Identity politics and dating

That sounds very specific. Are you into Slavic beauties yourself?

2 Likes

Looks are only one facet

Because youre approaching this from the mindset of a women. Men don’t generally get so descriptive about features and know all these ways of describing things with a long list of demands. It’s a yes or no for me, and I have some basic requirements of things I find attractive like not being fat. Men don’t go into describing or know words to describe jaw lines, nose bridges, shapes of eyes, using words like “petite”. We are simple when it comes to attraction.

But is it, really? It doesn’t sound very specific to me. I see leggy blondes in lots of different countries. Even here on occasion, although they have to work really hard to maintain that hair color. But most blondes do.

See, whats that even mean? “Leggy”? I see legs I like, I like. I don’t have words for them.

I guess it does boil down to people showing their ignorance, then, to say they prefer a race when really they just prefer attractive people.

Uh, what else, then? Because personalities range even more widely than looks ever could.

Just because someone prefers a race doesn’t mean they will equally like all people from that race. It’s a convenient and meaningful characterization.

1 Like

Isn’t it obvious?

It’s really just generalizations you have, like whats attractive is somewhat subjective.

Also culture. I don’t particularly like Taiwanese culture. Religious practices, way of thinking. So I say I don’t like Taiwanese girls. Doesn’t mean I won’t like one.

1 Like

It’s meaningless to me. :woman_shrugging:

That doesn’t change the fact that it does carry meaning. There are certain common traits which make Asian people more alike each other than when compared to people of other races, nationalities etc.

This seems like a huge simplification too, as attractiveness is very subjective. The women I find attractive in Taiwan usually stray pretty far from the standard of beauty prevalent here. And the women who do meet that standard I find repulsive.

3 Likes

You’re basically saying the idea of race is useless in society. In some cases, but in others it does have use.

It also doesn’t make sense in the context of multiracial people. Some people are technically Asian but don’t look very Asian. What of them? And so on ad infinitum.

Like Milker and Andrew have said, in the end it’s too subjective to call. That’s the main reason why it’s so meaningless to me. Because it’s like, okay, you like Asian women. I don’t know what that means to you, and I don’t really care.

I mean do you find no meaning when someone identifies themselves to you as german? You won’t make some quick generalizations to try to smooth things along and adjust as you get to know them?

Maybe they like beer? sausages? sauerkraut? Or maybe they don’t.

I think it’s a case of , “Why make it easy , when you can make it really complicated?”
Each preference is purely subjective and individual. Simply , if someone prefers certain general traits in a particular body type, facial feature, hair colour, they may say they prefer that “Race” , if they want to generalize…but it is just that , a generalization. They may also like tall, blondes, small dark haired people…anything.
Trying to establish why an individual likes a certain thing…even if they describe it as “Race” is impossible to understand . Maybe personalities or looks or money …but Race or “type” is not hard to understand as just another “general” preference marker, mixed in with other preferences.

1 Like

You mean like Marilyn Monroe Jesus of Nazareth?

Not really, no. I try not to assume too much based on nationality.

For me it’s more a case of “Why open your mouth if you’ve got nothing interesting to say?”

I think that’s really what it is. I just hate small talk.

Unless you’re a pom Asian usually means someone of East Asian appearance.
And a lot of people prefer people for the personal characteristics, perceived accurately or not, of a group

Really? You meet a german and you don’t assume they like german stuff? You go to another country and just don’t navigate through with generalities of people there? Don’t buy it.

Relax, it’s just shorthand. It won’t make you a bigot.