frame so I don’t break the handle bars every time I fall.

Since I have been here, I have only ever seen one stunt show and it was really armature. I have only seen maybe 2 riders her ever do a wheelie on the road. I wonder why there isn’t a small stunting scene here, maybe we need to start one 

Absolutely. Nothing builds bike control skills faster than stunting or MX racing, IMO. However, the side-effects here of this sort of scene taking off are going to be a massive increase in accidents on the street as kids try stunting on public roads, and you know they will. A couple of years back I went to see a BMW demo featuring (IIRC) Chris Pfeiffer. After the show was over there were at least 20 scooters thrown down the street by would-be imitators. I think the guys on bigger bikes are too well aware of the parts bill a small spill would create to do this kind of thing on their street bikes. The idea of using up the old illegal imports for this is great, but then people are going to have to trailer them somewhere to do it, and I know that a lot of people will not do anything like this unless there is a crowd watching them. As smellybumlove found, just rocking up to a parking lot somewhere is inviting police intervention so a safe place to stunt might be hard to find.

Come to think of it, I think this fad has come and gone here. Years ago it was fashionable to put super low gears into a scooter and ride everywhere on the back wheel. Lasted about two summers I think. But, stunting on anything without enough power to pull off a decent wheelspin is a bit lame, IMO.

As to the stuntaz, I’m the mean-looking one, but I’ve since embarked on a solo career. :wink:

Did anyone see the Red Bull X Fighters when they were at CKS back in January this year. I thought this may have just been a demo and then they were going to put on a big show somewhere, but couldn’t find any further info about that.
They were pretty cool, did some back flips and huge a jumps and stuff. It was pretty windy and the tiles were a bit wet. One guy got blown sideways during his jump landed on the down ramp right on the side, had to jump off that mid way down, then had to stop before hitting the barriers. As soon as he touched his brakes, he hit the deck. But he got back up again and did the same jump all over again…

I saw a docco on Discovery Turbo with that English bloke. I recall the rules were that your bike has to be over 500 or 550cc and have at least 2 cylinders. That means they want to keep out trials, motards and mx bikes. Therefore, the best bike to learn tricks on must be a trials bike, a motard or an mx bike!

I’m pretty decent at messing about on a mountain bike so I expected to be pretty quick to learn wheelies on my CPI. Getting it up is pretty easy but holding it on the point of balance which is pretty much second nature to me on an MTB proved to be pretty difficult. Every time you touch the brake the suspension squats a bit before the front comes down and I inevitably end up pushing the brake a bit too hard, then the bike’s going too fast for first gear to work at getting it back up again. Shifting to second didn’t give me any more joy so in the end I just gave up trying to get better. I know I just need to loop it a couple of times in the pursuit of learning the balance point, but I can’t bring myself to do it. I must be getting sensible in my old age. Plus I was doing it by myself and a lot of people were giving me funny looks. I thought someone might call the pigs. And lying in the road at age 29 is a lot more embarrassing than at 15 I’m sure.

Stoppies wise, I can roll a stoppie for a respectable distance on a mountain bike because I spent about four hours a day learning how to do it when I was 15. On my CPI I can get the wheel off the ground but only when coming to a standstill which probably looks like I just pulled the brake too hard to the bystander. The standard front brake lacks the bite, feel and power necessary to quickly get it up onto its nose then just modulate on the point of balance. Also the point of bite of the front brake is too far out from the bar at its loosest setting. It bites at the point where your finger has very little power. You need to get it biting very close to the bar to get good finger power, right inside your inner finger joint.

One thing I did to help with wheelies was to cut the end off the clutch lever so I can let it out with one finger and keep three firmly on the bar. It made a huge difference to me, coming from a mountain bike one finger levering background.