Identity politics and dating

Not my point, but I sort of like it anyway.

5 Likes

Watch out for the background music when someone comes back for a nightcap:

Obviously this is a publicity stunt by the radio station, as are many #metoo outrages. However, it is interesting to read some of the outraged replies. Do people really believe the song is about date rape drugs? It’s difficult to tell these days as it’s so unclear what motives are in online discourse.

1 Like

That song is annoying as hell either way.

2 Likes

Preform “health the world” at 93 Super Bowl halftime show.
THEY didn’t like the message.
Get accused of child molestion a few weeks after the preformance.

Really makes you think :thinking:

This has gone to the length of removing the woman’s agency to make her own decision. At a minimum, she could make it clear that she’s not interested in continuing the conversation, but she doesn’t. The man is trying to convince her to adopt his point of view verbally only. Nothing implies any inappropriate act or association from the man in the song. That they bring in the obviously forced date rape idea just shows how empty the argument is.

5 Likes

These people aren’t going to be happy until humans stop reproducing and go extinct, leaving behind an environmentally friendly green planet with dolphins as the apex predator.

4 Likes

I think that scenario would be better.

1 Like

Good thing you’re not in charge. :hushed:

I would never have the balls to take the necessary steps. Human population will decrease to a sustainable level in a controlled or uncontrolled fashion.

I don’t believe there was any malicious intent, but it’s not hard to see where they got the notion. We’re not talking Wilson Bryan Key level w(h)ackiness here. Some things just sound different after 74 years.

The original almost original version:

1 Like

I’m so thankful I grew up when I did and am not “dating” now. The Western World is phucked.

3 Likes

Nice bit of googling @yyy. Notice it’s the man “trying to leave” in the second version. I’d never even heard the song before and I was quite surprised at the risque lyrics (or at least risque implications) in a song from 1949.

It really is sad when people misunderstand this kind of thing. They seem completely unaware of the historical context: ie., people indulged in this sort of charade to maintain their own sense of propriety, however hypocritical that might have been. Not to mention the lack of effective contraception back in the day. Basically, though, it’s a mating ritual. If the game was played incorrectly, you wouldn’t be getting any action. It had precisely the same function as non-human mating rituals - a screening procedure.

And we’re not going out with a bang or a whimper, merely a petulant whine.

4 Likes

Originally 1944, before the film. I suppose it doesn’t help the “totally innocent flirting” angle that the sheet music shows one voice as “Mouse” and the other as “Wolf” :mouse: :wolf: but then again, it was written for a husband & wife duo, so…

In any case, you humans are going out with a bang or not at all. :2cents:

Spacey’s a bit creepy and appears to be losing the plot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZveA-NAIDI&feature=youtu.be

1 Like

Hard to understand how he thought this was a good idea. He must be a massive narcissist.

Super creepy.

He is, without a shadow of a doubt, a massive narcissist.

he has more to worry about being a pedophile

Even the way he washes his hands is really unsettling. If his Rod Stewart impersonator brother is telling the truth about their family background it’s not surprising.