If I came to Taiwan for a semester to study, could I get a work visa and stay after that semester?

Basically I’m desperate to get into the country for an immersion experience. I have a TEFL certificate to teach English but who knows when they’ll let foreign teachers in. I’m applying to the Huayu Scholarship, but I’m wondering if I should apply for 6 instead of 9 months to improve my chances. If I entered the country as an international student, would it be realistic to then find a teaching job and get a work visa before my studies were over? What about if I came for only 3 months? Is this a possible work around?

1 Like

I like this thinking.

When I applied for the Huayu scholarship, they decided the length. I applied and when I was accepted they told me the scholarship length would be 9 months. It didn’t even sound negotiable. (I didn’t take it in the end. I realized employment was needed to sustain myself, as the scholarship is a lot of money but won’t cover tuition + basic living expenses, let alone have money left over for savings)

But you need to know if a student visa can be transferred to a work visa. You also need to be studying long enough to even need a visa. It’s perfectly legal in Taiwan to do short-term studies on a tourist (visa-exempt) entry. I don’t remember the length of that, but I know a lot of people who had carefully planned weekend trips to Tokyo or Shanghai because the school didn’t get them a visa because it was unnecessary. I would imagine Huayu would have that figured out, but it’s unusual for the left hand to know what the right hand is doing in this country…

1 Like

if you have an arc, it should be possible to switch visas. I know it is possible for degree seeking students (if you do a master’s here, you can switch to work arc when you graduate)
not sure if it is possible for short term language studies, best is to check the nia website or call them.